What is it with young people today? NF

Big Cliff

I used to work for my uncle bailing hay for $3 an hour in the 80's and from there I have never stopped working.. luckily my daughter doesn't mind working for something! She babysits right now and has chores when she gets home from school.. she also volunteers at the Equestrian Association for the Disabled in Mount Hope for 7 hours a week. I asked her once who tells her what to do there and her response was no one, we just go to work and do what we are supposed to do... I'm thankful she has a good work ethic.. she turns 13 soon so I hope the crazy hormone years don't ruin it.. and yes, I agree that there are a lot of kids these days who don't work for a darn thing..

Love listening to 50+ years old people criticizing the next younger generation. Like they they(we) have any damn idea what it's like to be 25 years old in 2016. They are faced with a multitude of pressures that didn't even exist 40 years ago. The post Lucas put up nailed it. It's easy to ramble on with the "I did this" and "I did that" but under what circumstances? What inflation rate, housing costs, cost of living? What about globalization and the effects that has had on the job market and the pressure to increase the base level education.

There is nothing wrong with this generation. Just like our parents were wrong when they made general criticisms about our whole generation. Kids will figure it out, just like us. And they'll do it their way, not our way...just like us.

Akrisoner, why would you have to work Union? Ive not ever worked Union and I like the idea but I also have seen how shiesty they can be, you work and pay your Union due every month for 10 years then you are laid off and never see work from them, yet in order to collect your accrued pension you need to continue to pay your union dues and if you want to take out the amount you have accrued good luck, they give a package instead of the actual amount.

Not to say that happens all the time but I have heard some horror stories like that from my shop teacher at Mohawk college

trust me guys. i would have loved to have taken a trade but its not as easy as you think.

I looked into trying to get into the electrician or plumbers union and its basically impossible unless your dad/uncle are already in the union.

Dont even get me started on how corrupt the education system is though...oh boy

let me just say that it was straight forward told to us in highschool that if you were smart you would take University level courses, go to university and get a job...and if you were dumb, then you took applied math and would go into the trades...

I took university math and it ruined my grades, i sucked at it

8 years later, 50% of the people that i know that went to university and had good grades are working menial jobs, meanwhile 100% of the dummys that took applied courses and went into the trades are making fantastic money and loving life.

One of the most succesful guys i know nearly failed out of school cause he was terrible at it and had a learning disability, now hes 28 making 150k a year...go figure.

I have many regrets in that regard and i actually blame the corrupt education system that was forcing us into useless college and university courses to inflate peoples pockets for the problem

My nephew is an electrician and he didn't have any family in the trade. My nephew in law is also and electrician and never had family in the trade.

I'm a baby boomer and I think the boomers were and are a self-absorbed generation. I hate to see boomers criticize the younger generations. Some of us had it tough, but not as many as today. Look at all the fairly high paying jobs in the auto,steel, and manuf. industries in Ont that boomers worked in. Where are they now? Largely replaced by McJobs, contract, part time etc..

Union worker for 10 years here. High rise concrete forming. I'm 27.

We make good money, yeah. I find it hilarious though when people say unions are ruining this country. This country was BUILT on immigrants and union workers.

I'd like to see the kids that graduated from george brown/uoft/ryerson/whatever the **** try my job.

Edited by hsousa

I remember hearing it from my grandpa who is now 87 and has been retired as long as I've been living (25 years)

"Unions are no good" while he sat back and collected a very nice pension from stelco, I remember he was making more money then one of my uncles off his pension while my uncle was raising 4 kids and he was able to work at stelco with my grandma at home with the 5 kids

Show of hands who can afford to build a new house on 3 acres while raising 5 children with a wife at home these days?

I remember hearing it from my grandpa who is now 87 and has been retired as long as I've been living (25 years)

"Unions are no good" while he sat back and collected a very nice pension from stelco, I remember he was making more money then one of my uncles off his pension while my uncle was raising 4 kids and he was able to work at stelco with my grandma at home with the 5 kids

Show of hands who can afford to build a new house on 3 acres while raising 5 children with a wife at home these days?

No one can. Well no one in the working class.

But I'll gladly take my nice union pension+gov pension when I turn 65... Or um by the time I get there, 75.

not any of us that currently work in the steel industry .. especially the old Stelco..

please share those winning loto 649 numbers with me. No need for more kids than the 2 I have but would like some room to fathom the idea...

I can.

Hard work, wise investments, planning etc.

And we have 7 kids

I am 37 and could retire right now if I wanted too (not gonna happen)

Again, different area though. Im in rural nw ontario and I could build a 6 bedroom house on 3 acres for 180,000 easily

Edited by manitoubass2

I can.

Hard work, wise investments, planning etc.

And we have 7 kids

I am 37 and could retire right now if I wanted too (not gonna happen)

Again, different area though. Im in rural nw ontario and I could build a 6 bedroom house on 3 acres for 180,000 easily

Lol might as well be a different planet, I don't think 180k would even buy you half an acre lot in Hamilton, and here is the lower end of prices in the GTA, but it is getting stupid here too, people asking 400k for a place that needs to be gutted

Lol might as well be a different planet, I don't think 180k would even buy you half an acre lot in Hamilton, and here is the lower end of prices in the GTA, but it is getting stupid here too, people asking 400k for a place that needs to be gutted

It was like that in grande prairie 10 years ago/till now

If I had the time Id buy 5-6 properties here now and flip em to the mining companies that need to house employees

And just to clarify, im by no means rich, so I hope nobody takes my posts as me being a pompous arsehead lol.

But we are what Id call, well taken care of or comfortable

All depends on how you live right, live within your means and you can set yourself up for success, I have a renter who has trouble coming up with his $450/month and the guy is 30 years old its pathetic, beer and smokes come first, and his girlfriend who's a lifer at Canadian tire wants to have a kid... Come on... Lol I have to annoy him for a week every end of the month so I have my money by the 1st

All depends on how you live right, live within your means and you can set yourself up for success, I have a renter who has trouble coming up with his $450/month and the guy is 30 years old its pathetic, beer and smokes come first, and his girlfriend who's a lifer at Canadian tire wants to have a kid... Come on... Lol I have to annoy him for a week every end of the month so I have my money by the 1st

Brutal...

Priorities, some people lack them.

I still dont own a boat or a new truck.

Well i have a a tinny but...

Ill buy that later

Id never buy a house and rent other than a company. Too much crap. Hope it works out for you

As for your son... See my first line above.

This comment rubbed me the wrong way. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it.

I don't have an answer Cliff. I'm comfortable and have lots of stuff, most of it crap, but I have no idea why I am so lucky when there's people that don't have enough to eat. I don't feel entitled, I feel grateful and fortunate. Hopefully the younger people will realize this as they mature.

Edited by chris.brock

Generalizations about generations are usually wrong. People ALWAYS talk down about bad experiences but rarely give nearly the same energy to relating the good ones.

I have worked with a lot of youth in the service industry over the years and can honestly say there are still some kids TODAY who will be world leaders and some will only be able to take out the trash career wise.... That was true 30 yrs ago and is still true today.

Cliff keep looking, the kind of worker you want is out there, but as noted they are probably hard to find because they are busy already.

My two sons 27 and 23 are doing well. One is a fitness trainer and works for Microsoft,the other just finished 4th year Humber and heading to U of T for two years. .Wants to run a multi million $ company. Both my kids always helped me whenever I needed it,and now being in the city offer to come up and help me on their own dime. My boys are alright,lot of bad ones,and whenever they come up,they will not take a cent for helping me.You still as said can"t paint all kids with the same brush. But I do see Cliff,some won"t do anything.Kinda sad.I would of been all over that in my time .

Generalizations about generations are usually wrong. People ALWAYS talk down about bad experiences but rarely give nearly the same energy to relating the good ones.

I have worked with a lot of youth in the service industry over the years and can honestly say there are still some kids TODAY who will be world leaders and some will only be able to take out the trash career wise.... That was true 30 yrs ago and is still true today.

Cliff keep looking, the kind of worker you want is out there, but as noted they are probably hard to find because they are busy already.

I approve this message!

And to brock, we might have different careers but you know darn well we think alot alike.

Youll be fine, as will that beautiful lil family?

This comment rubbed me the wrong way. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it.

I don't have an answer Cliff. I'm comfortable and have lots of stuff, most of it crap, but I have no idea why I am so lucky when there's people that don't have enough to eat. I don't feel entitled, I feel grateful and fortunate. Hopefully the younger people will realize this as they mature.

I have to admit that it kind of rubbed me the wrong way too. I have always worked hard, always tried to give more than I ask for, always tried to teach them that family comes first. I spent 10 years going to my mother's place every morning to make sure she she was ok, had her meds, meals.Oh well, sometimes things just happen and we have to accept it!

He doesn't know me and he might even be right, perhaps I could have done a better job of being a parent, could be that I am to blame.

Some of the other comments surprised me, some kind of hurt! Am I expecting too much, sort of sounds like it! I guess I thought paying someone $15.00 an hour to do odd jobs around here was helping some one out. I wouldn't expect anyone to come out here for a couple of hours, I have always given or at least paid for a full day of work.

Oh well, we all make mistakes, some of us learn from them!

I have to admit that it kind of rubbed me the wrong way too. I have always worked hard, always tried to give more than I ask for, always tried to teach them that family comes first. I spent 10 years going to my mother's place every morning to make sure she she was ok, had her meds, meals.Oh well, sometimes things just happen and we have to accept it!

, perhaps I could have done a better job of being a parent,

the comment did bother me a bit too but I let it slide.

Cliff, you as a parent is not the call here in this post in how you educated your own son. Your ask was "what's wrong in this day and age" the way page one came off... This era we all work hard and younger kids like mine whom are 12 and 9 EXPECT unlimited internet as the normal. You may be 70, I'm 42 but not one day moving forward will be the same. Maybe you can start holding out your hand like the youth of today is? ;)

I hear you Big Cliff !

Not all but most are "over grown babies", it is the society we live in these days, stand in front of any high school in the morning, most get dropped off right at the front door, you should see their cell phones and other toys, nothing but the good stuff.

One of my co worker is a single parent, he can't go anywhere because his 21 and 24 year old "babies" can't feed themselves, he has to cook everyday. what is wrong with that picture ?

Many shops are closing in high schools due to lack of enrollment, most kids don't want to get their hands dirty, every one wants to play with computers, some sort of tablet, pod or pad.

Nothing wrong with keeping up with technology, but mom and dad might not be able to support you for ever, if you not good in academics, learn a trade !

I always try to tell the young people, everything can be made offshore, but we still need people to fix it here.

I am a licensed tradesman, I left home at 20 and have not taken a penny from my parents since then, after my dad retired, I always send them some money, not because they needed it but just to assure them that I am here for them.

I am now 57, after my dad passed away 15 years ago, soon after I brought mom to live with us, she is now 80 and me and my wife feel honored and thankful that we are able to look after her in her old age.

There are still some kids following the right direction in life, and thats good to see.