What is it with young people today? NF

Big Cliff

HUH, I see more uneducated dirt bags being the psychopaths then anyone else.......as a matter of fact, I don't see any CEO's being the psychopaths that you speak of........but of course maybe you have a better view from your point of view...............

The studies are quite clear... CEO's as a profession are up to 4 times more likely to be psychopaths than any other. Dirt bags didn't even make list unless you misspelled CEO bankers LOL

That's fight'n words, your rebuttal Canuck?

LOL fight over something online in a forum? I just consider the source and laugh it off.

OK, so I prepared this little diagram to illustrate my point of view(and maybe 'facilitate discussion', as they say in the corporate world :lol:;) )

bell-curve.jpg

At any given time, whether today or 100 years ago, there is a whole range of people from the extremely unmotivated to the extremely motivated. So these all fit under the proverbial 'bell curve'. I don't think you can argue that they are all the same 'these days' or were all the same way back in the 'good ole days'. You could argue that people today are less motivated, that someone considered a bit of a slacker in 1960, say, would be considered quite normal today. But I don't think you could argue that the curve for 1960 doesn't overlap at all with the one for 2016!! e.g. a slacker back then would be considered a keener these days.

................or, to put it in a nutshell: "Don't paint them all with the same brush, as I said in my post several pages back!

OldRoads_zpsprolanrh.jpg

Edited by SirCranksaLot

Girlfriend wants to live in the city, which sucks. Nothing less then a $400k condo available for a 100km radius. Oh well. Guess we are renting the rest of our lives.

I believe Toronto is that expensive...though I have not looked. However here in Oshawa....well within the 100 KM radius you mentioned.... you can get a nice home....especially if you are handy....for much less then $400K. Don't blame the "market" on being a forever renter. There are many creative ways to be a home owner. You just have to decide what sacrifices you are willing to make to get there if you don't have a ton of income.

Sorry Cliff for taking this 360 degrees off course of your original post. But I just can't keep quiet when I hear "young people" throwing up the white flag when it comes to home ownership.

I believe Toronto is that expensive...though I have not looked. However here in Oshawa....well within the 100 KM radius you mentioned.... you can get a nice home....especially if you are handy....for much less then $400K. Don't blame the "market" on being a forever renter. There are many creative ways to be a home owner. You just have to decide what sacrifices you are willing to make to get there if you don't have a ton of income.

Sorry Cliff for taking this 360 degrees off course of your original post. But I just can't keep quiet when I hear "young people" throwing up the white flag when it comes to home ownership.

When people are paying $1,000,000 +/- for teardowns in Toronto, the market may be harder to enter than you think.

And don't think that the $400,000 condo is a sure thing either. I've heard many horror stories about those places being poorly built with malfunctioning elevators or leaky windows. Often times when that's the case you're as much at the mercy of the condo corporation as you are a deadbeat landlord. Many of those condos were built to outlive their 7 year tarion warranty and not much more.

I work to fund my fishing and hunting addiction. I'm not looking to get rich. I own everything I have and my bills are paid. I don't have much, but its all mine, and I have everything I need to live a happy life and do the things I want to do. I can't complain. I did things kind of backwards. I started as a tradesman at 17 (carpenter), learned quick and ran my own company for 10 years, then went back to school at 30. Now I work a decent job with good benefits and retirement plan that involves my school training and my carpentry background in the outdoors. I love it. Life is good.

As a kid, nothing was handed to me. I had a paper route and delivered flyers when I was 8 or ten and have always worked for anything I wanted since. I've never had a problem finding a job, but I have a pretty diverse portfolio. Experience pays, not necessarily education. And, of course, its not what you know, but who you know a lot of the time.

S.

When people are paying $1,000,000 +/- for teardowns in Toronto, the market may be harder to enter than you think.

And don't think that the $400,000 condo is a sure thing either. I've heard many horror stories about those places being poorly built with malfunctioning elevators or leaky windows. Often times when that's the case you're as much at the mercy of the condo corporation as you are a deadbeat landlord. Many of those condos were built to outlive their 7 year tarion warranty and not much morIknow

I know the Oshawa market very well and that's the market I was commenting on if you reread my post. We have helped both our kids get houses in the last five years and my son is currently fixing up a condo to flip. He bought it in 2012 I believe for around 140K. He plans to list before the end of May for 240K.....still way under 400K. Plenty of fully detached nice homes in Oshawa for well under 400K.

you can go north of 9 too for under 400k. orangeville, shelburne, grand valley. new subdivision in gv starts at 330k i believe.

if you work mississauga, brampton or guelph not that bad of a commute

Edited by Raf

Theres lots of homes available for under 400k outside the GTA.

S.

You dont want to see what they built beside me. Townhomes. Oh wait it gets better.

Front door, garage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NO BACK YARD, for the kids to play in.

Oh it gets better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

$250,000.

I'm not looking to get rich. I own everything I have and my bills are paid. I don't have much, but its all mine, and I have everything I need to live a happy life and do the things I want to do. I can't complain.

Bang on brother, BANG ON

Wish I lived a little closer to you Cliff. I have 3 kids that could use some odd jobs to keep them off the electronics.

Drives me insane to see it. When I was their age, you couldn't keep me indoors no matter what the weather was like and the most I did was watch some TV before turning in for the night.

I try to get them outdoors as much as possible, but it's a struggle.

Wanted to take them to a kids fishing derby this weekend at a rod and gun club I belong to. All I heard was a bunch of groans. My son wants me to drive 1/2 hr. in the opposite direction to pick up his girlfriend or he won't go. He's minus a cell phone this morning.

I always watched my dad and his buddies whenever they were working on something. Learned a lot this way.

Fished with most of them too. Lots of stories to listen to. No one had a cell phone back then. People actually spoke to each other in person.

If I can get up your way sometime Cliff, no problem helping you out anyway I can. Maybe leave the kids with some chores while we fish. ;)

Cheers !

Remo

Edited by Carp

Experience pays, not necessarily education. And, of course, its not what you know, but who you know a lot of the time.

S.

Experience and education always goes hand in hand. (IMO)

As for the need to know someone, it sure does help; but not always needed, if you've shown your capabilities.

My son was all but raised here at my garage; he was mig welding his own push carts together when he was 10. He grew up working on cars and projects; he's a car nut 100%.

After high school he went for his BA in automotive engineering; shortly after graduating university, he landed a job at Cooper Standard. He was put in charge of designing, building computer controlled engine mounts for the 2016 Camaro and the Caddy CTS-V. and then selling Cooper Standard's offering too GM.

After the contract was signed and sealed, for Cooper Standard; the lead engineer of the Chevrolet division approached Andy with a job offer.

He's is now working in Warren Mich. at GM's technical center; put in charge of engine, transmission and body mounts for North American trucks; the youngest person ever offered this position in GM's history.

28 years old, pulling a 100 grand (US) a year; with all kinds of room for advancement.

Yea I'm bragging; but the point is, he got these jobs on his own; he knew no one at Cooper Standard or GM.

GM headhunted him, after they saw his work with the Camaro and Caddy.

Dan.

As for the need to know someone, it sure does help; but not always needed, if you've shown your capabilities.

My son was all but raised here at my garage; he was mig welding his own push carts together when he was 10. He grew up working on cars and projects; he's a car nut 100%.

After high school he went for his BA in automotive engineering; shortly after graduating university, he landed a job at Cooper Standard. He was put in charge of designing, building computer controlled engine mounts for the 2016 Camaro and the Caddy CTS-V. and then selling Cooper Standard's offering too GM.

After the contract was signed and sealed, for Cooper Standard; the lead engineer of the Chevrolet division approached Andy with a job offer.

He's is now working in Warren Mich. at GM's technical center; put in charge of engine, transmission and body mounts for North American trucks; the youngest person ever offered this position in GM's history.

28 years old, pulling a 100 grand (US) a year; with all kinds of room for advancement.

Yea I'm bragging; but the point is, he got these jobs on his own; he knew no one at Cooper Standard or GM.

Dan.

Dan, Congratulations.....you must of done more then just a couple things right raising that boy and you have every right to BRAG........

JOB WELL DONE ! ! !

Dan.

That is fantastic Dan, nothing much better than a proud Pop. Congradulations.

I get to brag now too.

My son just got a degree in environmental science..he was one of them that took a while deciding as he is 26 now.

He was offered a masters program in geo chemistry..this is a kid that got through high school with 50

's

His thesis is being published.

He just worked for and accepted a job in the Yukon doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctxj2CPYRg8#t=63.374145

I get to brag now too.

My son just got a degree in environmental science..he was one of them that took a while deciding as he is 26 now.

He was offered a masters program in geo chemistry..this is a kid that got through high school with 50

's

His thesis is being published.

He just worked for and accepted a job in the Yukon doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctxj2CPYRg8#t=63.374145

Nice!!!! My niece just graduated in BC with a degree in enviromental science too!

Awesome job Dad!

You too Dan!!! Thats so cool to hear your kids are killin it!

Nice!!!! My niece just graduated in BC with a degree in enviromental science too!

Awesome job Dad!

You too Dan!!! Thats so cool to hear your kids are killin it!

Cool

Both my son and daughter are now in a race with each other to be first to get a masters...kinda nice contest

Edited by Dara

The work is out there for the young people who want it bad enough. Both my kids set their goals and worked their asses off to meet it; they didn't wait for someone to hand them the jobs they have.

The only thing is, they've been so busy with their careers that I don't have any grand kids yet. LOL

Dan.

The work is out there for the young people who want it bad enough. Both my kids set their goals and worked their asses off to meet it; they didn't wait for someone to hand them the jobs they have.

The only thing is, they've been so busy with their careers that I don't have any grand kids yet. LOL

Dan.

We had that problem but for only two years or so........youngest boy had a girl in March '14.......oldest son had a girl Dec '14..........then last November both of them told us more on the way and now we find out one is having a girl on July 14th and the other is having a boy ALSO on July 14th......keep them coming ! ! ! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Mister G