Two missing on Pigeon Lake

Big Cliff

When in my boat I don't (although if its cold I will have a floater suit on)...but in the cold in a canoe? yes I do. Mind you...you see the paddle boat drifting...seems so innocent. You don't really think about it, probably only going a couple hundred feet. I can totally understand why someone would just head on out and try to retrieve it

With warm water temps I'm guilty of not wearing mine in my boat as well. But the second I'm in another person's boat you bet I am. Not due to trust issues but my boat is a bowrider and when I'm in others its a bass boat so it's easier to have things happen at a higher rate of speed and lower profile.

Sad day for those involved...

Sadly I don't believe a pfd would have made much difference unless they were wearing appropriate cold weather gear. Wet suit or much better, a drysuit, but not everyone will have or can afford either. With the water temps in the spring, they would have succumbed to hypothermia imo unless they didn't panic. Which is what happens when people hit very cold water very suddenly.

I hope they find them so there's closure for the families.

Edited by woodenboater

Sadly I don't believe a pfd would shave made much difference unless they were wearing appropriate cold weather gear. Wet suit or better, a drysuit but I not everyone will have or can afford either. With the water temps in the spring, they would have succumbed to hypothermia imo unless they didn't panic. Which is what happens when people hit very cold water very suddenly.

???a pfd aint saving naddas in low temps

Condolences to family and friends

For a bare minimum, a pfd would save the families more grief as the "search" would be over quicker.

Spare the rescuers and "recovery" teams as well.

Beside affording you a longer window for rescue of course.

I always think of not me falling into the water but, being hit by an out of control Jetski or Wake boarder.

Cheers,

Mark

Sadly I don't believe a pfd would have made much difference unless they were wearing appropriate cold weather gear. Wet suit or better, a drysuit but I not everyone will have or can afford either. With the water temps in the spring, they would have succumbed to hypothermia imo unless they didn't panic. Which is what happens when people hit very cold water very suddenly.

You are very correct.

Back in the early 90's my buddy and I were fishing the St. Kitts spring derby and another boat had issues with their motor in 4-6 footers.

They took 2 waves over the stern and went down, but they got a mayday call out on the radio.

There were quite a few boats out and help was there very quickly.

The guys in the boat were in the water hanging on to their semi submerged boat and told the rescuers they were just about ready to let go due to the cold water. This was after less than 1 minute in the cold spring water.

They all survived and were all sporting bran new survival suits the next week.

For a bare minimum, a pfd would save the families more grief as the "search" would be over quicker.

Spare the rescuers and "recovery" teams as well.

Beside affording you a longer window for rescue of course.

I always think of not me falling into the water but, being hit by an out of control Jetski or Wake boarder.

Cheers,

Mark

For a brief period. Pfds wont keep you afloat for long if current is involved. Ever see a dead body from drowning??? It might just rip the pfd right off you

Not familiar with the lake though so you may indeed be correct

Edited by manitoubass2

I have seen the OPP And several boats and I guess they are going to use the plane as well and drones for Arial search but I mean this stuff should not happen !!! The water temp is basically just above freezing and 3 in a canoe with no pfd on !!! It's just stupidity ..... And all for a paddle boat .... Unreal

A sad story indeed, turns out one of them is a mechanic at my work. Im not sure how knowledgeable they were about what cold water can do to a person.

I gotta admit though in the heat of the moment it could be easy just to jump in the canoe to go get the paddleboat 100 feet away without considering the consequences.

You will be missed spencer.

to me the obvious scenario here is that these guys reached out to grab the boat and a canoe being a canoe, it rolled dumped them in cold water and that was that...good luck going for a swim for 100 yards in the water at this time of year.

Sad sad story.

Never used to wear a PFD, but made the investment and got myself a cabellas guidewear auto inflatable...i wear it every time im on the water since.

Trust me guys its totally worth the investment!!!!

Well, i for one will be pulling some money out of my house savings to buy a survival suit.

Between early spring, late fall, and all of winter ice fishing i spend too much time hovering above ice cold water not to.

Before i had my daughter i definitely approached things with a little less caution but i want to be around for her so the ill play by the rules.

Spencer was 23, its a terrible tragedy.

Edited by Gallie

Well, i for one will be pulling some money out of my house savings to buy a survival suit.

Between early spring, late fall, and all of winter ice fishing i spend too much time hovering above ice cold water not to.

Before i had my daughter i definitely approached things with a little less caution but i want to be around for her so the ill play by the rules.

Spencer was 28, 2 years younger than me and too young for a fate like this.

Any one is too young....

I am sorry for your loss and also his families loss.

This is indeed very sad and frustrating. I don't have any numbers to quantify my gut feeling but it seems many more have lost their lives on the water this past winter and this spring. With all the bombardment of information coming at us from 360 degrees many would have learned by now that waters in this country are deadly cold. Even in lakes during the summer. I put my inflatable on before I get in the boat and only take it off when I get to the truck. Will it save me from hypothermia, no, but it may get me those few precious minutes I might need. When I hear that guys here can't afford an inflatable I want to scream. They are $99.99 now (on sale regularly at Fishing World, Hamilton). I bet the 1 rod and reel in their hands is more, just 1.

Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again. Many never get the chance to be wise, let us learn through their experiences and mistakes, please.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Recent Update on the Situation,

Body of male missing and presumed drowned recovered from the lake in the past 1-2 hours by searchers. Female still missing. Only her shoe recovered. Co-worker had beers with the victims on Saturday afternoon. Sunday they drowned. Sad situation. Always respect the danger of cold water, even though it looks almost the same as warm water.