Bombardier "Snow bug"

kickingfrog

I remember going out on Simcoe in one as a kid in the late 50's, back then they were simply called Bombardiers back then,as I believe that was the only thing they made at that time. Dad worked on the Mid Canada Line out of Winisk in 58 , he had a few photos of them in use up there.

Yup, they were the high light of our trips. Chubbs had three of them back when,

Those were the days B, I saw people going out at 3:30 in the afternoon already 'looped'! The stink was unbearable even in the huts!, but they would come out at 10 or so to see how it was going and gave the hockey scores!

If the heat gave out, well just pray! One bench back then and three guys, if you got lucky two benches!

It was about 8 bux for the night I think.

Like Dave, we always just called them Bombardiers, pronounced "Bom ba deers"

Yup you are right Chris, couldn't speak the French back then. What were we thinking out there with only trees for a trail at best!

One day comIng back in with a few of our cousins from down south, they had a 'bushel' full of ling, they didnd't know what they were and someone told them they were trout lol

Wish we knew how they tasted back then :(

When I was a kid, we went on a family vacation out west. (Around 1979). We visited Athabasca Glacier and went on one of these buses right onto the glacier. Was very cool! Funny I still remember the driver....for some reason I can still see his "Hi...my name is Hugh" sign st the front!!!

Like Dave, we always just called them Bombardiers, pronounced "Bom ba deers"

Yup, still quite a few around here.

Used to go out to the hunts in Simcoe back in the day in them.

My landlord has one in the lot beside my place.

One of these days he says he's going to restore it.

Floyd hales has been running them for years., along with a number of other operators . Not many running this year due to ice conditions, but they were still out in force up until last year, and I did see one smaller blue one out of Beaverton yesterday. Never heard em called a snow bug. We just call em bombers.

Edited by porkpie

I don't know about the Snow Bug handle as well as using them as school busses in the 40's up north. I do know they were used in WW2 to go where nothing else would. They were to be the best mode of transportation with weaponry for the military to protect Alaska from a eventual invasion from a Japanese landing there. Then to use against the Russians that could see Sarah Palins house from their base.

The first thing my Uncle from the US said when we went to Nippising in the 70's was I remember seeing those things during the war somewhere. He thought he remembered seeing them lined up in England on the base but not in action. On the Russian front they sure would be handy.

Good article Fish Farmer. Amazing that it lead to what is Bombardier today. (If it's the same person). Hales huts have several of them. They are hot rods! In the early 60s as a youngster I remember them on Simcoe. We're chasing the jumbos today with Stewarts Huts. Maybe next trip we'll book with Hales & get to ride in one.