Grieving dog help! Nf

Freshtrax

My neighbour had a heart attack yesterday and is at the hospital. The wife and i are watching his dog. A giant. Newfoundlander nammed lu lu. She is a sweet heart. has never left his side a day in her life, she won't eat,she won't go for a walk she just lays down at the end of drive way. Any one dealt with something like this before?

Thanks,

Edited by Freshtrax

We had to have my Dad's dog put down, because he wouldn't eat, drink or go outside to do his business; after Dad passed away. The dog was heart broken and just laid by the front door sulking. The only time he would look the slightest excited, was hearing someone at the front door and then back to sulking when it wasn't Dad coming in. Took Markie to the vet's and she said it is quite common for a loyal dog to do this; some pull through others just wither away.

The vet gave us some supplements, in liquid form to force feed him; but he just keep getting weaker and his messes were getting worse. After about a month of this; the vet recommended to have him put down.

Dan.

I would try to hold off on doing anything drastic until you know the outcome of the owner. Give it a couple of days and see how the owner is doing and how the dog responds, perhaps try to get her to eat some treats or something, small pieces of meat might work.

o yea nothing drastic is bieng done that's for sure, she will eat treats And drink water, and she is going to the bathroom in the yard, it just hard to watch as a dog lover. I'm thinking of going over and grabbing a jacket of hit for her to lay with?

Edited by Freshtrax

Such a sad story. It would be great to be able to get the dog to see the neighbour, I doubt the hospital will comply. If he can speak put him on the phone and let the pup hear his voice. We went through basically the same when we got divorced, I just went by to see her, and borrow my $$ from my ex.

Ever watch Hachi: A Dog's Tale :(

My kids and I watched it, I hid the dvd the second it was over it's that sad...

I also say get something with sent for the dog to lay with. Every time I had to kennel my dog for vacations in the past I'd leave an unwashed t-shirt for her to lay with, it helped her big time.

I think some can not be changed,I say that before Stella (I posted a picture some time ago) passed away,for some reason she sat at the door till I got home.Sitting on the couch beside me,one paw on my shoulder,following me EVERYWHERE all the time.We have the other two dogs still,but it was all about me.(not being egotistic here).Some dogs are so focused on one person some have no idea. To think when her time came,she had no hesitation getting in the truck with me ,and not even knowing where she going,just with me.Sorry for getting off topic a bit,but I still miss her everyday.Hopefully something will work out for you.

Edited by davey buoy

itd basically the same response a pup has when it leaves the mother for the final time, fear, anxiety, nervousness, something with the owner scent on it will help a lot with that, just like having something with moms scent on it helps with puppies.

Its tough to watch. try getting the dog active, either with another dog, or just playing in the yard

itd basically the same response a pup has when it leaves the mother for the final time, fear, anxiety, nervousness, something with the owner scent on it will help a lot with that, just like having something with moms scent on it helps with puppies.

Its tough to watch. try getting the dog active, either with another dog, or just playing in the yard

IMO,older dogs are somewhat set in their ways,not all,but some get a broken heart that cannot be fixed. Seen this a couple times through family.Having had a few dogs myself over the last 30 years,two were to strong willed to change .

lu lu is doing better! she ate tonight my wife hand fed her and told her it was treats, still wont go for a walk but likes to romp in the backyard. we have so separate her and our dog as neither her or our 130 lb bulldog is fixed. she is in the kitchen i block the door with a piece of plywood. more importantly Jim is getting better, responding to his name and breathing without a machine now.

This may sound very unusual but if you have open water nearby, take them there and instinct will take over. Knew a guy who had a Newf that was a rescue (abused and really withdrawn). Took it for a walk near water and as soon as pooch saw water, in it went and it opened up after that. Newfs are bred for the water so take it there. can't hurt...good luck