Legion closed and sold,,,,,,,,,,,WHY

misfish

The active enrolment is way down, as are The Elks, Knights of Columbus and the Shiners. As the members age and die off there are few new recruits to take their place. These organizations do so much good that is seldom publicized. I have often volunteered to help these organizations out without becoming a member. Each year there are fewer and fewer members. It is very sad. In this area the members are mostly in their 60s , 70s and 80s.

As Muddler stated, membership in these organizations is way down and the costs of maintaining the buildings upkeep (the one pictured looks in desperate need of some TLC) plus paying the taxes has increased over the years.

I am not sure if the next statement is entirely accurate, but membership as well as rentals etc. has decreased since smoking was banned and the impaired driving fines increased. I know that is not politically correct to say, but it is a contributing factor.

Dunno how accurate this is but I ran a quick google search based on your picture Brian:

http://www.country105.ca/podcast.php?PodcastID=866

Michael

When I can no longer keep up the house it would be nice to have a retirement home overlooking the Legion Hole. Putting my name on the waiting list :canadian:

Edited by dave524

As others have mentioned, membership across the board with community organizations has been in decline for a good 15 years and then some. The average age of the local Lion's club is 67. Service clubs cannot atteract young members. Different times, different values, different economics. We live in a world of "what's in it for me?"

Different times, different values, different economics. We live in a world of "what's in it for me?"

100%

Just wait till the parades don't have the Vet's, Knights of Columbus and the Shiners involved... Rather short parade I'd guess eh... Too bad values aren't always handed down each generation...

I totally agree with the concept and all for it but ... I think they might have shut themselves down over time and that could be a good thing.

The Royal Canadian Legion was originally restricted membership.. (ex-service members of Canada's Armed Forces and Merchant Navy)

That was a time in our history when many Men and Women went off to a war, stood guard in the cold war or peace keeping. Meaning lots of members

Now our Men and Women going off to war is a much smaller focused group compared to WWII.

Now that the Legion accepts people that have had no military experience it becomes a club just like many other clubs doing great things for the community.

I am sure around every active base there is a place where service members go.

No need for the government to help this.. Passage of time in another 20 years I think only the Legions that have branched out and have a good membership drive will survive.

Is that a bad thing?

For the life of me, I cannot understand how this can happen. Why would the other legions or goverment, not step in and keep the spirit alive ? We remember them each rememberance day, yet this is what I see this morning,,,,,,, :(

attachicon.giflegion 004s.jpg

Because your one day remembrance day each year doesn't help them stay afloat. When was the last time you sent them a Thank You Card with a check in it.

Our local legion would have my grandpa turning in his grave.

Its turned into a pool hall basically and full of 20 year olds that wont even remove their hats.

The guest book is gone and so is the old tradition of buying a round for everyone if you fail to remove your hat before entering.

???

Edited by manitoubass2

I used to knock the hat off my son's head as we walked in the door, followed by a little talking to.

Hahahaha! Good on ya!

I never needed that reminder but he said it EVERYTIME!

Our locals loved me lol I was the yound buck the vets loved. Helped I had a good job, bought beers, helped a few with food or bills, volunteered and I was pretty lucky on the pig and I bought more than enough rounds for the vets.

I still pop in from time to time, shame most are gone now. That and you have to go at like 2 oclock to avoid the 20 year olds

The cost of maintaining these groups and other small social service agencies is much more difficult now than say 15 years ago. The competition for the community dollar is greater now than ever. Crowd fundraising has taken off since social media exploded on to the scene and long term volulnteering has plummeted. International Charity seems to be at the top of the list these days.

It's a shame that there isn't government support to keep these buildings going, but I also understand that the point gets lost if there are no veterans to attend the Legion.

Let's be totally honest here.

The Legion has lost the appeal to many of the younger veterans. (post Korea)

It is mostly a place for those without any military service.

My biggest disapoint was on a Rememerance Day a few years back when someone without the proper knowledge thanked a Legion member for his service to the country due to his many Legion medals on his right chest without a single one on his left chest. This Legion member never served a day in the Forces but was quick to respond with "thank you".

The real veterans with one or two medals on their left side where ignored without any correction from the Legion member.

Any medals on the right side mean only service to the Legion or other veterans groups ect.

Medals on the left chest are the only ones recognized by the Federal government.

I've also ran across a few Legion members with their Legion medals on the left chest. These sure didn't like my reaction.

In fact there are many former service members without any medals who actually served their country in a way no Legion member without any previous military serve could ever hope to.

Also not all medals on the left chest indicate military service but are part of the Canadian Honours list recognized by the Federal government.