MNRF closes walleye on Scugog effective Jan 1, 2016

ccmtcanada

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) has decided that effective January 1st, 2016, no Walleye fishing on Lake Scugog will be allowed until further notice.

The seasons for other fish species are not affected by this decision and Lake Scugog will remain open to recreational angling under current regulations.

Full article here http://www.ofah.org/issues/lake-scugog-walleye-closure/

I personally don't target walleye on Scugog, but this will affect many. What are your thoughts?

I think it was a year in the making. If I remember correctly a lot of people on this forum were asking for Scugog to close last year around this time.

Still lots of Crappie to target on the 'Gog.

Also weren't people on this forum reccomending Rice get opened up for winter? (I wouldn't know. I have no success there).

I live on lake scugog and support this initiative by the MNRF. I think it is a great idea.

many other species in the lake are thriving and this will alleviate a ton of pressure during the hard water season.

I just hope the MNRF spend the necessary time and resources on repairing spawning habitats and other known factors that are causing the decline.

About time. I don't think fishing has lot to do with the decline in walleye, but shutting it down isn't going to hurt. We need recruitment to bring them back, I hope they focus on that.

It would be nice if we had one lake in the kawartha's to ice fish walleyes though. A rotating season from lake to lake would be awesome for a winter fishery here.

S.

Don't know why they always wait until the last minute. There could have been action taken on this sooner. Better late than never I guess. I like the idea of a revolving season, that'd make for a different experience from year to year.

MNR=Ministry of NO RESULTS

Always too little too late. Its sad.

S.

As Shane said recruitment is key, and recruitment on Scugog is next to nil based on MNR survey nettings, and creel census, your NOT likely to see a big difference unless recruitment appears, on the other hand and this might be the smoking gun, if the Crappie havnt reached there peak yet on Scugog, and started their decline which is natures way of finding balance, you could see this fishery bounce back, although not too the glory years it once had. That's if Black Crappie are directly responsible for walleye recruitment, which IMO is the case

I don't think it would be a good idea to open any kawartha lake for walleye in the winter. I don't believe they can take the pressure.

I'm also concerned that some will continue to harvest walleye from Scugog, they do it on the other kawartha lakes even though they aren't open. I think that the crappie have peaked on scugog, so I hope this closure shows some results in the next few years. If it doesn't, who knows what the problem is. I know as anglers we don't like to hear it has to do with harvesting, but from what I saw from some ice anglers, they definitely had an impact on the population. Especially the night anglers.

This is from a frustrated kawartha angler so it's just my opinion.

I don't think it would be a good idea to open any kawartha lake for walleye in the winter. I don't believe they can take the pressure.

I'm also concerned that some will continue to harvest walleye from Scugog, they do it on the other kawartha lakes even though they aren't open. I think that the crappie have peaked on scugog, so I hope this closure shows some results in the next few years. If it doesn't, who knows what the problem is. I know as anglers we don't like to hear it has to do with harvesting, but from what I saw from some ice anglers, they definitely had an impact on the population. Especially the night anglers.

This is from a frustrated kawartha angler so it's just my opinion.

I would love to have a rotating season on walleye. There are lakes that could sustain the pressure for one year, then none the next.

The biggest problem with the kawartha's and walleye recruitment is water levels at spawning time. That's a whole different story that needs to be addressed with the Trent severn waterway. Those guys have messed up a few times real bad.

S.

About time. I don't think fishing has lot to do with the decline in walleye, but shutting it down isn't going to hurt. We need recruitment to bring them back, I hope they focus on that.

It would be nice if we had one lake in the kawartha's to ice fish walleyes though. A rotating season from lake to lake would be awesome for a winter fishery here.

S.

I think it's about time! Good for MNR (finally)

As for the rotating season, I think that is probably one of the best ideas I have ever heard and I would support that 100%. Now if I could only figure out where to catch crappie through the ice on Sturgeon Lake..... well I do know but I can't get there LOL.

I posted this on another site. Be interesting to see the comments and different opinions on it.

"Why not just close the whole lake to all fishing for a year huh.gif Or at the least, close it to winter fishing. It,s not like it,s the only lake around for hard water angling. Any thoughts on how a introduction of walleye from the BOQ would do there? Would they adapt and produce? huh.gif"

Hey brian. Why close the whole lake for a year when other species are thriving.

Also the economic impact on the business's would be way to significant if no fishing at all

as a resident of port Perry I would be devastated if I couldn't fish on my home lake and did i mention almost most other species are thriving ?

Enforcement will be key. As jimmer mentioned many will probably still harvest walleye even when it's closed.

Hey brian. Why close the whole lake for a year when other species are thriving.

Also the economic impact on the business's would be way to significant if no fishing at all

as a resident of port Perry I would be devastated if I couldn't fish on my home lake and did i mention almost most other species are thriving ?

Enforcement will be key. As jimmer mentioned many will probably still harvest walleye even when it's closed.

Your last comment makes me say this. I am talking outside the box here.

I have said way back, close rivers one year at a time. It,s makes it easy to inforce poachers then. You see an angler on a closed river or lake,theres no way to get out of a charge. Well Im sure they will try to think of one.

We all wish we had the right answer.

Like I said, thinking outside the box and JMO.

What is recruitment?

I think most guys (me too) use the term to mean spawning success. I think it really means the number of fish achieving a certain life stage (like a certain length, or sexually maturity)

"Why not just close the whole lake to all fishing for a year huh.gif Or at the least, close it to winter fishing. It,s not like it,s the only lake around for hard water angling. Any thoughts on how a introduction of walleye from the BOQ would do there? Would they adapt and produce? huh.gif"

Closing it (no fishing at all) would suck if you have a cottage or business on the lake. I don't know what strain they initially stocked in there but I don't think stocking BOQ fish will solve this.

I like the idea of a rotating Kawartha lake walleye ice fishing season. It would take some of the pressure off the Haliburton lakers too.

I think most guys (me too) use the term to mean spawning success. I think it really means the number of fish achieving a certain life stage (like a certain length, or sexually maturity)

Closing it (no fishing at all) would suck if you have a cottage or business on the lake. I don't know what strain they initially stocked in there but I don't think stocking BOQ fish will solve this.

I like the idea of a rotating Kawartha lake walleye ice fishing season. It would take some of the pressure off the Haliburton lakers too.

This is why we say and ask. Some are stupid (ya I am one) but it,s ,us/we,that will come together to figure something out.

I didnt think about the whole year thing, but I would agree, a hard water closer season, would be a first step in the right direction.

I lived in Port Perry from 2003-2009. My Son was born in 2003, and when he was a baby he would go to bed at 7:30pm, and Wifey would try to sleep when he did. So I used to take my boat out several nights a week for a few hours. I used to catch literally dozens of small walleye every night.

So my point is that it wasn't that long ago that the fishery seemed to be in good shape from my limited perspective. I'm surprised it has fallen so far, so fast. I sure hope this helps this lake to recover. I don't live there or fish there anymore, but I still would like to see the fishery bounce back.

Edited by Dutch01