Small Outboard Questions?

MCTFisher9120

Good morning everybody. I realize there are some smart mechanics and boat owners on the forum so wanted to ask some info. I recently picked up a deep and wide 14' aluminum that came with a Evinrude 20hp model E20CRCDC leading me to believe it's a 1986. It has rope start and manual tilt.

My question starts here, the 9.9hp 4-stroke Yamaha I'm use to had a "clicking" tilt adjustment so in shallow water I could click the outboard up a few positions and could get through shallow water fine, motor was light so adjusting it was easy. This motor is heavier so I want to add a electric trim/tilt onto it. Electric start is not needed but I could justify adding that as well, however my main upgrade I want to do is the electric trim/tilt.

I've been passed a few names for marina's so I think I'll get the work done as I am not handy when it comes to engines....What should I expect to pay to get this done? Also what the heck kinds prop should I buy, the prop has some small wear on the edges, the boat will be heavy and I am after top end speed not fuel efficiency or anything else so if I can get a recommendation on a prop that would be awesome!

Engine has good compression and turned over fine, it sat for 6 years winterized so the carb needs to be drained maybe replaced. New oil in lower unit and we should be good to go. Internals look clean and it saw 2 trips out a year.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%208.33.0

Thanks for all and any help guys. Next summer well have a small bassin machine. Looked at lot's of 16' boat's but the bigger boat meant 30-50hp for me and my needs up north I can't justify it. This boat should get me into the 22-26MPH range so doubling my speed with the 9.9 will be more than enjoyable, getting to spots quicker etc. As a side note the boat has a open floor layout with a casting deck at the bow, side storage box and 2 pedestal seats. Can't wait until winter comes and goes haha lot's to do basically a complete reno on the boat(wood/carpet/paint etc..)

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

If it was me I'd only spend the money I needed to get the motor up and running the way it is. Once you've used this set up a number of times; that'll prove out whether it a good combination and worth playing with the prop.

Dan.

If it was me I'd only spend the money I needed to get the motor up and running the way it is. Once you've used this set up a number of times; that'll prove out whether it a good combination and worth playing with the prop.

Dan.

The lakes I fish Dan have 2 spots that are shallow and rocky so I need to be able to trim the motor up as daily I pass these locations 2-4 times a day(channel's exiting from a lake) so the electric trim/tilt will be a must I'm afraid...aside from that a simple tune up is all I need done yes.

I just can't figure out what to expect price wise on adding something like this onto a older 2-Stoke like mine. :dunno:

My question starts here, the 9.9hp 4-stroke Yamaha I'm use to had a "clicking" tilt adjustment so in shallow water I could click the outboard up a few positions and could get through shallow water fine, motor was light so adjusting it was easy. This motor is heavier so I want to add a electric trim/tilt onto it. Electric start is not needed but I could justify adding that as well, however my main upgrade I want to do is the electric trim/tilt.

That looks like my first outboard (1987 20hp Evinrude).

If I remember correctly there was a shallow water drive. It was activated by tilting the motor and flipping a leaver that would prevent it from dropping all the way back down.

There were also about five or so trim positions but they require removing a pin and placing it another hole.

Doesn't this motor have a lite troll position (I think it's called that?); it's a kind of foot (lack of a better word) that you flip when the motor is raised halfway and holds it there?

A 20hp is relatively light to pull up and if need be slide a piece of doweling in the crotch of the tilt.

Dan.

I wouldn't add trim/tilt to that either. Not worth it.

I have a 40hp manual tilt and I can get into skinny water no problem. In reverse...

Get a bowmount with the money instead, and use the bowmount for skinny water instead.

That engine should have some sort of shallow drive setting on it, but it might not. Mine doesn't.

S.

I looked into getting one for my old tinny and I couldn't justify the cost for my old 20. Here's one that would likely do you if you choose to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinetech-55-0040-Panther-Model-Marine/dp/B001F0KHGG

I'd get a bowmount myself like others have stated and tilting the motor could be your workout. lol.

Another way would be to rig an electric actuator of the type at Princess auto. These range in stroke from 4 to 12 inches, can handle over 100 pounds, work off 12 volts and are in the $100+ range. I looked at doing that for my 40 mariner but opted for a bow mount motor instead as my need to run in a shallow position was very limited.

The lakes I fish Dan have 2 spots that are shallow and rocky so I need to be able to trim the motor up as daily I pass these locations 2-4 times a day(channel's exiting from a lake) so the electric trim/tilt will be a must I'm afraid...aside from that a simple tune up is all I need done yes.

I just can't figure out what to expect price wise on adding something like this onto a older 2-Stoke like mine. :dunno:

Here are a link to give you an idea on pricing on what you need.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-outboards-accessories/power-lifts-trim-tilt%7C/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104512680/cmc-pt35-small-outboard-tilt-and-trim-by-t-h-marine/700191.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpower-lifts-trim-tilt%2F_%2FN-1100538%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104512680

I wouldn't add trim/tilt to that either. Not worth it.

I have a 40hp manual tilt and I can get into skinny water no problem. In reverse...

It is far better to hit an immovable object going in a forward direction rather than in reverse, just sayin.

I ran a very similar 25Hp evenrude on my tinner for years.

It didn't have the level someone mentioned earlier that you could flip up/down for shallow water. So I found a place that I can wedge a piece of wood, and tied it to a rope. When I came to shallow water, I would manually pull the motor up with one hand, and jam the piece of wood in with the other hand. Worked like a champ, and cost me about 5 cents....

Tilt trim: now you need a battery and a way to charge the battery. The block of wood and a string sounds like a really good plan at least for now.

Sitting winterized for 6 years, I'd be making sure that motor is up and running well before I'd spend a cent on adding anything. After 6 years of sitting, anything rubber is likely to be dried out, I'd be wanting to change the impeller and check all the seals and fuel lines before even trying to start it. As for the prop, if you get the motor up and running properly, just get the one you have repaired for now, fine tuning can come after.

It looks like it had been well taken care of and might be worth spending a bit of money on but make sure the basics are there first.

It's old, but those were good engines.

I would try running it with fresh, mixed gas before taking it in for a tune up. Maybe it's fine.

I wouldn't spend the money for tilt and trim for that motor either. Nick's idea is what I would do.

The picture isn't great but that prop looks fine too.

It is far better to hit an immovable object going in a forward direction rather than in reverse, just sayin.

For sure, but in reverse I can run my outboard right on the surface and get into shallower water. The power of the prop keeps it up top, and I can see exactly where I am going, and easily steer around any obstacles. Most people will think I'm crazy, but if you want to see how I do this in person, come on out for a boat ride. lol

S.

My dad had a 16 foot Sylvan with a 25Hp Evinrude on it, it was the worst boat I ever tried to fish out of. It was all open with no deck on front, no amount of adjustment and even adding a whaletail wouldn't keep the bow down. When I took it up north a hunk of carpet in the bow and a search for some heavy rocks to place on it was my first project, that or having the bow rise so high I couldn't see. If I had someone up front it wasn't as bad.

Options on a prop? Basic on a small motor like that? I don't believe spending a ton of money is going to get you much difference in speed?

Like others have mentioned, a bow mount electric is probably a better idea as the price for trim an tilt is more? With the trim and tilt you may need a separate battery anyway for an electric motor if you decide to use one? A deck and battery for the trolling motor, weight of the trolling motor up front should keep the bow down if you fish alone?

Wow guys, first off thank you for all the responses. As mentioned by lot's of you a Bow-Mount is in the works, a necessity for the bass fishing, I still own a transom mount so might run both well see. As for the Trim/Tilt I do see now it will be a expensive job for sure, I'll play with the motor some more. It lock's in both the down and up position. Inside the hood is mint very clean, spark plugs look good also. Problem is jumping up on the bow to navigate through the spots during travel will just take a minute, i rather standing up for a sec doing a quick trim then sitting back down and letting the throttle open up again. Going to look at the motor I think the piece mentioned for the tilt positions is broken off from the looks of it.

March well bring the motor in for a quick service. I figure a good overhaul once is needed, I can winterize the motor down the road. It's the old gas sitting in the carb that scares me a little. Regardless the mechanic I'll be going to is very trusted and recommended by several friends so should be a good fit.

Got a quote on a brand new Evinrude 30hp, was over 5k so making this bad boy work for a season or 2 is my goal. Going to grab a PowerDrive 55lb in the spring. The fun part will be the renovation in the spring can't wait!

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback!

March well bring the motor in for a quick service. I figure a good overhaul once is needed,

I know you're gonna do what you're gonna do, I'm the same.

I would still say test run it yourself first. There's a fair chance it's fine.

A "good overhaul" might actually be a guy putting the muffs on it, running it, then saying it's good to go and passing you a bill for a few hundred dollars.

Edited by chris.brock