defending your property in ontario...

manitoubass2

My wife kept a 3-iron beside the bed but I told her that's too hard to hit, you'd be better off with a pitching wedge.

In all seriousness though, since we live in a fairly urban area and the OPP station is literally quicker to walk to than drive to from our house I tell her that the best piece of equipment for self defence is her cell phone and if I'm not home and someone breaks into the house that she should call 911 and not to confront the person. If they're more intent on confronting you than just stealing our valuables then maybe, but don't leave the bedroom looking for a fight. Our property is not worth her life.

Wow… a lot of you sound like you live in a war zone!! I have lived in London England, Toronto, Tokyo, Plymouth England, Brighton in England(lived rough on the streets four a year and a half) have never been mugged or burgled or threatened in anyway, I feel no need to have an arsenal at my disposal for 'home defence', Maybe I'm not English or Canadian, must be Irish with a horseshoe up my .……...

swmbo and I each have d cell Maglites by our bedside for power outages and any other possible eventualities. Held by the bulb end, these have serious swinging power and are short enough to not need much room or momentum and can be one handed unlike a Louisville. Fortunately, they're on the dusty side and I hope to keep it that way.

Otherwise I keep thinking about using a bright flash type of thing to disorient and momentarily blind someone.

Wow a lot of you sound like you live in a war zone!! I have lived in London England, Toronto, Tokyo, Plymouth England, Brighton in England(lived rough on the streets four a year and a half) have never been mugged or burgled or threatened in anyway, I feel no need to have an arsenal at my disposal for 'home defence', Maybe I'm not English or Canadian, must be Irish with a horseshoe up my ....

Yeah you just may be lucky, or maybe im very unlucky lol.

Where I live now its really not a worry.

When I grew up in fort frances, we had some weird crime spree timeframe where it just went crazy. Vehicle jackings, store robberies, 2 really screwed up murders(google jamie perlette fort frances murder or maki murder fort frances.)

Two places in canada id never live is winnipeg or tbay, boy they have some rough areas

Wow… a lot of you sound like you live in a war zone!! I have lived in London England, Toronto, Tokyo, Plymouth England, Brighton in England(lived rough on the streets four a year and a half) have never been mugged or burgled or threatened in anyway, I feel no need to have an arsenal at my disposal for 'home defence', Maybe I'm not English or Canadian, must be Irish with a horseshoe up my .……...

I agree with you absolutely 100% Simon and have always said the exact same thing. I lived in Toronto for 60 years and never once did I ever feel threatened, harrassed or even worried about walking anywhere in that city. My wife worked downtown at Queens Park for 2o years and took the subway and she feels the exact same as I do.

Listening to some folks talk about the need to be armed for protection you'd think they live in Bagdad or downtown Afghanistan.

I read alot of different American boards and the guys talk about how they carry their handguns in the truck when their out driving around and many of them even carry the guns in the boat when they go out fishing.

I just couldn't imagine having to live in that kind of fear.

And no, that's not anything against my American friends on this board as I've talked to them about the exact same thing.

I agree with you absolutely 100% Simon and have always said the exact same thing. I lived in Toronto for 60 years and never once did I ever feel threatened, harrassed or even worried about walking anywhere in that city. My wife worked downtown at Queens Park for 2o years and took the subway and she feels the exact same as I do.

Listening to some folks talk about the need to be armed for protection you'd think they live in Bagdad or downtown Afghanistan.

I read alot of different American boards and the guys talk about how they carry their handguns in the truck when their out driving around and many of them even carry the guns in the boat when they go out fishing.

I just couldn't imagine having to live in that kind of fear.

And no, that's not anything against my American friends on this board as I've talked to them about the exact same thing.

Totally agree here.

And not to paint everyone with the same brush, but a lot of my American friends I've talked to that have concealed carry permits or own handguns will admit they don't think a gun will help if they're taken by a surprise attack. The reason most of them carry is because of the cowboy mentality that they'll become the hero when something happens thanks to their gun. Same as the home defence argument, they want to be the hero.

Ive never met one gun owner that thinks having guns makes them a hero

Not necessarily what I meant. But I had one guy try to tell me that if he was at that theatre where the guy shot the place up, he'd of been the guy to stop/prevent it. Kind of like the crazy stuff the NRA spews, for instance the black church that was shot up by that guy down south - If the pastor had allowed guns in his church, this wouldn't have happened.

Edited by netminder

Not necessarily what I meant. But I had one guy try to tell me that if he was at that theatre where the guy shot the place up, he'd of been the guy to stop/prevent it. Kind of like the crazy stuff the NRA spews, for instance the black church that was shot up by that guy down south - If the pastor had allowed guns in his church, this wouldn't have happened.

I gotcha

Thats just talk, like tough guy internet warriors.

99.9% of people hear gunshots they're looking for cover instantly

Yeah I made up that number?

I have owned guns all my life and was trained to use them at a very early age. I have had hand guns (with permits) since I was in my early 20s. I am an excellent shot and have won many compititions over the years but not once in all those years has having a gun or knowing how to use it made me feel like a hero.

Would I shoot someone? Well I guess I would if I had to but believe me the circumstances would have to be do or die for me or one of my family. I have had to stand my ground a few times through my life and I've had my share of fights but never have I felt the need to pull a gun. I'm almost 70 now and I couldn't hold my own in a good fist fight with some young thoug but I'd sure try before I'd resort to shooting someone.

To take another persons life for any reason has ruined far too many innocent peoples lives. PTSD has probably claimed as many lives as gun fights have.

As in real estate, location, location. Mom and Dad moved to downtown Hamilton to a retirement residence after 60 years in a nice residential area. He has seen more violence there in his entire life except for the war. I told them, warned tem, pleaded with them not to go there. We are looking for another place as we speak. To make my point it all depends where in the city you live. Jane and Finch is rotten apples to sweet oranges when compared to Rosedale in T.O I've been to Tokyo, one can't compare the Ginza with Romaji where all the sex clubs are, I think that's the area. There will always be areas in cities to stay away from, everywhere.

Totally agree here.

And not to paint everyone with the same brush, but a lot of my American friends I've talked to that have concealed carry permits or own handguns will admit they don't think a gun will help if they're taken by a surprise attack. The reason most of them carry is because of the cowboy mentality that they'll become the hero when something happens thanks to their gun. Same as the home defence argument, they want to be the hero.

I got to disagree with this with it being most of but should read a few of would be O.K. It is not a gun slinger mentality that plays into if I have to draw it is improving my odds of walking away from a confrontation that I did not instigate. It is the same way I treat any fight. Step one is talk your way out of it saying anything that will defuse the situation. If that fails then try to back away from the conflict. If that fails then kick yell claw scratch and head butt the person before he is ready to fight. No rules no mercy get them down and incapacitated before you get hurt. Same for a home intrusion assume they are armed, let them have anything material they can carry and if they come into the same room as you are in shoot for the center mass and don't stop till the gun is empty. It is not tough guy talk it is the correct way to get the chances of walking away from an issue in your favor. Some people thing shooting someone is brutal and inhumane however change the gun to alcohol and most people have driven a car drunk and didn't care that THEY are just as deadly as a gun is in that vehicle. I would feel less anger if someone dies by my gun threatening my life than knowing I killed an innocent person while driving drunk. The choice on how to protect ones self and family is a personal one and it all depends on at what point do you feel you have done enough to live with the outcome of the life changing event.

Art

Totally agree here.

I wouldn't paint many people here with conceal carry permits as you suggest. I live here and most are responsible gun owners and they call it being prepared, besides that it's our constitutional right.

Another thing your sadly mistaken about, If a law abiding, responsible gun owner that had a conceal carry permit was armed in both the theater and church circumstances you referred to the death count would have been smaller.