defending your property in ontario...

manitoubass2

Yep. Tons of discretion

Im really not too worried over most of it but defending your home.

Thats why in my situation I made sure it was being recorded by 911.

It is scary, i could think of many bad scenarious.

Ill keep my guns but seems like avoid that at any cost possible.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, great advice from fishnautographs

"If you pull a gun are you prepared to take a life"?

Edited by manitoubass2

The problem is the difference between what you think is necessary force while in the heat of the moment and what a judge thinks is necessary force while sitting in a big leather chair in the court house.

Scary thought.

Exactly!

If I absolutley had too though I know what road im choosing.

Ive had two break ins and a baseball bat to the lower legs sufficed in the first one(no intent to injure just intent to disable while cops come) I went for the shins

Edited by manitoubass2

jesus this is a terrifying thought, im not gonna lie that ive wielded a very large butcher knife when i heard a noise from the basement of my house. (a picture frame fell off of the wall and smashed) If confronted there is no doubt in my mind I would use whatever is available to me to inflict damage or intimidate intruder, including a gun if available.

I cant believe this has happened to you twice manitou, ill tell you i wouldnt have been as nice to hit the person in the shins, their face would probably be a bit rearranged.

Edited by AKRISONER

jesus this is a terrifying thought, im not gonna lie that ive wielded a very large butcher knife when i heard a noise from the basement of my house. (a picture frame fell off of the wall and smashed) If confronted there is no doubt in my mind I would use whatever is available to me to inflict damage or intimidate intruder, including a gun if available.

I cant believe this has happened to you twice manitou, ill tell you i wouldnt have been as nice to hit the person in the shins, their face would probably be a bit rearranged.

I have no intent on taking anyones life. I try to think the best I can in the moment?

Not gonna lie, its very very hard to remain calm during a break in.

Remember i have 6 kids and a wife to defend too. And i will. But going to jail isnt gonna help them either.

Trust me getting hit with a bat is no joke. Even to the shins will instantly take a person down. Could be bad if they had a gun though and just started firing off rounds.

When I was 15 i was assaulted with an aluminum(thank god it wasnt wood) bat with a direct blow to my forehead.

I felt the "ping" through my entire body and I was out on my feet. I remember my forehead swelling fast and then thats it. I remember nothing for the next 2 months.

Edited by manitoubass2

I keep a shotgun in the hall and a 9mm pistol in the bedroom drawer both loaded with defense ammo. I have no issues with using them because of my previous training in the use of them in the SeaBees. I do not have to worry about it being a family member since it is my wife and I only. Being the first one to shoot will end the event before you are harmed. Personally I like having guns and pistols and also that others also have them it seems to make people more cautious or hesitate to intrude in places that might have firearms available.

Just my thoughts from a more liberal view that can have weapons legally.

Art

Chances are no one on this board will ever have to use one. In fact, chances are pretty good that no one one this board knows anyone or has a family member who has had to worry about it.

If you're worried, get a dog.

Speaking of which - Manitou, how did your intruder get past your dogs?

It is so easy to talk tough but when it comes right down to it, taking anothers life is a decision I hope none of you will ever have to make! To break a mans legs with a baseball bat, to shoot him in the leg, where do you get to make that sort of a decision in a split second. I too will defend my family at all cost but my first response would be "I have a gun and I will use it". I can't see anyone in their right mind continuing to advance.

I hope none of you find yourself in a position where you have to decide to use deadly force, those that have often suffer as much as or even more than the recepient.

It is so easy to talk tough but when it comes right down to it, taking anothers life is a decision I hope none of you will ever have to make! To break a mans legs with a baseball bat, to shoot him in the leg, where do you get to make that sort of a decision in a split second. I too will defend my family at all cost but my first response would be "I have a gun and I will use it". I can't see anyone in their right mind continuing to advance.

I hope none of you find yourself in a position where you have to decide to use deadly force, those that have often suffer as much as or even more than the recepient.

Remember this

you don't have to shoot to kill, no 4 steel to the legs will whack down a 200 pounder let alone a mallard

Chances are no one on this board will ever have to use one. In fact, chances are pretty good that no one one this board knows anyone or has a family member who has had to worry about it.

If you're worried, get a dog.

Speaking of which - Manitou, how did your intruder get past your dogs?

Both events happened before I had my dogs.

But, they are huskies. They will not protect from a home invasion.

You could walk right in and pet them if you wanted too

I guarantee racking and pointing an empty shotgun will be enough to scare the crap out of an intruder.

I don't recommend arming yourself with a knife unless you're trained with using them. They can quickly because a weapon against you.

I suggest a bat. What I suggest to the wife and female friends is he heaviest Pyrex bowl or casserole dish they can swing. Smack that over a persons head its game over.

Brian a defence load is for the shotgun it is a hornaby critical defense ammo a tight pattern for less spread more lead in the target. For the 9mm it is glaser fragmenting ammo heavy penetration with quick energy release in the point of impact less likely to travel thru the target. Both are extremely deadly and are designed to do maximum damage. Folks if you pull a gun and you are not 100% sure you can pull the trigger don't even think about bringing it out. It will be the gun that you will get killed with. An intruder in your house is outside of the law he doesn't care to play by the rules , he hopes you will play by the rules and give him a leg up on you. You charge someone with a baseball bat and he has a gun you will not reach him if he is serious on harming you or getting something he wants. In training for the special forces it was drummed into your head If two men have two guns the first one to shoot wins if you don't believe this 100% don't come out of the bedroom. Don't confuse life and death situations with a scary noise or a drunk knocking on the front door. Cliff life altering situations occur to us all we make decisions daily that affect the outcome of the future. If my choice is to mentally or legally deal with shooting someone who feels he is above the law or hesitate and be shot or worse he shoots my wife I will always take the shot. It all comes back to what are you willing to risk for something you love be it a wife or daughter or yourself.

Art

A rifle shaft 7 iron is much more effective than the shorter baseball bat. And it will do much more damage if wielded. Aim for the muscle between the neck and the shoulder. If you miss one way or another it will still stop someone in their tracks. That is if you are absolutely sure they do not have a gun. I have never been confronted by an intruder and hope I never am. I only know of 1 person that confronted an intruder and he received a shot gun blast to his arm. Opps M2B2 is the second. The odds here in Canada must be very high. All these home invasions I read about in the last few years have been drug related or by persons that knew the victim and they both were from the same country of origin. The person I did know was confronted by 2 masked men and were there to relieve them of their pain meds, and they knew them personally as well. I think those that do have fire arms are higher on the list for theft than a home where there are none. Guns bring big money and are easier to unload. ( No pun intended but it's a good one)

Loose lips sink ships.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If someone was hurting you or your family, would the dogs react differently?

Oh yes, very much so

If they dont know you they are super nice until you go near one of us then they freak.

I wonder whats happens in a case when an intruder gets mauled by dogs???

And OI the first break in we had was deug fueled,second was alcohol.

Its the drug fueled ones that scare me because they seem capable of anything(of course im more afraid of a rapist/killer/pro thief)

But the drug fueled ones are so unpredictable and you have to act fast.

Any of use ever had a gun drawn on you? As a law abiding citizen its very very scary.

Ive been through it 3 times

Robbed at gunpoint in toronto

Shot aat by two rivals in grande prairie( i just happened to cross the street in the wrong place at the wrong time, could feel shots miss my head twice)

And once by police. Someone reported i hade a gun at the river with children(was just a pellet gun, kids practising while i fished) two cops come fast guns drawn. Thankfully I knew one of them and that calmed the situation quickly.

Anyhow

Edited by manitoubass2