August 2015 Bass Fishing Report

MCTFisher9120

Hello again everybody on OFC. I just got back last night from a fun camping trip with my Papa, Uncle and Dad. We camped out for 2 weeks this year and I was in "relax" mode this time around. I did fish hard some days but I tried to go out for mornings or afternoons most days. This year was different than last season. Fish seemed to move to different areas and places on the lakes I fish. I tried for smallies off and on for several days but only came up with 2 bites for the couple hours of tossing jerk baits. Largemouth where off in what I considered "smallie spots". O well we did our best and had some big fish along the way.

I am never shy to share what baits and techniques put fish in the boat. This year I did well with a few baits, pitching cover and pads I prefer a texas rigged bait. They are a little more efficient when coming through slop and weeds. The craw I love and haven't seemed to steer away from is the PTL 3.5" Texas-Rig Jig, I run 3/8-3/4oz Pegged Tungsten above the bait. Next bait was just a white or white/chartreuse 3/8oz to 1/2oz Swim Jig. This I would take the PTL Swinging Hammer, bite 1" off the head and put it on. Did the trick getting some good quality bites. Our next bait was a Perfect Jig Stand Up style in a 3/4oz weight. This I would make long pitches and shake it through the deeper weed beds and weed lines. We tossed the Vision 110 and Pop-X hardbait's a little also. My Frog came out some but wasn't on fire like some trips in the past. Learned to adapt and use some other techniques.

Anyway weather was fine we had on and off rain and storms pass through most days so this moved the fish around lot's. Here are some pictures, can't wait to get back in September!

First morning on the lake, got to love the 5am sunrise.

DSCF5771_zpskzq7ashg.jpg

My first bass of the trip!

DSCF5773_zpszcjilo1m.jpg

Trying the shallow cover only coming up with 2lbr's fun fish but not what we want

DSCF5786_zpssucafjo0.jpg

Fished deeper pad's on day 2 and at 10am this big Largemouth Bass chomped the TRJ. It was game on when those pads rose and his head came out of the cover

DSCF5794_zpsqqpynqhp.jpg

DSCF5795_zpsgkk9pujc.jpg

Later that day got this good fish to hit the frog.

DSCF5800_zpsn1n0dzeg.jpg

Good average bass pitching little spots in the cover.

DSCF5818_zps143d4gq5.jpg

Another bass on the frog

DSCF5821_zps4spuqjvn.jpg

8pm off the campsite my Papa hooked into his biggest and the biggest we have caught off shore here. Was happy for him

DSCF5826_zpsau70edam.jpg

Next day I'm playing catch up now haha. Decent morning bass on the topwater.

DSCF5829_zpsswzoqrak.jpg

Later in the day another solid bass on the TRJ.

DSCF5840_zpsp2wzfy7x.jpg

As always I come across one of these. Crushed a Swim Jig as I was bringing it through the pads.

DSCF5845_zpsurrh0uyn.jpg

Exploring new water finding fish

DSCF5852_zps8jbyj9yu.jpg

And another

DSCF5866_zpslhuzizxq.jpg

Got my cousin out for a morning had a fun time. He strikes first

DSCF5877_zpsaq0vzkux.jpg

My turn, popper can't be beat for fun on the water.

DSCF5883_zpsbcwvotfc.jpg

Pike time, we caught/shook off maybe 2 dozen this size such a pain in the butt when your bassin'

DSCF5884_zpsbifslitn.jpg

My big smallmouth of the trip smoked the Vision 110+1

DSCF5887_zps5xn1lybd.jpg

Dad with his first of the trip

DSCF5892_zpscghdgjik.jpg

Big fight, got this good Pike in the cover on a Frog. Made for quite the rush before we knew it wasn't a bass.

DSCF5898_zpseojhsm2k.jpg

Nice high 3lbr on the Swim Jig

DSCF5900_zpsj0paxgtw.jpg

My cousin with a nice fish, saw him on the lake so ran over he got one right away haha

DSCF5902_zpshldttumw.jpg

Jerkbait bass from the deep

DSCF5904_zpsa5prehrs.jpg

Another good smallmouth on the jerk bait. Wish I did better in this department this trip, try and do better in September.

DSCF5907_zpsz9fgasaw.jpg

My uncle with a good fish, hit the frog in the early hours. Was happy for him!

DSCF5911_zpswo5qrxeb.jpg

Tried some deep cranking, the DT-20 got one for dad I struck out this time out just little bass.

DSCF5918_zpsr32qo7nu.jpg

Had a fun 5am-11am tournament with my uncle and friend. Dad and I won by 1lb and took bragging rights for the year. Was fun to fish against the clock. Got 5 culled one little guy as we did a 4 fish limit, didn't get any "kickers" that morning but this picture with dad made my day!

DSCF5931_zpslieqg9jv.jpg

Fishing the deep weeds with the jig got a couple in this stretch this day this was the bigger one.

DSCF5940_zpsknvnr9bw.jpg

Next day same area they got bigger. This was a high 3 then 10 minutes later we got another just ounces bigger was pretty cool.

DSCF5948_zpsenlal92a.jpg

Next fish on the jig. Such a big fight love it.

DSCF5951_zpshxsnwdvi.jpg

Let's pop the hook and let her go

DSCF5952_zpsi16mgw6l.jpg

Dad with another good bass, Swim Jig this time.

DSCF5955_zpsk5yz0sck.jpg

Thursday our second last day. Started the morning with a decent bite on the popper.

DSCF5957_zpspwi7iz4a.jpg

Then 1 on the Swim Jig

DSCF5959_zpsouldlhqz.jpg

Then 1 on the Flipping jig. Seemed I knew what I was doing for a few hours.

DSCF5962_zpshcmhepif.jpg

Friday morning was super slow for me. Got this bass to hit the jerk bait after a hour of popper/swim bait fishing

DSCF5974_zpstf1tqiku.jpg

Later that day got one to hit the jig fishing some rock wall type cover.

DSCF5985_zps9yvci7ee.jpg

This was the last fish of the trip. My dad and I went out from 3-6 Friday and he got 1 bite and I got 1 bite. Here is his another good chunky bass on the Swim Jig.

DSCF5995_zpsjpiemljm.jpg

Here was my last bass of August 2015, big fish of my trip and made me so happy. Was slow rolling the Swim Jig on a deep weedline when this thing crushed it.

DSCF5991_zpsqcyhkzvs.jpg

DSCF5989_zpssqpavt2u.jpg

All in all I didn't have as many photo's as last years trip. I failed on the Smallmouth but with the water being a little more stained this trip or maybe it was the temps. Regardless my mission in September is smallies morning and evening and largemouth in the afternoons. A few weeks and I'll be on another trip.

Thanks for reading and viewing everybody!

MTBF :D

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Right on Mike. Nicely done :)

Out of all those fish you caught, I think the bowfin was probably the coolest.LOL

They are such tough fish and when rolling the swim jig through pads you often would see the big swirls behind it. There not the best at being stealthy sometimes but when they hit hang on. My biggest is a 10lb 1oz this didn't even go 8lbs

Makes you cry too hoping you have a giant bass on :P

you caught lots of beauty bass, but nothing beats the time spent fishing with pops :)

how was the blue green algae? surfaces look pretty decent.

for one trip, you caught a boatload of bass...and I know for every big one shown, a number of smaller ones were caught between. great stuff!

you mention your father caught the one bass from shore...and a big one at that...how did he get her?...she's a biggie...gotta love fishing from shore :)

those smallies will be fattened up and ready for you come September....hopefully schooled up and ripe for the pickin's :)

you caught lots of beauty bass, but nothing beats the time spent fishing with pops :)

how was the blue green algae? surfaces look pretty decent.

for one trip, you caught a boatload of bass...and I know for every big one shown, a number of smaller ones were caught between. great stuff!

you mention your father caught the one bass from shore...and a big one at that...how did he get her?...she's a biggie...gotta love fishing from shore :)

those smallies will be fattened up and ready for you come September....hopefully schooled up and ripe for the pickin's :)

Thanks for the comment. He is actually my papa my dad has the shades on in some pictures with the Daiwa hat. Papa caught the bass on a texas rigged Power Minnow, the realistic looking one that's 4-5" long with the fork tail. Just twitching it through the slop, 30lb braid basic rod and reel haha.

Smallies should be around yes can't wait to get back.

How come you only catch small ones? LOL HOGS

Your one of the best bass fisherman on this site. Always hogs. Good job bud

That's what fishing with family is all about!!! Lot's of respectable chunky largies and a bonus bowfin.... Good job bud!!!

wow lots of fish! Great report!

Cheers

Well done Mike!

Especially like the smallies and bowfin, but that many largies is impressive too.

Great two weeks for ya!

Thanks for the comments guys. The smallies up there are beauty's very rustic old looking fish. I'm sure a 4 or a 5 from our lakes must be 3-5 years older than a bass from Simcoe/Erie/Ontario etc...Don't know for sure but I would assume.

The Largemouth are tough sometimes. I never have days where we catch dozen's of small bass, maybe it's the baits we try but I am always going for those 2lb+ bites, bigger baits nothing finesse when the bite is on. Can't wait to get back next month, going to chase smallies morning and evening and try for largemouth for a couple hours each afternoon.

Thanks for viewing guys, relaxed more this year and never tried to line up 5 or 6 spots and plan a afternoon. Just went with my gut and drove the boat the where ever we wanted to fish...still in "mellow" mode since coming back.

Tightlines

MTBF

ahhh come on man....you can't ask a guy his fishing spots... :) :) :)

taboo I tellz ya.

but, with that said, there are enough hints in his post to come up with a very logical conclusion as to where he was fishing.

Really? I didn't realize a region was a fishing spot. Hey man where you fishing North America?

Wow...