LOTW 2015 Muskie Trip

Fisherpete

I'm still pretty tired from the 23 hour drive back, so not much in the storytelling department this time... but here are the highlights and lowlights.

• 8 of us in the cabin, John (cowanjo) from the board and 5 new faces to us. Great bunch of guys, I'm sure John will add to this post. Thanks again John for all your organization for this trip.
  • Water temperatures - swung from as high as 82F to as low as 66F while we were there.
  • 3 straight days of gale force winds. Could not get to our milk run during that time, but as a result explored some new water and learned a few new patterns.
  • A 30 minute boat ride under normal conditions becomes a 3 hour white knuckle ordeal in 6 to 8 foot tightly packed angry waves. First time I have ever seen Andrew stress out. The Princecraft took a real pounding but thankfully came out still floating :)
  • Despite the adverse conditions, the results were good - most muskies the two of have landed in a LOTW trip so far (15), with Andrew kicking my butt 11-4. Nine of Andrew's eleven were over 40". I did manage to boat the biggest at 45 1/4" (to his 45") but my fish was not as pretty lol. I also managed a couple very nice pike on the trip, including tying my personal best at 41".
  • Andrew - thanks again for everything.

Here's the pics.

DSC_2307_zps8bl4ijny.jpg

DSC_2308_zpsq2w2plzg.jpg

DSC_2311_zpshm5ouxjl.jpg

DSC_2315_zpsgasl31qr.jpg

DSC_2323_zps2puvwned.jpg

DSC_2324_zpsvy1nai2i.jpg

DSC_2330_zpsictqfvyk.jpg

DSC_2334_zpsdfxba7ad.jpg

DSC_2335_zpsjfyksfgk.jpg

DSC_2337_zps3n4ub1nm.jpg

DSC_2339_zpsrzpla2yi.jpg

DSC_2347_zpscgq4ttmz.jpg

DSC_2348_zps7mur6bwi.jpg

DSC_2354_zpsrr9wauip.jpg

DSC_2355_zpsenlnn04m.jpg

DSC_2356_zpsob369f0i.jpg

DSC_2359_zpsqslifzjc.jpg

DSC_2363_zps8fy17qxt.jpg

DSC_2368_zpstdk3z8kb.jpg

DSC_2370_zpsivord0pf.jpg

DSC_2380_zpszmtxzv4k.jpg

DSC_2385_zpsewk8un1u.jpg

DSC_2387_zpsdlcpt57k.jpg

DSC_2384_zpsq5nurwn7.jpg

Lol pete awesome trip again dude. Once again I apologize for the cursing on the way home in waves that were half the size of my boat. Haha damn those were crazy. I still feel bad sorry brother. You didn't mention we were 50 km from the lodge when we called it quits and decided to drive back to the lodge.

John (cowanjo) put together a great group of guys and it was cool to share stories with so many lake of the woods veterans.

And yes pete it's funny when we explored new water we got the biggest fish of the trip. The fish didn't like the big winds either and were thinking like us looking for protection in the weeds and bays.

We stayed at Sandys blackhawk island. Cabins were nice but it was a pain in the butt to get to from kenora compared to other lodges on the lake. Also the help we recieved if any from the lodge was sub par at best but we were all pretty self sufficient thankfully so we figured it out.

Can't wait until next years lake of the woods adventure.

Smith Camps if you want to be near Kenora. 25 minutes from town. Tons of great water up there. The place is decent and very well kept. I am planni g on staying there next summer. Witch Bay camps is supposed to be good too but they are waay out.