Thinking about getting 2nd dog a Labradoodle

FLEX ROD

The kids have both mentioned to me about getting a second dog, right now we have a 9 year old cockapoo that has been an amazing addition to the family.

At 9 years old he is very healthy but he is not going to be around forever hence the post.

Any suggestions pro and or con regarding the Labradoodle would really be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to hearing any and all replies,

Thanks,

FLEX

One of my neighbors has had two of them for around ten years now, they seem like nice well behaved dogs to me, but that is all in the training? My dog only tolerates one of them, the non alpha dog, he has some issues at times with the alpha dog entering his space.

Between them and their adult kids they have around 5 dogs, all seem to get along, again the training?

Can I ask why a labradoodle? They are typically for families or people with allergies to dogs.....really, that's the only benefit to them. Just asking....

I'm a lab guy thru and thru. The one I have now is my 3rd, and I'm sure there will be a 4th, and possibly a 5th.

I have a friend with a doodle. He's very high energy, but otherwise a great dog. He even uses him to retrieve ducks/geese.

S.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a golden doodle. Golden Retriever Poole cross.. Similar to a labradoodle. Great dog. Great disposition. high energy at times, but also is chilled out. Not aggressive at all. Great with kids. Even very little kids. Dog will sleep in till 10AM or be up at 5:30. He's good with either. Very intelligent. They do shed, but the fur is more soft and curly so nothing like a lab or shepherd.

I have a female golden retriever and a male black lab,2 best dogs imho. smart,love the water,great with kids and all other dogs,love exercise,and both think they are lap dogs and imagine this both love to retrieve. I would not even consider any other breed then a lab or a golden.

I disagree with going to the pound for a "Family" dog.....you are rolling the dice as you have no history on that dog. If I'm going to put forth all the effort, expense and training I want to know the history of this dog before I decide to take it home.

If you want a true family pet that can also be used for hunting then I would get a American Lab if I was you. They are VERY gentle to kids and BABIES and you will not find a more loyal dog and it's rated 7th on the dog intelligent list out of about 200 breeds. Easy to train and they love people. Many breeds are tough to train and there is nothing much you can do about that.

If you noticed I mentioned a American Lab because there is also a English Lab that is shorter, stockier and have a square head that are breed as show dogs. They actually are a bit funny looking compared to the American Lab.

I was always a lab guy. Growing up that's all we had (well, mutts with a dominant lab mix). Now I have a golden lab/German shepherd mix and couldn't be happier. However, I can understand the want for one of those non-shedding dogs even if you don't have allergies, although they do require frequent visits to the groomer.

Gotta agree with Mr. G. We have a flat coated retriever, and an American lab. The lab is a friggin sweetheart....the flatcoat is nuts.

Also, the flatcoat sheds constantly. The American Lab does not.

If we get another dog someday, it will be another American Lab.

Edited by bigcreekdad

Love the breed and we have had 3 on the farm. High energy they need room to run for sure. They are people pleasers for sure. The more poodle in them the less they shed. You will still get some hair though. Take the time to train them with their high energy they will get into trouble without structure. They are also not outside dogs they need to be living in the house with people or other pets.

Art

They sell like hotcakes so watch out for the breeders who are just pumping them out as fast as they can. Try to find a breeder who gives a crap about the results of their work (esp around temperament).

Most important, meet the parents if you can and see what they're like.

I simply dont understand these "designer" mixes. Sure they are non-shedding, but what other defects are introduced to the mix. I guess only time will tell.

A mutt is a mutt in my opinion and I dont understand the premuums on these ones. You can get a great dog at the shelter, but if you go the route of a using a breeder, pick a reputable one.

I've always understood that defects were more frequent in purebred dogs, due to a sometimes limited gene pool or a family tree without many branches. Crossbreeds, mixes , mutts or as they are fashionably called today with cutesy names, designer breeds are less prone to defects. My family has always had purebreds hunting dogs both hounds and bird dogs. After not having a dog for years and now retired my wife and I got a dog from the SPCA, thinks she is mostly yellow lab but with some ridgeback or boxer and maybe some pit in there as well. By far the best dog we both have ever had, affectionate "velcro dog" .

Pure bred dogs are the ones with the most defects because of inbreeding. Shepherds have many issues because of that. Dobermans are the same.

Top ten dog intelligence list:

1. Border Collie

2. Poodle

3. German Shepherd

4. Golden Retriever

5. Doberman Pinscher

6. Shetland Sheepdog

7. Labrador Retriever

8. Papillon

9. Rottweiller

10. Australian Cattle Dog

So the "designer" breeders tried to come up with crosses that blended the best of many characteristics. Poodles bring in the non-shedding aspect, and then they just crossed to the other breeds to bring in a bit of the best from other breeds. Golden Retriever and Lab crosses with poodles are popular because they make great house pets. Not the best bush dogs because of the curly fur that picks up burrs, but great family pets.

We spend a lot of time at dog parks with our Golden Doodle and see a lot of breeds. Lots of pros and cons to any breed. But if you want a smart, althletic, family pet that does not shed hair all over things, you can't g wrong with a lab/poodle or golden/poodle mix. I personally think the golden retriever crosses are a little more sedate compared to the lab crosses, but both have a nice balance of energy.

Edited by Canuck

if you're looking for a slightly smaller dog, a cocker spaniel is a pretty good choice i think as well.

we have an english cocker spaniel, great family dog (also a velcro dog), agile/athletic, intelligent (trainability wise), but he does shed. breeder we got him from trains them as gun dogs for small birds. i'd guess him around 30-35 lbs, not small but not a big either.

a cockapoo spaniel/poodle cross apparently sheds much less with similar characteristics.