Fifth wheel or motor home?

Big Cliff

Well, Sue and I have been talking "and thinking". We both had so much fun two years ago when we headed out to the East coast and just played nomad. Our place is getting to be too much for me to handle anymore, we love it here but.....

So we have been thinking about going mobile, summers down East, winters out West and all points in between as the mood strikes us.

The decusions right now is do we go with a fifth wheel or a motor home so I am looking for advice from people that have made the choice one way or the other and your opinions. The other thing that would be very helpful is makes and support. If you can reccomend a brand that you have experience with that sort of thing would be great too.

Don't know if this is going to happen or not but it's worth looking into.

Sun seeker Diesel is what the in laws have. He had a gas engine, and traded it in after a year for diesel. You get twice as much mileage from it. Also get a car carrier. If you need to get groceries or go to the beer store, You don't have tear down everything. Best of all in case of emergency hospital visit or dr appointments just jump in the Smart car and go. They got one and said its the best toy for running errands in. Smart car to go into town and motor home for long distances.

5 th wheel if you like to set up camp, then explore.. towing a boat would be nice but I doubt it would be used enough to justify dragging it around . Some of the trailers nowadays have enough room to store an inflatable if you want to fish.. if you plan to fish in Ontario then I'm almost certain someone on this board would be more than willing to entertain you.. as for living down East...that's an easy decision, especially if you have the means to leave during the winter..lol

I had a very enlightening conversation with a "full timer", who sold his house and went all in to the lifestyle, in a pool in Florida a few years ago. In short, he stated full timing was absolutely wonderful; when he started. Saw new places, new friends and was great for about 10 yrs. Then his wife got sick and there was no stability during hospital stays, old friends were now different after he had been away for so long. The motorhome had depreciated to almost nothing and cost a lot to keep up at that age and the money he got for his house was pretty much gone. Neither of them felt much like travelling anymore. Anyway, not to be a downer but just some things to keep in mind while deciding...

Cliff, a decent 5th wheel and a diesel pickup to pull it. It won't cost you what an RV would and you can detach and explore when you are set up at a campsite. West Arm made some good points to consider. Good luck. I have always wanted a 3/4ton diesel pickup to pull our 30ft travel trailer across Canada as a dream vacation. One day when I grow up....

the good thing about the 5 th wheel is the ability to disconnect and go, trailers cost much less and you can make money hauling other peoples trailers when the need arises, easier to drive and manuever, downside extra maintenance on tow vehicle annual inspections and initial cost of getting a truck.

full size rv- there cool but expensive inlaws paid $150k for theres used it for 5 years sat for 3 sold for $25k

Can you travel for ten years or whatever then go to an apartment?

For two people a small motorhome would work. Then get a screen dinning tent for more space. One of the problems is the cost to park it for the night.

you can park for free at walmarts

depending on how big you want to go, a new 5th wheel will run 40-80k, plus the cost of the truck to haul it with, and a half ton is not recommended for 5th wheels

If it were me, I'd go with a motorhome, tow your current vehical behind it, park it where ever you want to sleep that night. Yes, the cost will be higher to buy the motorhome.

Motorhomes are easier to sell than 5th wheel trailers, guy down the street from has had his up for sale for 3 years, very few people own a truck to tow a 5th wheel with, let alone those who have a 5th wheel hitch.

Ya, lots to think about, that's why I thought I'd throw the question up on here and get some feedback. Diesel would be a must regardless of which mode of transportation we chose.

We are thinking something in the 32 to 36' range, I'd want to be comfortable.

West Arm; excellent points there, experience is the kind of feedback that will really help us. We realize that we wouldn't be able to do it forever, that is why we are thinking of doing it now while we still can. Hopefully for about the next five years then perhaps into a condo.

Ernie, why such a huge loss, was it in bad shape when they did decide to sell it? I have just started looking at some used ones and they seem to hold their value fairly well (at least the better brands do anyway).

Tender52; What size is there's and do they use it full time?

Are you going to do small engine repair work on your travels?

If you want to come by I will have a cold one for you :)

Oh I might do a little puttering here and there just to help out where I can, but I'd be happy to stop by for a cold one :whistling:

Cliff you know I've own in the past 30 years every thing from soup to nuts . If you and the wife have the chance to take a drive over here , I'd be glad to show you what Beverly and I decided to go with and retire with , I think you's will be impressed as well as knowing how well it worked for us for three weeks last summer in Nova Scotia . Give us a shout .

Cliff; it is something that we have been thinking about seriously for a few years also. Need to do this before we get too far past the age of being away from caregivers if needed.

I have rented and looked at motor homes (35 to 40 feet) in the past and although they provide everything one could want they are restrictive once you get where you want to go unless you have a smaller vehicle attached, and for me and my 6'5", 295lb frame, that is not an option.

I believe a diesel truck dually and fifth wheel attachment is a good choice.

One other thing needed to consider is your provincial health care and the amount of time spent out of province/country.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and we might see each other around a campfire someplace on this continent in the next few years.

Gotta live the dream, Cliff.

Don't know which option is best but makes sense to me to keep your home. Rent it out for a year.

Buy a unit used. Fairly new. Be patient. A great deal will present itself. The rent covers all costs

Give it a whirl.

If it's not for you, you can do plan B.

But at least you tried.

Livin the Dream.

You don't want regrets.

Cliff; it is something that we have been thinking about seriously for a few years also. Need to do this before we get too far past the age of being away from caregivers if needed.

I have rented and looked at motor homes (35 to 40 feet) in the past and although they provide everything one could want they are restrictive once you get where you want to go unless you have a smaller vehicle attached, and for me and my 6'5", 295lb frame, that is not an option.

I believe a diesel truck dually and fifth wheel attachment is a good choice.

One other thing needed to consider is your provincial health care and the amount of time spent out of province/country.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and we might see each other around a campfire someplace on this continent in the next few years.

Already looked into the health care, as long as we are in Canada we wouldn't have a problem because we would be dividing our time between the East Coast in the Spring and summers, the West Coast in the winters, and plenty of time in Ontario in between. We wouldn't go into the US (other than just passing through) because the health insurance for Sue is just too high.

Edited by Big Cliff

I'm still a few years away from freedom but SWMBO and I have thought about this as well. If we did follow this path, it'd be a diesel pusher pulling a small vehicle. I wouldn't bother trailering a boat as the times I would want to fish, I'd find a lodge/resort that had camping space and rent their boats. or I'd strap a Portabote to the side for smaller waters.

I like the idea that in a motorhome, everything is in one large space and there's lots of room if travelling with others. Would get cramped in a crew cab on long days. ymmv..haha

Edited by woodenboater

My dad recently bought a 5th wheel and trailer used as a package.. low miles on both for about half of the retail new price.. because it's a dually it costs more to register and license and requires a yearly inspection.. he's happy to park and set up but with the option of touring with the truck.. anything close by and they use folding bikes..

At our age Big Cliff the health issue supersedes the cost of any unit. A few years back Mom who is American insisted she go to Western NY for her last family reunion "for a few hours" regardless of my objections as she is uninsurable. You guest it a ER visit to the hospital in North Tonawanda cost them $7200.00 US. Just stay away from the states.

I haven't done a lot of research on "Home Exchange"; but it sure sounds interesting.

Drive or fly to whatever part of canada and move in for your stay there. You can buy a lot of air time for the money you'd spend getting set up with either the motorhome or a 5th wheel.

https://www.homeexchange.com/en/s/Canada/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bcanadian+house+swap&utm_campaign=HE+USA+-+Location+Specific+%28World+Targeting%29&mkwid=sP9US9aKf%7Cdc&pcrid=53327384994&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuLKtBRDPicmJyvu_qZMBEiQAzlGN5rmvRVjG6bMCFqYe_Inrmakp7sHtrfaITWRl75awT7AaAmdU8P8HAQ&page=2

No doubt there are likely some pitfalls with this program; like I said I haven't done a lot of research on it yet?

Dan.

That could be interesting Dan, I think I'd really like to talk to some people that have done this and see what their experience was like. I did go to the site for a bit but I couldn't find any reviews from people that had actually stayed at some of the homes. I'll go back and have a second look when I get a bit more time.