A week ago Saturday, was checked by the police for safety equipment on the water. 11.00 am.

Life Jackets...check

Throw rope.......check

Paddle.....check

Working flashlight....?....(I bring one if I know I will be out towards dusk) but wait, there's one in the orange safety kit tucked away in storage.

So I pull out the dollar store flashlight that is supplied with the kit and look at the police. They are smiling with anticipation....I think I put new batteries last season. My thumb on the button thinking to myself .."this is going to be expensive if this baby doesn't light up"

Well it lights up just barely enough to get me off the hook.

So take a minute and check your flashlights are working and be safe on the water. :rolleyes:

I have real safety equipment for emergencies, and then I have the orange kit from Canadian tire that I hold up for marine police. I check my batteries every spring and throw an extra set of double A's in the bottom of the orange kit. Keeps me out of trouble! Good reminder.

I keep a waterproof flashlight and whistle in my tackle box at all times. Even my big boat only barely hits 20 foot but i carry flares, throw rope in a bag, fire ext, compass, anchor, whistle, flashlight etc... Only thing i dont have is a radar reflector. Better to be safe then sorry.

O.P.P., how can I explain it

I'll take it frame by frame it

To have y'all all jumping, shouting, saying it

O is for other, P is for peoples', scratch your temple

The last P, well that's not that simple

It's sort of like, well, another way to call a cat a kitten

It's five little letters that are missing here

Couldn't help myself.

You down with OPP? Yeah you know me!

Even if you have brand new batteries in the boat (even in the pee bucket with the flashlight) and the useless little flashlight doesn't work.. you get the fine. OPP had a hay day with some of our neighbours last year because they bought the orange pee bucket and threw it in the boat without loading the batteries in the flashlight. Like the thing is ever going to get you home. I hold up my 10 million candle power, blind them showing it works and I always get "is it waterproof?" !

I don't miss the marine Nazi's of Ontario.

All I get to deal with here are conservation officers.

It's actually nice being asked for licenses and such.

In 8 years here I have been asked more than the entire time live in Ontario. :tease::tease::tease:

When I was in Ontario and lived in Mississauga I fished Lake O almost daily and the Peel Marine Unit checked me almost daily for my safety gear and license because they were too stupid to remember they checked me yesterday, and the day before, and the day before........... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

It bothers me when I hear all the flak directed towards the folks everyone expects to rescue them when trouble happens on the water.

I understand that we may get pulled over while we are fishing for a ten minute discussion regarding safety equipment. Heaven forbid we lose out on perhaps one or two fish. The reason the rules are there is for the simple reason of trying to prevent a tragedy on the water. Some people don't follow the rules and hence the need to inspect and enforce.

It's a tough job and they just cannot please everyone.

I agree with Drifter big time, the marine patrol might be one thing BUT my brother who is 20 years older than me who did serve with the OPP had his frigin knee cap blow out by a bullet back in the day when Parry Sound still had their own police force, they asked for assistance from the OPP , my brother resonded to help them and it almost cost him his life, and yes there were no portables back then, he limped back to his cruiser and by the gace of God he is still alive in a nursing home just outside of Bobcageon, his wife is still living in his original home just outside of town, And yes there is also a picture and plag of when he chased a stolen car with some (bad ) guys at the Aurora detachment formerly OAK RIDGES from HWY 11 north towards Bradford. At the bend just past what is know the drive thru at TIMS there used to be an abandoned brick building, my brothers cruiser went thru it and tore the top of the cruiser off, he still went over across the parking lot and pulled the suspect who was face down in some water so he would not drown. He was awarded a medal from Ottawa, when I call him at 72 often he does not know who I am.

Please be careful how u judge, but in fairness he was from old school, real school

with all do respect

BLIZZ

What a stupid game to play IMO.

Hey OPP, go do something in my best interest like catching criminals.

My brother did and it almost cost him his life, would u have taken his place that night ,,,I doubt it, it ia amazing how people can talk tough behind a glass screen , I can tell you where he is , maybe you should go visit him and thank him for 30 years of life changing service

I got no problem with police ( ask me ten years ago I would have given you a different answer). I've had some bad run ins like the ticket in a canoe for no buoyant throw rope. We both had life jackets on at the time. But getting stopped every damn day on the snowmobile sometimes 3 times a day really pissed me off. I can only imagine while fishing on lake o and having to pull lines every time.

I got no problem with police ( ask me ten years ago I would have given you a different answer). I've had some bad run ins like the ticket in a canoe for no buoyant throw rope. We both had life jackets on at the time. But getting stopped every damn day on the snowmobile sometimes 3 times a day really pissed me off. I can only imagine while fishing on lake o and having to pull lines every time.

I've never been stopped out on Lake O, lol.

I had a feeling this thread might take an abrupt turn. Compliance with the Marine legislation is one thing being safe is completely different. What in the Lords name is that little orange ball on the end of that thin nylon rope going to do for a 300 pound drowning man? I actually found my flashlight in the glove box and turned it on last week and it works. Infinicell AA rechargeable batteries, there's a shameless plug for you whoever you are..The Black and Decker I don't know how many million candle power however does not work anymore, it's 4 months old, bought for the boat because it's waterproof and is a real light but it does not freakin work. Now I have to fight with Home Hardware because their return policy is 30 days.

I knew this thread would take a turn once I read the first anti OPP comment. Not fair at all as I know 90% or more of our Cops do the best job they can with the tools and protocol they are given to work with. Sometimes I think people should get out of Canada for a while, not 2 weeks in Florida or Mexico and I guarantee you if you have had to deal with cops from a second and third world company you will hug and kiss the first cop you see here.

I've never been stopped out on Lake O, lol.

I've only been out 4 times in my own boats on lake o ( whitby and west end) and they have buzzed me all 4 times never pulled alongside. I like Georgian bay policy. They pull up out of your spread and say show me your life jackets, and hold up your boaters card, have a nice day.

I was actually worried when I saw them this passed Sunday . I didn't have paddles with me like I'm supposed to. Like I'm gonna paddle a 22 ft boat 3 miles to shore.

Edited by Freshtrax

Those "pee buckets" dont work here.

OPP or MNR same the same thing everytime "that rope doesnt float".

If your from Ontario your fine, but from the states and your fined.

Ive got no issues with OPP.

As a teen, well actually I shouldnt go there.

These days im polite to them and they are in return.

Not that I havent had to shake my head at them a few times.

Safety gear is important. Ive almost lost my life on the lakes once, I try very hard to avoid that now.

I was actually worried when I saw them this passed Sunday . I didn't have paddles with me like I'm supposed to. Like I'm gonna paddle a 22 ft boat 3 miles to shore.

No one is "supposed" to have paddles aboard their boat. What you need is a manual propelling device (paddle) OR an anchor. So if you had an anchor, you were safe.

These threads always take a turn because of 3 or 4 or guys who are on every website from guitar sites, car sites to fishing sites who hate authority, and any kind of law enforcement. They will tell you otherwise, that they just don't like the silly little laws, but in reality they hate the police. It would be much easier if they where just honest about it with themselves and everyone else. At least then your bias is out in the open. There are a lot of things I can't abide, but at least I'm up front about them.

Edited by porkpie

These threads always take a turn because of 3 or 4 or guys who are on every website from guitar sites, car sites to fishing sites who hate authority, and any kind of law enforcement. They will tell you otherwise, that they just don't like the silly little laws, but in reality they hate the police. It would be much easier if they where just honest about it with themselves and everyone else. At least then your bias is out in the open. There are a lot of things I can't abide, but at least I'm up front about them.

Sorry but I have to respectively disagree.

You might be right about a few nut cases but MANY, especially older people have seen our Liberties dwindle away each and every year because of WAY TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT in our lives. We don't need to be taken care of from the cradle to the grave IMHO. Someday you too might see that the light at the end of the tunnel is going out and once it's gone it will never return.

I remember a few years back, the OPP were handing out stickers for your boat, if you passed an inspection. Are they not doing that anymore?

It seemed like a good idea; especially on days like bass opener or Pottahawk pissup weekend, on Long Point Bay; where it was nothing to get stopped a few times a day, during those days.

Dan.