Power Trim or not??

Beavertail

Question for the tiller guys out there - I've decided to re-power my boat and purchase brand new, probably a 30hp Etec. Is it worth spending the extra $450 for the power trim feature? I've always used small tillers and never had the luxury, just wondering what I'm missing out on and if it's practical.

Power trim for sure.

Run the trim (motor) down all the way for takeoff (puts you on plain faster). Then as your speed picks up, start trimming the bow up, until you hit your best speed, which is just before the boat starts to porpoise.

Different loads in the boat different trim settings.

Dan.

Absolutely, Everything is expensive now a days BUT if you don't add it as a feature you will always regret it.

Dan hit it bang on. It made a world of difference on our old fibreglass boat when swapped the old motor out with a newer one with power trim. The ride was much better not to mention fuel savings

I dont have power trim on mine, and I dont want it, but its mostly because I duck hunt from my boat a lot, and running into stumps with power trim locked down is no good for me.

On a motor under 40hp, I dont think you'll see any significant difference anyways.

S.

For a 30hp it's a coin toss for me...

If your gunna push the limits of what the motor can do then yes...

If it's just going on a basic 14 foot tinner and you fish alone then it may not be worth it...

I have a 50hp yammy tiller and most days I don't need my trim to be honest... Actually 9/10 days I don't need it... But if my boat is loaded heavy and it's choppy then I'll trim up to lift the bow a bit...

I have a 50 as well. Truthfully the amount of trim I use is minuscule. The best feature of trim is adjusting the motor in shallow water and when trailering etc. I love it for that. Otherwise, I don't think it will make a whole hell of a lot of difference on a 30. And I used to have a 30 2 stroke. I run a 20 on my duck boat, and trim would be next to useless. Anyway, If you have an extra $450 in your pocket, then go for it. At least you wont have to manually hoist the motor!

i live on my powertrim.

it is just another tool in the perfect troll (along with a quality sterm mount electric motor).

if your looking to use that motor for trolling, make sure it has an option for variable control speed (merc's, yammy's, and I'm sure others have this option).

it is great for slight changes in rpm without having to worry about the throttle.

don't know if the etec has it....but it should...especially being a 2 stroke (which means more temperamental with speed changes).

Absolutely yes. Even on smaller motors as many times your fighting to get the boat to plane with a small engine/short boat. Having the pt really helps dial in the optimal settings to take off and to cruise.

Edited by Spooled

does the ETEC tiller motor have that advanced throttle control options?

Tiller Kit with Touch Troll Preferred Freshwater fishing boat partners An Evinrude E-TEC engine is as much as 100+ pounds lighter than competitive engines.1 You’re on plane faster, with less bow rise, so you can see the open water in front of you. Rugged, functional and very easy to use, it provides all the information you need while out on the water. All the features and controls right at your fingertips. Fully adjustable to maximize comfort at your various running speeds.

does the ETEC tiller motor have that advanced throttle control options?

Yeah, funny thing...friend of mine just purchased a 40hp Etec tiller and his does not have the touch troll feature, not even sure if it's an option. His tiller is also quite a bit longer. On the 30hp and under its a standard feature on the tiller, seems odd to me. I could be wrong, chime in if anyone knows more.

Edited by Beavertail