advice on aluminium boats

netminder

First post/topic in this forum, by the way. Greetings all. I've been lurking for some time now absorbing as much information as possible. Thought it was about time to contribute and figured my first post should have something to do with fishing rather than diving right in and responding to the cannabis thread…

I’m currently stowing away some money to purchase a small aluminum tub to get around a few of the small lakes in my area. I’m wondering how small is too small, though. I’m mainly considering the aluminum jon boats I’ve seen for sale at Bass Pro, and possibly connecting a 9.9 hp and/or an electric trolling motor. I like these ones because they’re only about 100 to 150 lbs and could easily strap to the roof of my car. I’d like to fit 2 people comfortably without sitting too low on the water as well. I’m about 200 lbs and anyone who’d likely come with me would be in the same ballpark for weight. Thanks in advance!

I wanted to do the same thing a couple of years ago but you have to be careful of the load ratings.No sense in buying a boat that doesnt have the capacity to carry 2 and a motor and gear. I eventually bought 12 ft car topper and 2hp motor used.

vance

Welcome. I don't post much but it's a great board to be a part of and learn a few things. I have a 12' Jon with a 4hp on the back that weighs 50 pounds or so. Like dave524 said, a 9.9 might be a little much. My 4hp gets me to about 14km/h with a loaded boat (2 people, tackle and gas).

I own a 12' Tracker Jon I bought new from BPS. I use an 8 hp 2 stroke and with only me it's on plane quick and is fast. In hindsight, the 14' would have been better for the little bit of extra weight.

They are cheap, thin and light. It leaks and if there's a chop, they ride terrible. I don't regret it but you get what you pay for.

Im going to vouch for the guys here that are saying a 4 stroke 9.9 would not be fun to lug around. I have a 14 foot tinner with a suzuki 15 oil injected 2 stroke, im 180 lbs but I hit the gym and lift weights etc and trust me the motor is not fun to carry and maneuver, nor is it easy to place solo when attaching it to the back of the boat.

Edited by AKRISONER

im 180 lbs but I hit the gym and lift weights etc and trust me the motor is not fun to carry and maneuver, nor is it easy to place solo when attaching it to the back of the boat.

More PT and less cherios :clapping: 9.9 are a bit heavy for that.

Edited by Fisherman

If you can do it , go with a 12' aluminum and a 6 - 9.9 hp .From my experience those small jon boats are very unstable .

I actually had a friend of mine fall out of one while he was driving it , funny afterwards but could of been tragic .

I love my Legend Ultralite 12'. You can easily pull her of a trailer alone when it is shallow. I have a 2.5hp mercury. No problem to take it off (~16kg) when i hit lakes where only electric motor allowed, but i agree that on a bigger water you have more time to enjoy the ride and view and less to fish :) 8.5-9L of gas per 100km to tow her ( from 7L with no trailer). I do not know how common it is but i like the fact that her wide benches are filled with foam. My estimations is that she should still carry more than 80kg when completely filled with water.

Save a bit more and get a decent 12-14ft boat and yes get a trailer you will regret it later if you don't it gives you way more options and you will be able to fish many more spots and be able to move your boat around and stuff !!!! A 9.9 would be great on a 12-14 ft tinnie !!!! Do it right from the beginning and you will not regret it !!!! Never mind the Jon boat save them for the duck hunters !!! Lol .. And if in a few years you want something a little bigger you will no problem selling your 12-14ft tinnie with a 9.9 !!!!

Save a bit more and get a decent 12-14ft boat and yes get a trailer you will regret it later if you don't it gives you way more options and you will be able to fish many more spots and be able to move your boat around and stuff !!!! A 9.9 would be great on a 12-14 ft tinnie !!!! Do it right from the beginning and you will not regret it !!!! Never mind the Jon boat save them for the duck hunters !!! Lol .. And if in a few years you want something a little bigger you will no problem selling your 12-14ft tinnie with a 9.9 !!!!

Yep agree 100%. I fish out of a friends jon boat from time to time and it is really only good for VERY sheltered areas. Even standing up to have a leak is something I don't wanna do.If you gotta cross any amount of open water they are downright dangerous IMHO.

My package is a 14ft Legend Ultralite with a 15HP 2 stroke. A smaller motor would be fine...I just have the 15 cause I bought the package used and that's what it had. Has gotten me everywhere I wanna fish for 17 years now. I towed it for 15 years with a VW Golf no problem.I plan on upgrading when I retire to something bigger and more stable with a flat floor....but I will never get rid of this boat. I have a few honey holes I can back into with out using a launch and can do it all myself.

The whole thing about small boats is how unstable they are,after much thinking I bought from sportspal the floatation that they put on the side of their canoes.It was easy to install and it made 12fter so much easier to use.

vance

Yep agree 100%. I fish out of a friends jon boat from time to time and it is really only good for VERY sheltered areas. Even standing up to have a leak is something I don't wanna do.If you gotta cross any amount of open water they are downright dangerous IMHO.

My package is a 14ft Legend Ultralite with a 15HP 2 stroke. A smaller motor would be fine...I just have the 15 cause I bought the package used and that's what it had. Has gotten me everywhere I wanna fish for 17 years now. I towed it for 15 years with a VW Golf no problem.I plan on upgrading when I retire to something bigger and more stable with a flat floor....but I will never get rid of this boat. I have a few honey holes I can back into with out using a launch and can do it all myself.

I like your tin boat.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I was a little mistaken thinking the john boats were more stable than they look. Definitely makes sense though. Might be saving half way into the season rather than right at the start lol. I guess the kayak will have to do in the meantime.

There are a ton of good used boats out there. The best ones usually pop up when you aren't looking. I looked and looked then found a great boat at a great price by just mentioning that I was interested in a boat to someone, who by chance knew someone ...