NF-What the Hell

So a few years ago (2008) a young man was riding on a greyhound bus in Manitoba and was stabbed, beheaded, and cannibalized by a guy who was sitting right next to him. The guy who killed the young man went to court and was declared not criminal responsible due to him being a nut case. Now after being institutionalized for 7 years the doctors say he's okay to roam outside of the hospital and to do what he likes. I read he wants to travel to Winnipeg for the day, but the docs said as long as he takes his medication. What's your thoughts on this cause it's been on my mind for a few days now.

Edited by LostAnotherOne

I think that when any doctor that claims any patient with a KNOWN violent history of crime is cured and safe to be out in public. That doctor should be chained to that patient's future forever.

If the patient relapses and commits a crime let the doctor serve the same penalty in the same cell. That might make a doctor think about whether they are actually safe to be out in society again.

I don't think just the doc saying patient will be fine as long as they take their meds is good enough, so lets have it be personal for the doc that the patient does stay medicated!!!

Mental health issues should be treated with respect and concern, it's a major issue that has come more to the forefront over the last 20 years. It affects a LOT more people than you'd think. That said, welcome to Canada. No-one that has hacked the head off of someone and tried to eat them should ever be released into the general population again, regardless what kind of meds they are on. Many people have suddenly decided they where "well enough" and stopped taking their meds, with negative results.

So a few years ago (2008) a young man was riding on a greyhound bus in Manitoba and was stabbed, beheaded, and cannibalized by a guy who was sitting right next to him. The guy who killed the young man went to court and was declared not criminal responsible due to him being a nut case. Now after being institutionalized for 7 years the doctors say he's okay to roam outside of the hospital and to do what he likes. I read he wants to travel to Winnipeg for the day, but the docs said as long as he takes his medication. What's your thoughts on this cause it's been on my mind for a few days now.

Im not joking here, i was supposed to be on that bus and my wife convinced me to stay one more night before my trek to grande prairie.

Security was insane when i boarded and i hadnt even heard what happened. Almost felt like i was in a war torn country. Full checks of all baggage at every stop.

I arrived in grande prairie and near the bus station read" greyhound, where you beheadin'?" In graffitti

Im glad I was not on that bus.

I agree, mental illness or not, he should never roam ANYWHERE freely

Edited by manitoubass2

I think that when any doctor that claims any patient with a KNOWN violent history of crime is cured and safe to be out in public. That doctor should be chained to that patient's future forever.

If the patient relapses and commits a crime let the doctor serve the same penalty in the same cell. That might make a doctor think about whether they are actually safe to be out in society again.

I don't think just the doc saying patient will be fine as long as they take their meds is good enough, so lets have it be personal for the doc that the patient does stay medicated!!!

Then how should we deal with criminals that have been locked up for violent offences? Give each one an indeterminate sentence? No hope of reintegrating into society? Get in a bar fight, break someone's jaw and spend the rest of your days in prison? Don't you feel that may be overly punitive, after all our lockups are called PENITENTiaries. Penitent being the operative root word.

Some will say he deserves a second chance. Some will say he should have had the electric chair.

Life is like a box of chocolates Forrest.

And nobody knows a thing about what has really transpired since then except for the frontline workers making strides to assist. It's easy to demand death to strangers, apparently.

I remember this clearly because i was on a greyhound bus the day before from Peace River Alberta to Edmonton to catch a flight home after spending the summer working out west.

I remember after getting sleep after a busy day of travel, waking up and seeing this story on the news.

I dont really know what to think on the news as this is the first I'm hearing of it but, wow those memories from the story and the trip back for me that day are flooding back

I remember this clearly because i was on a greyhound bus the day before from Peace River Alberta to Edmonton to catch a flight home after spending the summer working out west.

I remember after getting sleep after a busy day of travel, waking up and seeing this story on the news.

I dont really know what to think on the news as this is the first I'm hearing of it but, wow those memories from the story and the trip back for me that day are flooding back

So you were subject to all the searches as well?

I never seen anything like that before

Edited by manitoubass2

Then how should we deal with criminals that have been locked up for violent offences? Give each one an indeterminate sentence? No hope of reintegrating into society? Get in a bar fight, break someone's jaw and spend the rest of your days in prison? Don't you feel that may be overly punitive, after all our lockups are called PENITENTiaries. Penitent being the operative root word.

You would not want to know with how I believe we should deal with violent offenders LOL.

That being said the situation with criminally insane people is different for one major reason. They don't do time in jail because they are ill, they get to be treated for their illness. As soon as they are deemed not to be ill they can be released back into society, because they were never guilty the "illness" was. That release comes because a doctor or panel of doctors says that they are safe to be out in public again.

I just think the doctors should be personally invested in that decision.... I would love to see judges and politicians personally invested in the actions of violent criminals too. None of it will ever happen though.

Breaking someone's nose is a bit different than eating it no???

Is there really any coming back from a "delusional" episode where you hacked a guys head off and ate his eyes an part of his heart?????

Come on....

Burt

I whole heartedly agree that mental illness is an illness that may or may not be treatable. My uncle suffers from Alzheimer's, my 87 year old father does not understand it. He thinks his brother has a choice. I tried to explain he has a broken brain, his response is "it's all in his head!" Our health care professionals that are responsible for this mans release should, as some here have said, be tied to their decision for the lifetime of their patient. What we have here is a prime example of responsibility without accountability.

The litmus test here should be if the physician is confident enough to release the patient he should be confident enough to have that patient as a house guest for a period of time. And his or her children or grand children will be staying in the same home for the duration. Then lets see what they decide to do with them. The utter degree of horror that went along with this murder has brought this case notoriety and international attention. These types of homicides occur regularly, dead is dead. Not with such horrible post-mortem acts but dead is dead. But they will garner a few columns on page 4, maybe. I will chip in a few extra tax bucks myself to keep him behind bars to ensure he takes his meds. Or the cost could be offset by releasing a few hundred marijuana offenders from our prison systems or deport a few non Canadians to their home land where they don't want then either.

There is no cure, only treatment. At the least he should report daily to a clinic where they watch him take the meds to control his admitted insanity. Maybe that would be inconvenient for him. I don't know if it was here on OFC but I read a comment that says what I think well. " The liberals idea of being tough on crime is longer suspended sentences."

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Over the last number of years our governments have attempted to save money in the health care field by attempting to treat people with mental illness in the community as opposed to hospital treatment. While this sounds good in theory as being more humane than inpatient treatment, unfortunately people with mental illness do not always believe that are ill and often stop taking the medications prescribed to control their particular condition. Now when this person reaches the crisis stage because they havn't taken their medication, their contact is with first responders being police, fire or ambulance attendants. I also believe this is the reason there are so many more letal confrontations with first responders in the community now.

I would never want to label someone suffering with a mental illness as criminal, but surely there has to be some safeguards for the community before someone like the accused from the Greyhound bus is released back into the community. I can't imagine being a member of his family hearing this person will be back in the community.

Cheers

Craig