Will this winter ever end

Paudash

Let me start with I am not as tough as most of you because I have tried many times and I just don't get the ice fishing bug most of you have. No matter what I just get cold and never catch fish

I am starting to wake up at nights from dreams about ice out laker fishing

In past years I have always dealt with the winter by living in hockey rinks 4-5 days a week but now my kids of aged out and one is off to college and the other will be going next year

This is how I have spent my winter so far

I have finished the basement

I redid my daughters room

painted the entrance into the house

I am now in them middle of a kitchen remodel which I hope to have done next week if my wife can ever pick the paint colours

for you other non ice fishermen what do you do to make it through the winter

Paudash:...Be grateful that your health allowed you to do the chores you did...

My days are spent mostly between the 'puter and the tv unless I have doctor's appointments...

Today I plan on throwing some wood from the pile up onto the porch to fill the plastic tubs I keep them in...until my back cries "No more !!!"

Next week will be taken up with travelling to Newmarket/Richmond Hill for an operation on my left eye to remove cataracts then a couple of follow-up appointments...also will be having a cystoscopy at P'Boro early March...Exciting eh?

Come the soft water season, I will be able to get out on the electric scooter my son gave me for Father's Day last year, and get down to the shoreline of Tait's bay to wet a line...and /or pick-up the mail at the boxes...

Edited by Beans

I'm with Sinker on this one, it has been a great winter so far, just like last year.

Winter is my favorite time of year..... lot of stuff to do.... ice fishing, snowshoeing (new to me this year and I love it!), standing out on the driveway drinking beer lol....

Burt :)

When I'm not out ice fishing, riding the sled or playing out at my cabin site I work on projects around here.

I'm currently working on some custom rod orders for myself as well as some clients. I also tie jigs and flies to fill in time.

​On top of all that I create my own adult beverages and consume them while watching hockey on the big screen. :D

Go to www.mudhole.com.

They sell rod and lure making parts and tools.

You can browse their on-line catalogue and/or ask them to send you a hard copy.

They have lots of "how-to" videos and there are many more on YouTube.

Warning...These activities are highly addictive.

No one ever make just one rod or piece of tackle.

You will know you're doomed when you hear yourself say: "I could quit anytime...If I wanted too!"

Well. Since the soft water season ended I have added.

- 30hp honda tiller

- minn Kota powerdrive v2

- lowrance elite 7 hdi

- 3 new baitcasting combos

- 1 new spinning combo

And several other smaller additions to the boat. Ram mounts, rocker panel, etc....

I need it to end so I stop spending money!

It's only February and we're living in Canada here people. Good lord, go buy a snowmobile, a pair of skates, snowshoes, or one of the other million things out there to keep you occupied and healthy during the cold weather months.

Prerty sure 80% off this board does just that.

My complaint is the lack of snow and cold weather. Mind you we did just get a dump and she dropped to -33 so a skidoo ride to the sliding hill is in order?

i too find myself weary of ice fishing but i got enough to do until the ice melts in the canal. Sled has been in the garage for some repairs after an accident a couple weeks ago and im real tired of dumping money and time into this thing haha...

But it keeps me busy i guess

I with ya Paudash - don't care for the winter and every year my appreciation wears thinner. Poor circulation and a severe boredom created by jigging do not make for ice fishing pleasure. I spend lots of time researching techniques and places to go -I am slowly pulling together a reference book of techniques and presentations to try over the soft water season. Luremaking.com has some ways to spend an afternoon, no matter what your favourtite fishing method. As a few have said though it can be additive, and before you know it you have spinners and harnesses and jigs and spoons everywhere.

IMG_20141222_195001_zpsrnjcyelg.jpg

IMG_20141222_200224_zps2hbkyjtj.jpg

IMG_20150102_103409_zpsamlnoxxu.jpg

IMG_20141129_171632_zps0gioxdsz.jpg

I am also trying to believe in the power of positive thought - this was March 25, 2012 with my son .... it could happen again...

GsBrownie.jpg

My 2 fav things in the world #1 FISHING. #2 SNOWMOBILING so to me it doesn't matter what season it because I am either doing one or the other !!!!! It's awesome !!!! I'm not ready for spring yet ..... But within a month 1/2 I will be in my Lund so it's all good !!!! Then by mid-November I'm ready to go snowmobiling again !!!! And with those 2 sports I'm outside 12 months of the year ..... Wow look it's -28 time to go fire up the sled .... Woo hoo. :))))))

I'm with the "enough of winter" crowd I'm afraid.

I didn't mind it so much when I was younger and more mobile but so far this winter my first and only ice fishing trip resulted in me getting a concussion, that sort of took the desire out of it for me. The rest of the time I'm either clearing the driveway or trying to think of excuses to not bother cleaning the driveway.

It's pretty bad when you look at the forecast and start to cheer because it's going to get up to -15 next week and they are only calling for another 30cm of snow tomorrow with winds only gusting to 50 or 60 K. :wallbash:

I've also had enough, dunnoif its just the Hamilton area but everywhere I look I see huge icicles hanging off eavestroughs(my house included), annoying for me as my driveway is on the side of my house that gets the midday sun and the icicles then drip and create extremely slippery black ice, spent more on salt this year than I did in the past 5