Home Security - NF

G.mech

I have a system , wireless door sensors on all main floor doors, water leak sensor in laundry room , motion sensors in the 2 garages, and a camera on the main floor that takes 5 photos when the front door is opened and a 5 min video when an alarm is tripped that gets sent to my smartphone instantly. It pays for itself with the insurance discount. It also lets me keep tabs in my wife :) .

I haven't had a false alarm yet and if Alarm is tripped the monitoring company calls me , and my wife before sending authorities .

But this guy is my best deterrent

5d3d8ec1.jpg

Edited by Freshtrax

Lol everyone says that. He is a olde English bulldog x. Rottie

Our girl in my avatar is similar, we got her from the SPCA in the summer. My best guess is that she is mostly Vizsla mix, based on her apperarance and disposition/behavior, she is a "velcro dog". Probably got some pit or rotty in there too, she is stockier than a V and the shorter ears. Anyway she looks like she could be a problem to the undesireable element.

I have a few elderly retired awesome nieghbors that are better than any watchdog !!!! Lol ... They don't miss anything they are always watching the road the people you name it !!!! As well as watch our house they are always home and nice people they tell us everything what time the garbage truck came by what time the bell telephone guy was working on the pole !!!! Lol ... Plus we have 4 motion security lights plus all our nieghbors look out for one another and we all know each other's cars & trucks so it's been great so far but a few do have cameras but yes always take the precautions and lock stuff up and generally just keep an eye out for things !!! But profesional theives if they want it it's pretty much gone !!! Locks & cameras only keep the honest crooks away !!!!! Warning signs & beware of unstable owner has shotgun signs work too !!!! Lol ... And "smile you are in the crosshairs " with a red laser. Dot !!!!! Lol ...... I would prefer 10ft high double razor wire !!!!!!! Lol .... Be safe and make it difficult for the bad guys is the best prevention I guess

... They don't miss anything they are always watching the road the people you name it !!!! As well as watch our house they are always home and nice people they tell us everything what time the garbage truck came by what time the bell telephone guy was working on the pole !!!! Lol ...

Shaun, since moving to the country 5 years ago and living near the end of a VERY quiet dirt road, I think I've become that exact person you just described.

If a leaf falls off a tree a 1000' away, I know it :lol:

Shaun, since moving to the country 5 years ago and living near the end of a VERY quiet dirt road, I think I've become that exact person you just described.

If a leaf falls off a tree a 1000' away, I know it :lol:

Lew our street is full of them, we have about 50 houses on our street and one side is all bungalows and occupied by retired folks! Bit of a pain they can cut their lawn twice a week!

I have a few elderly retired awesome nieghbors that are better than any watchdog !!!! Lol ... They don't miss anything they are always watching the road the people you name it !!!! As well as watch our house they are always home and nice people they tell us everything what time the garbage truck came by what time the bell telephone guy was working on the pole !!!! Lol ... Plus we have 4 motion security lights plus all our nieghbors look out for one another and we all know each other's cars & trucks so it's been great so far but a few do have cameras but yes always take the precautions and lock stuff up and generally just keep an eye out for things !!! But profesional theives if they want it it's pretty much gone !!! Locks & cameras only keep the honest crooks away !!!!! Warning signs & beware of unstable owner has shotgun signs work too !!!! Lol ... And "smile you are in the crosshairs " with a red laser. Dot !!!!! Lol ...... I would prefer 10ft high double razor wire !!!!!!! Lol .... Be safe and make it difficult for the bad guys is the best prevention I guess

During a home invasion I'll take my dog any day of the week and twice on Sundays over ANY retired person.

Assuming you are worried about being away from your home during the day you can use a couple Spypoints

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65761/spypoint-mini-live-8mp-cellular-camera

or with the blackbox well hidden or secured.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65760/spypoint-tiny-wbf-8-mp-trail-camera-with-blackbox

For the ability to look in at any time and motion detection. The Foscam are easy to setup if you have a highspeed works well and some even have mic and speakers on the inside ones.

For inside and it includes a motion detector/email

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-FI9821WBV2-Megapixel-1280x720p-70-Degree/dp/B00F3KWZW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424262318&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+camera+night+vision

or for an outdoor location.

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-FI8904W-Outdoor-Wireless-50-Degree/dp/B00426FEL8/ref=sr_1_26?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1424262482&sr=1-26

or a combo of the two

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-FI8919W-Outdoor-Wireless-Camera/dp/B008O5BIWW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YNHXGMB6DVR1EK6M7CW

Edited by mosquito

A beware of dog sign works too.

I agree 100% that the sign works; but if you hang that sign, don't have a dog.

I was told this by my insurance agent; if you own a dog and post a "beware of dog" sign; you're openly admitting that you know the dog will bite. It's an open and shut case against you in a civil court; even if it was a thief that got bit; let alone the guy delivering the Watchtower Jeho rag mag.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I see the complete opposite to being true.....most home invasions are people with drug habits and will be attacked if they enter my home by my faithful hound.

Or you can have your picture taken while they kill you and your family.

I'll still take dog over a camera or senior citizen looking out the window. Once they hear that HUGE bark they will look for a much easier target.

Most home invasions are directed at people they know have drugs, money gold or stolen valuable stuff and most likely know you have a dog and it will be the first to die

and if I'm home they will be the second.

You can't get halfway up my driveway without my dog letting me know.

I don't have gold drugs or stolen things to hide but I'd rather have my 120lb pooch on my side then theirs . He is trained to attack. The command is "get the crackhead"

Edited by Freshtrax

I have been thinking of how I'm going to secure my cabin @ the lake and the system I came up with will probably work fine for me.

When I designed the cabin I put a storage area underneath. This will raise my deck about 6' off the ground.The only access into the cabin will be via 2 stair cases to the deck. The deck will wrap around one side and the front.

My solution is an electric fence charger running around the deck railings with wire gate fences for the top of the stairs and metal stairs for the top 3 stairs as well as hot grounding alternating fence wires as the ground is solid granite.

The main purpose is to keep out bears and wolverines but it should keep people out as well. ;)

Yep, it's only going to be about 60-70 feet from charger to the end of the line.

As long as it keeps the bears out of my place I'll be happy.

Been a lot of places broken into by bruins in the last few years.

One even trashed my tent last August. :(

Don't forget the nail board at the bottom of the steps, under the windows and doors as well...

3-1/2" spikes nailed into 3/4 plank should work... For both bear and stupid humans.

G

Don't forget the nail board at the bottom of the steps, under the windows and doors as well...

3-1/2" spikes nailed into 3/4 plank should work... For both bear and stupid humans.

G

The windows are too high for them to bother with.

They would need to get on the deck in order to gain access through door or window.

They can also walk up the stairs but won't be able to get on the deck without getting past the electrified gate wires. ;)

When I go out to the cabin I will just need to turn off the fence and open the gates. No bear boards for me or my dog to accidentally step on.

and if I'm home they will be the second.

You can't get halfway up my driveway without my dog letting me know.

I don't have gold drugs or stolen things to hide but I'd rather have my 120lb pooch on my side then theirs . He is trained to attack. The command is "get the crackhead"

OH BOY, you got the MAGNUM model.......mine is only the extra large model....90 pounds of terror, if you are foe.

And you are correct, no one can even get near the house without my hound LOUDLY notifying us. The wife feels very safe when I'm on fishing or hunting trips without the dog.

At night she likes to sleep under the bed (the dog, not the wife). If someone could somehow sneak in the house and try to do harm to us in the middle of the night they will think they got attacked by a alligator.......still looking for "Beware of Alligator" signs.....maybe if I ever get down to Florida I will find one.

A sticker on a window or door will dissuade 50% of thieves to walk on by so thats the first step I took. The next step would be to purchase and wire up a few sensors and a back up battery pack to two horns on a 30 second delay. Those things going off would have me on the run if I was a thief. Paying someone in an office to log when my alarm goes off doesn't make much sense to me other than making people "feel" protected.

Don't know where you live; but here in London there's an excessive noise by-law; that all security alarm sirens must be inside the building and below a certain volume level?

Kind of defeats the purpose of an alarm siren but big brother has the last say????

Dan.