cooking thread...

Nice cut of veal shank slowly cooking away with onions peppers and mushrooms. 250 for 4 hours should make it, pulled by a fork mouth watering. :)

Oh you bugger. Sounds mmmmmm.

We are having breakfast for supper tonight.

Panfries, blueberry pancakes, fry bread,side pork, eggs, and later on some herring

Edited by manitoubass2

Lasagna from the other night

FB_IMG_1428707472052_zpsq8bpp2ic.jpg

Wish I added more spinach

When you make your next one, try ground turkey,savory, and lots of spinach. You can char some red peppers on your burner to add as well. Have your stove top fan going on high.LOL

Way back in this thread I had mentioned about my scratch chocolate cake. Moms recipe of course. After eating and making this all my life I can't stand any type of store bought cake with that oil based icing. Yechh! So I found my comment on page 7 and noticed Manitoubass2 had asked for it. So here it is, with instructions for those not used to making cakes. Warning! Once you try it you'll never go back. Easy to make.

1 cup flour

1/2 cup cocoa

1/2 tsp baking soda

3 tsp baking powder

Salt (couple of shakes)

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup milk

1. Cream butter and sugar together with fork. Add egg and mix well

2. Mix dry ingredients together well in a separate bowl. Sift if you prefer

3. Alternate adding milk and dry mix to butter mix, starting with milk. Use a beater, but I've done the whole thing with a fork. Batter will be fairly thick

4. Butter a 9x9 glass cake pan. Metal also works, but I much prefer glass

5. Using a spatula, pour batter into pan and smooth top

6. Bake at 350°F for 35 min. I always check it a bit before. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake The secret is to remove the cake as soon as the toothpick comes out clean. If you wait longer the cake won't be as moist. The outer edges of the cake will just be turning darker.

I've always just eyeballed my icing recipe.

Two good soup spoons full of soft butter. Cream together with enough icing sugar to form a soft paste. Add a cap full of vanilla and mix well with a fork. Alternate adding milk and icing sugar and mix with beaters. Easy with the milk as it's easy to add too much. You should end up with 2-2 1/2 cups of icing, using at most half of a 1 kg bag of icing sugar. That's it for vanilla icing. I prefer chocolate, so add enough cocoa to get the icing nice and dark. :wub:

That's it folks. Doesn't take any more than 10 minutes to make and you won't be disappointed. And your kitchen smells great.

Cheers

Oh you bugger. Sounds mmmmmm.

We are having breakfast for supper tonight.

Panfries, blueberry pancakes, fry bread,side pork, eggs, and later on some herring

Love breakfast for dinner....

back to Big Cliff.............what wine did you decide on? (I am guessing blueberry?)

Doug

That would have been my choice too Doug however our friends brought over a rather nice bottle of dry white wine and it suited the meal perfectly.

Last nights venison dinner.

wP7cQW1.jpg

It actually started last Thursday when I took the venison roast out of the freezer to slow thaw in the fridge.

Saturday afternoon saw it placed in an olive oil and cider vinegar marinade along with plenty of garlic.

EkO2GUi.jpg

I knew it was going to be browned in a hot skillet full of bacon grease, problem was I needed bacon grease.

So Sunday I cooked up a pound of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon. Naturally I ate it all on toasted egg and cheese sandwiches for dinner. ;)

NKcxQkX.jpg

So with the grease at hand and the venison well marinated I got said grease and skillet hot and browned the roast.

IDlwMZm.jpg

Once browned it was placed into a hot slow cooker on a bed of carrots and onions.

ZUiZRrB.jpg

Two hours later at an internal temperature of 155* it set aside to rest for 15 minutes.

Then served up along with some sweet potatoes.

It was absolutely delicious with enough left over for tonight's dinner.

Weekend meat orgy. Love the big green egg! :)

IMG_0268.jpg

11133721_10155270090955467_8921580042277

11081414_10155270209410467_4534429309450

11081410_10155270209510467_7056582417543

10426263_10155270209765467_2873011066612

10451325_10155254012705467_5655341507930

644424_10155254012835467_274366309030041

For what it's worth I stumbled upon a fantastic South African wine recently that goes well with the meat. Honey Badger....

honey-badger1.jpg

OMG, just pass me another plate and stand back!!!!!!!

Now that spring is finally here, we've been going full out with the smoker. Tried a couple of different marinades for our smoked trout. Last night it was hot pepper sausages.

Nothing elaborate or over the top, but darn good eats.

I spent the last couple of days at the lake.This was early last summer. My little herb garden reminded me of this thread.GF & I planted some herbs last year & plan on a lot more this year. Last summer we had basil,oregano,parsly,rosemary,tyme,dill,chives & cilantro(I found I'm not a big cilantro fan)  photo 10500302_10152327480061713_8471000407168588752_n_zpsdab0840d.jpg