cooking thread...

I hear that. I can't stand the chicken these days at box stores. It barely tastes like chicken. For those that care, there are some really good documentaries out there on this stuff. I know netflix has a few insightful ones.

Great thread though! Some tasty looking dishes. I'm a fan of that cowboy cut rib steak a few posts back!

Our kids watch those documentaries and immediately were in huge favour of real food.

Not that we fed them that junk but grandpas and such did lol.

No more asking for fast foods thats for sure.

And the big box store chicken tasted like water and its tougher then heck lol

A good chicken breast cuts like a hot knife through butter and has a nice flavour. Still prefer partridge though lol

Back to Big Cliff, I will be interested to hear how the molasses works out for your (side?) bacon. I am thinking that will be a pretty powerful taste, and you might want to rinse twice instead of once after the curing...................and my vote for side bacon goes to maple wood chips for the smoker, for sure.

Somebody on this thread was using mesquite for something (I forget what), but I have found mesquite way too strong for just about anything I tried to smoke with it. I think you would get away with mesquite on real meaty beef ribs, but I have not tried that.

Doug

I only used a tablespoon of molasses Doug, but you are right it will be washed twice!

I just prepped the brisket I bought yesterday. The butcher cut it into approximately three equal portions for me (about 3 lbs each).

Two have been dry rubbed and wrapped in cellophane for a few days of chilling before smoking. The third is about to take a week long bath in a pickling brine before smoking it into my first ever Pastrami.

I'll update once I get it going.

Just picked up a nice little (about 4 lb) brisket to try my hand at making Montreal Smoked meat and a slab of pork belly, both are now in the fridge curing, the pork belly for a week and the brisket for about 2 weeks. Ths is going to be a LONG two weeks LOL.

Cliff do not laugh to hard but what is Montreal smoked meat, I guess we have been up here to long LOL. We scored big time on two packs of ribs yesterday, thought of you while there were bbqing with the smoked paprika and sea salt d..n there good

Cliff do not laugh to hard but what is Montreal smoked meat, I guess we have been up here to long LOL. We scored big time on two packs of ribs yesterday, thought of you while there were bbqing with the smoked paprika and sea salt d..n there good

I never laugh at a friend with a question :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: JK LOL

Montreal Smoked Meat and Pastrami are very similar, in fact it is a topic for descusion over a cold beer on a hot day where no one is right or wrong. Pastrami actually was usually made from pork but over the generations it has now come to be associated with beef. Many of the ingreadients are the same (or very similar) in the cure and to be honest with you if I was served a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich and a pastrami sandwich on the same plate, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which was which (but I'd eat both trying LOL).

Spiel; Heavy duty zip lock bags and about 10 days in the fridge. What recipe are you using for as cure?

looks like we may be a little late to the table, but here we go anyway,

at our house, we have a couple days that recognize our family structure - gotcha day, and for ever family day

We recognize these in a variety of ways, but food always plays a big part,

You get to pick what you want to eat - we can go out, eat in, what ever you choose. G's current fave is chicken Tetrazzini. I'm the cook in the house, and G is into learning to cook, so tonight was learn how to make your fave supper dude,

we do this one from scratch

start with a whole chicken, boil it for 30 mins with some onions, garlic, celery, carrots and secret seasonings. let it cool and pull the meat off the bones. Save the juices

IMG_20150509_171305_zpsnhxtfgnb.jpg

make the noodles

IMG_20150509_171301_zpsdz1b5v2p.jpg

IMG_20150509_171255_zpsvyqpbngh.jpgA

A few butter fried mushrooms

IMG_20150509_171310_zpsvqt5ivz3.jpg

make the roux, mix it all together and throw in the oven

IMG_20150509_173746_zpsprutta8l.jpg

IMG_20150509_173924_zpsrv7qftqn.jpg

IMG_20150509_173929_zpsgodn2rqu.jpg

There are no leftovers

IMG_20150509_181604_zpsjtkrmrm2.jpg

Spiel; Heavy duty zip lock bags and about 10 days in the fridge. What recipe are you using for as cure?

Exactly.

As for the brine, being this is my first time for pastrami I followed (somewhat) an online recipe.

8 cups of water

1/2 cup packaged pickling spice

1/4 cup pickling salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp garlic powder (approx.)

and a dash of cinniamon (on advice from a friend?)

I chose to omit the Prague Powder for now.

Exactly.

As for the brine, being this is my first time fort pastrami I followed (somewhat) an online recipe.

8 cups of water

1/2 cup packaged pickling spice

1/4 cup pickling salt

1/4 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp garlic powder (approx.)

and a dash of cinniamon (on advice from a friend?)

I chose to omit the Prague Powder for now.

That sounds like a lot of water for a 3 lb brisket, is that recipe for a full (about 12 lb brisket?)

Here is the recipe I decided on trying:

Cure a 3 lb double-brisket (fat-cap on) by adding the following spice mixture generously to both sides:

½ cup c kosher salt

2 TBs cracked black pepper

1 Tbs sugar

1Tsp ground coriander

3 tsp bay leaf powder

1 tsp ground cloves

Place brisket in an XXL ziploc bag and let cure for 10 days in the fridge, flipping the brisket twice daily.

On day 11, thoroughly rinse off the cure and then soak in cold for at least 3 hours, changing the water every half-hour to get out most of the salt. Dry. Cover top of brisket with 2:1 mixture of cracked pepper to cracked coriander seed. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

On day 12, smoke over maple chunks for 4 hours at 250. After 4 hours, completely foil the brisket and return to smoker (or oven) to cook for another 5 hours. At this point the smoke meat will be fantastic, but not 100% tender. Resist eating it now. Let come to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.

On day 13, gently steam the brisket for 3 hours just prior to service.

To carve, cut against the grain and on the bias very thinly, using a VERY SHARP slicing knife (the knife actually makes a difference). Serve stacked on fresh seeded rye bread with mustard.

Spincast that looks delicious, I see a second chef in the works

What store bought pasta would be close to what u make and what all goes in the roux, and how hard is it to make your own noodles

thx

john

Hi John: "close" to fresh is still very different, but the packages of soft or "fresh"noodles most grocery stores sell will do for a stand in, - unless you happen to have a deli nearby that makes their own daily.

Making noodles - easy - just a little messy. 2 cups flour, 2 eggs and water till it feels like playdough. Let it rest for an hour in the fridge under a damp cloth, and put them through the machine - or hand roll and cut if you don't have a machine. LOTS of flour at the rolling stage to stop them from clumping. I can throw together a batch of noodles in about 15 minutes from mixing to cooking - just add the wait. You can get inventive with them too - lemon, basil, paprika all kinds of really flavourful additions to the dough

as for the roux - this one is pretty easy and close to what I do

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tetrazzini-108730 after that you just tweak it by adding a bit here and there with whatever your taste buds desire.

Wish I had this talant Rick,

https://youtu.be/XRH56FNrgoU

these guys are amazing - seen it quite a few times. If you go to the Pacific Mall on the food court level, there is a guy there that makes it look sooo incredibly easy. It aint - the texture has to be perfect - its like the old Italian pizza masters who would through the dough when they made the pizza. We had one of those guys in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Watching him make it was almost more fun than eating it, and oooooh was it good.

Hi John: "close" to fresh is still very different, but the packages of soft or "fresh"noodles most grocery stores sell will do for a stand in, - unless you happen to have a deli nearby that makes their own daily.

Making noodles - easy - just a little messy. 2 cups flour, 2 eggs and water till it feels like playdough. Let it rest for an hour in the fridge under a damp cloth, and put them through the machine - or hand roll and cut if you don't have a machine. LOTS of flour at the rolling stage to stop them from clumping. I can throw together a batch of noodles in about 15 minutes from mixing to cooking - just add the wait. You can get inventive with them too - lemon, basil, paprika all kinds of really flavourful additions to the dough

as for the roux - this one is pretty easy and close to what I do

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tetrazzini-108730 after that you just tweak it by adding a bit here and there with whatever your taste buds desire.

Thanks Spincast, my wife and I are going to give it a try this week, thanks for sharing

Cheers

John

Got up at 5 to pull a few brisket hunks out of the fridge after letting them sit refrigerated with a dry rub on since Sunday.

Let them warm up for 90 minutes before placing into the hot smoker.

Should be ready in time for diner....

43gFrVe.jpg

Got up at 5 to pull a few brisket hunks out of the fridge after letting them sit refrigerated with a dry rub on since Sunday.

Let them warm up for 90 minutes before placing into the hot smoker.

Should be ready in time for diner....

43gFrVe.jpg

I am really anxious to see how this turns out for you! Are you going to steam them after smoking them?

I am really anxious to see how this turns out for you! Are you going to steam them after smoking them?

I never have before Cliff using my old electric smoker.

This new propane smoker has a large water try right under the meat (you can see it in the picture) and I have it full and will keep it full as the day goes on.

I am with Big Cliff that chicken ball dish looks awesome

Rick you have to share the recipe for that one

No I didnt make the sauce. Its a VH pinapple sauce. I really like VH sauces

By the time your done your really hungry lol. I think I made about 90 chicken balls last night. Well I started around 4 and I think we were eating by about 830. Not that its hard its just takes long(I was cooking for 9).

Ill get a recipe up later.

Spiel, spiel , spiel...

Cant wait to see how that turns out!

I really wish I lived close to all you guys lol.