cooking thread...

Corn on the cob?? Gotta give my vote to cooler corn! Fantastically easy to do. Just shuck your corn, some folks like them cut in half. I leave them whole myself. Put them in the cooler, boil water and pour enough to cover the corn. Close the lid and about 1/2 hour to an hour later perfectly cooked corn on the cob! Butter dish and some flavoured salts and you've got a corn roast!!

I've used one of those Black and Decker steamers for both corn and asparagus for years as well as other veggies, works for me but am going to try soaking ears of corn and grilling this year once the price comes down out of the stratosphere.

I have heard that cooler idea before, but I do not like the idea of pouring boiling water into plastic and then eating anything that has been cooked in what is then a plastic pot. It just strikes me as a bad idea, no matter how tasty it might be.............(says the guy who eats road kill and other stuff.............)

I have heard that cooler idea before, but I do not like the idea of pouring boiling water into plastic and then eating anything that has been cooked in what is then a plastic pot. It just strikes me as a bad idea, no matter how tasty it might be.............(says the guy who eats road kill and other stuff.............)

I have a hard time boiling corn no matter how you do it and then calling it roasted corn.

Now THERE is a manly dish! MEAT covered with BACON!!! Bring it on!!!! I do not recognize the cooking source - it is a smoker/BBQ and does it have a top? How, exactly, was the loin cooked? This one intrigues me...............

Doug

Now THERE is a manly dish! MEAT covered with BACON!!! Bring it on!!!! I do not recognize the cooking source - it is a smoker/BBQ and does it have a top? How, exactly, was the loin cooked? This one intrigues me...............

Doug

Thanks for the kind words Doug, Big Cliff and Freshtrax. It has been awile since I've looked at this thread and my friends north of the border have really delighted and impressed me with your dishes.

Great thread Manitoubass2!

My smoker is a Weber Smokey Mountain with a lid....bullit smoker

I rubbed the loin, threw it on the smoker to get an initial smoke and to not overcook the bacon. I then brought it back in to quickly wrap it in the bacon weave and back on the smoker for another hour or so... :wub:

PS8 that is not just an amazing looking meal it is a work of art

What would u suggest for times and temps on a bbq, I would put some chips on first

Thx

john

Lol. I think you can bacon weave over an old boot and it would still look tasty!

As far as my times and temps, I can only give approximations. I guess probably the loin unwrapped on the smoker was on for an hour, hour and a half at about 230* F. Another hour with the bacon weave on till bacon is crispy.

Low and slow. :stretcher:

You are slacking M2B2. No points for presentation on ^ dish.

We had a corn farmer from York on our crew that brought in sacks of corn every summer so I have had it everyway imaginable. Dampen a cob of corn in the husk. Wrap a paper towel around it and Microwave for 5 minutes. Peel back the husk but don't break it off, use it as a handle. Fill a tin coffee can or a new Ironworkers bolt bucket , new not used, 3/4 full of water, melt 2 pounds of butter pour it on top of the water in the can. Using the husk dip the corn in the can thus coating it 100% in butter. Get the millwrights to cut off the bottom of a 40 gallon drum, a clean drum without a skull and crossbone WHIMIS label on it. Layer the bottom of the drum with Metalurgical Coke. Put a Coke Oven Gas flare to the coke for 3 minutes or until white hot. Place a few pieces of grip strut expanded metal across the top of the Blast Furnace BBQ. Place the ears of corn on the metal and using 3 foot long tongs hi jacked from the Rod Mill, turn the corn until golden brown all around. Re dip the corn in the butter bucket. Sprinkle crushed salt tablets on the corn to taste. Enjoy. Now go drill the Iron Notch open before I get fired, you can't I can, I don't pay union dues. Please make sure the 200 ton Iron Torpedo cars are lined up first, please.

If anyone wants my recipe for 10 Chickens or a 15 pound roast cooked in 10 minutes buried in a sand slag runner let me know.

My very first shift training on a furnace I saw an oldtimer running past the Pyrometer Room window. When I went out to find out why he was running he told me the Rabbit got away that was supposed to be for supper. OK then, carry on.

If you think I'm kidding I am not. You tell them Fish Farmer or Spiel. The good old days when Steel men were men and Rabbits were nervous.