cooking thread...

I cheat on chicken pot pie, I put all the filling in a casserole dish and then smear a pot of stove top stuffing over the top as a top crust and bake.

Or you can take pillsbury biscuits bake them slightly or parchment or a silpat sheet then put over the top of the "hot" filling don't bother cooling it just put in in the casserole dish top with the partially baked biscuits and bake until done. Or even pillsbury crescent roll dough will work just don't pull them apart and cover the top as best you can sealing any edges with egg wash.... .

Another tip if using pastry is to blind bake the bottom crust until it is about 1/2 cooked. Will keep the crust crisp on the bottom.

Edited by Canuck2fan

If you need a good pastry for pies and things in a pinch; I usually keep a package of the Tenderflake Puff pastry in the freeser. Just take it out of the freezer for about 15 minutes before working with it and you can roll it out on a lightly floured surface. One package makes an upper and lower pie crust.

If you need a good pastry for pies and things in a pinch; I usually keep a package of the Tenderflake Puff pastry in the freeser. Just take it out of the freezer for about 15 minutes before working with it and you can roll it out on a lightly floured surface. One package makes an upper and lower pie crust.

thx for the info

I cannot lie , the portion on the plate was just for the picture, my better half took it.

I had way more than that, sometimes u just half to induldge, and I would do it again in a heartbeat

thanks for helping to smile again

john and peg

Well judging by the picture it turned out just the way it should have; picture perfect! Glad you enjoyed it!

Now I'm off this morning to pick up my fresh Ontairo lamb, butcher called last night to let me know it is ready. Kind of have a hankering for a nice lamb curry.

Well judging by the picture it turned out just the way it should have; picture perfect! Glad you enjoyed it!

Now I'm off this morning to pick up my fresh Ontairo lamb, butcher called last night to let me know it is ready. Kind of have a hankering for a nice lamb curry.

No no, marinate it for an hour.

Finely chop garlic, 1/4 onion, fresh parsley, rosemary and organo.

Combine all ingredients add olive oil and white wine give it a good mix and brush/ pour over lamb and keep in fridge for an hour or so, longer is better.

BBQ unrill done you can baste with the marinate while it's cooking.

What age did yall really start cooking? I was always in the kitchen with my grandma and aunt as a child, but I really just stirred stuff and ate pickles lol.

I started with crap foods around 15-16, just dumb stuff, eggs, grilled cheese, etc. Around 20 is when I really atarted to put together some good food.

My daughter is 13 and has a real interest in cooking. So shes been my sidekick off and on for about a year now.

Yesterday I let her have the kitchen. It was my sons 12th bday and all he wanted was a basic americanized sphaghetti and garlic bread.

I didnt interfere, just a quick reminder to wash wash wash especially handling beef.

Well 35 minutes later we had a meal for 10. Everything was cooked real well? dishes were done and the kitchen cleaned(thats a big thing for me, keeping up dishes etc while I cook)

Pretty proud of her?

That would be for a lamb roast or chops, those I save for special occasions like when we have company. :)

I get mine cut just for the BBQ, on occasion we leave the lleg whole.

If it's too cold we can do it in the oven. But mostly on the barbie. while drinking wine and tasting as we go along. I have four guys that stand around and wait :(

What is not good for the BBQ we do in a tomato sauce and then over a fresh pasta dish.

Most of ours is done in steaks and chops, 2 racks because that is Sue's favorite and a couple of leg roasts. The rest is done as stew meat with the bone in, that way I can make it into a curry, stew, soup.....

My dad died when I was 10 and my mom went to work, that left me to take care of my younger brother and be the "man of the house" so I learned to cook at a very early age. By 12 I could bake bread, make pies, and put a full meal on the table in time for mom getting home from work.

I still love to cook and bake to this day but I do prefer the more basic dishes and tend to rely on the natural flavors rather than getting all fancy with the spices.

Started cooking at about 12 nothing special. I got my knack on fishing trips :)

by the time I got married I was on my way and with a family with good skills we never faded.Son in law is amazing and always looking for new ways.

We never go out for the fast stuff so we enjoy what we make.

I don't bake but my wife can top anyone with cookies. She has baked a large variety for our four daughters "occasions" probably 300 cookies on each.

Love anything cooked out doors.

I got my fill of cooking from an early age. When I stayed with my grand parents in western NY before I started grade school and every summer until I was old enough to get a summer job My Noni dragged me to whatever restaurant around Buffalo she was cooking at until my uncle bought a restaurant and Noni was the cook. I had knife skills before most kids were allowed to touch one. I didn't touch a spatula for many years. Then when we started going on fishing trips I started cooking again because not many 20 something year olds can cook much besides KD and Campbell's soup. So I was camp cook.

It's good to encourage kids to do what they are interested in when young, never too young to start cooking.

Started cooking at about 12 nothing special.

When I would get home after my day at high school,I couldnt wait to get dinner on the way before my parents got home.Both were working parents so I felt the need to do my part. I learned from both my parents,grandparents, how to cook. I still remember the one day I came home and cooked up a feast of roast beef,taters,carrots,,,,,well you know, a Sunday dinner.( this was mid week ) My pop was pleased and said job well done,but asked, what do I cook this coming sunday? LOL

Ketchenany, My baking is limited to Pizza's and toast, my wife is the baker around our place too. I find many that can cook up a storm don't bake and vice versa. Not always but more often than not.

Same here. It,s a whole different art.

I went to visit a friend who grows mushrooms in logs in Fort Erie a while back. I wanted to cook some so he picked them. Having spent the day outside on his property we had a fire while setting up the BBQ for dinner. I asked him for some foil paper, salt pepper and oil. Wrapped the shrooms in the foil, grabbed a shovel put the pouch on the blade and into the fire for a few minute. :) Nothing better.

Yes B, I see my wife bake with her friends and I see it's not for me.

Ketchenany, My baking is limited to Pizza's and toast, my wife is the baker around our place too. I find many that can cook up a storm don't bake and vice versa. Not always but more often than not.

Gram was teaching us to be self reliant from an early age. Basics of cooking and baking learnt by touch and taste. Basic sewing, knitting, and the ability to darn one's own socks. How and when to buy meat and how to budget a meal were part of Gram's lessons for us at the market or the butcher. She wanted to make sure we could fend for ourselves on our own.

Edited by bigugli

I went away to university at 19 and didn't get married till I was 49, so I had 30 years to develop my cooking skills. Like other guys I am a good cook, probably better than my wife , but I don't fool around with baking ( other than pizza ) my wife does cakes, cookies and dessert stuff. Oh , I did do bread for quite a few years, guess that is baking.

I don't bake because I don't measure anything cooking, it's all feel. Baking is too precise, not for me.

I do a lot of baking but I don't really do much measuring hense my referance in recipies (amounts are approximate).

Bread;

About 5 cups of flour, a couple of table spoons of butter/lard/bacon drippings/ (whatever you happen to have handy) A Tbs = something about the size of a walnut. about a Tsp. of salt (I just pour it in my hand until I think it's enough) about 2 cups of skim milk and around a Tsp. of yeast. Adjust liquid/flour as required. Makes enough for two nice loaves of bread. bake for about 35 minutes or until it's done.

That is why it is so hard for me to try to give someone a recipe, I have to sit down and try to convert everything to measurments that someone else can understand LOL.

It is like my French onion soup, everyone that tries it loves it but when they want the recipe I can't give it to them because I use dehydrated puff ball mushroom in it. You can't buy it in a store so it will never be the same as mine.

I hear you Cliff. A reason I as well am bad at giving recipes. A smidgen is different than a dollop, a pinch isn't a dash. How does one explain the sound of something that is ready, like pasta. If I went by what they say on the package we would be eating rock hard spagets. My sauce isn't ready until it blup blups, not blub blubs.