cooking thread...

I hear you Cliff. A reason I as well am bad at giving recipes. A smidgen is different than a dollop, a pinch isn't a dash. How does one explain the sound of something that is ready, like pasta. If I went by what they say on the package we would be eating rock hard spagets. My sauce isn't ready until it blup blups, not blub blubs.

Blub blub is definitely too runny.

Any recipe I give is just a basic approximation. Even when baking bread, or making gnocchi, it all comes down to touch and taste.

Oh, gnocchi

Food of the gods

Have not made gnocchi in ages. My mangecake famiglia non sa piacce gnocchi. (Nobody in the house likes gnocchi but myself). I have to wait until one of the Italian clubs has a gnocchi dinner to get my fill of some homemade goodness.

I use dehydrated puff ball mushroom in it. You can't buy it in a store so it will never be the same as mine.

Now that is interesting. Most years I am able to find some, but with the very short season I don't get to enjoy them for very long. I tried freezing them once but they get all mushy after. Any special hints you can give on dehydrating them would be appreciated. Thanks

Cheers

Smitty55,

I have a dehydrater so it makes it really easy but you can also do it in an oven.

Just make sure the puff balls are nice and white and firm. Slice them about 1/2 to 3/4" thick and dehydrate them. They will keep in an airtight container for a couple of years. I use them in all sorts of soups, stews and sauces, just remember a 1/4 cup of dehydrated puff ball is quite a bit in a pot of soup or stew.

Oh, and if you happen to end up with an extra one or two this year :whistling:

Thanks for that Cliff. I have a good dehydrator so that won't be a problem. How small do you break them up before adding them to your dish?

Last Sept. wasn't wet and cool enough around here so I never saw one at all. Here's a pic of one I got two years ago. I was almost too late as two days later it was turning. Normally I prefer them younger and smaller so none goes to waste.

IMG_0495_zps75cdad7a.jpg

Nice! Yes, I prefer them a little smaller too but as long as they are nice, white, and firm.....

Once they are dehydrated they just crumble into a powder pretty much, don't plan on using them for texture but they are fantastic for flavour! You will have to be a little careful if you are using them in a cream sauce because it doesn't desolve, sometimes when you break them up you will end up with small chunks.

Cool. Tks again. I've enjoyed this thread. I live to eat well, :) and I have liked cooking since I was young. I figure I eat better at home than what I've had at many restaurants. It starts with growing my own quality garlic. It's the only garlic I use, and I use lot's hehe. I use the scapes too. It lifts any dish up a notch or four compared to that china crap or out of a jar. I also have good access to wild garlic, which I also use a lot, in many ways, including custom sausages. You might say I like good garlic lol.

Cheers

Cool. Tks again. I've enjoyed this thread. I live to eat well, :) and I have liked cooking since I was young. I figure I eat better at home than what I've had at many restaurants. It starts with growing my own quality garlic. It's the only garlic I use, and I use lot's hehe. I use the scapes too. It lifts any dish up a notch or four compared to that china crap or out of a jar. I also have good access to wild garlic, which I also use a lot, in many ways, including custom sausages. You might say I like good garlic lol.

Cheers

Pickeled leeks OMG I love making them, they are a lot of work but well worth it!

Tonight's dinner features a maple/mustard glazed ham garnished with pinapple rings and studded with cloves. Accompaning that will be scalloped potatoes and a mixture of steamed vegies followed by a wild berry cheese cake for desert. I am having a little trouble selecting the appropriate wine to accompany this, what do you guys think? Blueberry, dandelion, or something store bought?

What is your biggest cooking failure?

I made a meat loaf one time and didn't have any breadcrumbs or oatmeal in the house so I used a package of that oatmeal/brown sugar cerial mix. (It was the only meal that I ever cooked that Sue didn't eat)! Don't ever try it!!!!!!

My biggest cooking failure, well two actually.

I was just learning around 18 or 19. I tried to make a homemade poutine.

All i did was bake home cut fries, after they were done i added mozza and some packaged chicken gravy. Result. Undercooked fries, wrong gravy and wrong cheese equalled gross.

Next was a drunken shorelunch. Made a fire and prepped fish. Put oil and skillet over fire, waaay too close. Result, flash cooked fish in 25 seconds, well even overcooked. Totally underestimated the heat of the fire

Edited by manitoubass2

What is your biggest cooking failure?

I made a meat loaf one time and didn't have any breadcrumbs or oatmeal in the house so I used a package of that oatmeal/brown sugar cerial mix. (It was the only meal that I ever cooked that Sue didn't eat)! Don't ever try it!!!!!!

If you ever get caught like that again, I often use a tube of saltine crackers that I've crushed in the tube in a meatloaf, maybe adjust your salt.