Ice fishing fatality on Scugog

ketchenany

A 61-year-old man is dead after falling through the ice on Lake Scugog, near Port Perry.

Durham police say the man was returning from ice fishing when he fell through the ice.

A dive team was called to the scene to help pull the man from the water.

Police are reminding people to be aware of the changing weather conditions and that no ice is safe ice.

When will people use their heads......

I feel for the family this angler leaves behind....

So senseless

G

What Garritt said cause I don't want to seem unsympathetic but enough already. At 61 he should have known better.

Last week I was planing on going out on another lake today with Jeremy84 but we decided to call it off because of the weather. But more important to avoid the risk of the ice not being ready

I was out on Scugog once about 10 years ago and the only reason i felt safe enough to go out was because the hut were out on the ice

Edited by DynamicBear

Now that I have hit that age where wisdom should kick in I find some my age think they know it all and don't have any common sense. The " I've been doing this for 50 years and nothing has gone wrong " attitude. Like a pal that lost 3 fingers on his dominant hand because he didn't need no stinkin guard on his table saw.

I feel for the friends and family left to deal with tragedy.

I would say that 90% of the people that go on the ice (fisherman included) don't bring spud poles....

My numbers may be off, but it's something I have observed over the last 10 years I've been ice fishing.

Do most guys make their own spuds or buy them ? Haven't seen many around, seen one at ct but it was only about 12" long

Mine is home made (1" piece of rebar 6' long with a piece of 1/4" plate made into a chisel tip).

There are some manufactured versions available.

At CT there is a Rapala model: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rapala-ice-fishing-2-piece-chisel-1784200p.html#.VKrRbCvF-So

Jiffy makes several versions as well: http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/catalog/categoryinfo.aspx?filter=1&search=spud&type=q&keywordoption=any&cid=5&fltrdesc=

When we ice fished as often as possible we always had spikes in each pocket or fastened to a long piece of twine wrapped through to each arm of your coat. Like Moms puts on kids so they won't loose their mittens. A buddy went through in the spring on Quinte and he held onto the edge of the ice with a spike until he could be pulled out.

When I was in College we did a day of 'Ice safety' up around Gravenhurst. We had on dry suits and practiced getting out of the ice using picks, bars and nothing.

A few of us mentioned to our prof 'This is all well and good, but if we go in it's not going to be with a dry suit on' so after a bit of persuasion and complete supervision he agreed to let us jump in with just our clothes on and with zero assistance.

When it was my turn, as soon as I hit the water, I felt the energy drain from my entire body, like I had just finished a 2 hour workout at the gym. Even keeping my head afloat was difficult. I kept trying to kick and beach myself up on the ice but to no avail. Finally, I saw a chunk of ice that had frozen on top of the other ice at the edge of the hole we had made. I was able to grab it like a rock climbing grip, and roll myself onto the ice.

Needless to say, after seeing how tough saving yourself can be, I'll never go on the ice without a float coat.

That section of lake is known to be a dangerous area too. The guy had a cottage on the lake, and fished a lot. He knew better, took the chance for the first ice bite, and lost. I feel for his family. I bet they had no idea what he was doing.

S.