All this talk about gear....

lookinforwalleye

I agree to a degree. I think the technique specific thing is ridiculous. I buy rods based on the action alone, not because of what technique they've written on the side of the rod. I have several technique specific rods, but I use em for many different things, including what the manufacture intended. That whole specific thing is just to sell people a pile of rods! That said, I like new technology in rods reels and tackle, and I'm glad I don't have to use an old mitchell 300 reel to fish with, cause I hated those reels!

Edited by porkpie

I agree! That's all I ever used as a teen, Mitchell 300 & 301 (left handed model), paired with an Algonquin fiberglass rod. We fished Buckhorn & Bobcaygeon catching many walleye in the 4 - 6 lb range! Do you remember fishing off Shearer's dock in Buckhorn in the 60's. Having said that, the fishing pressure wasn't near what it is today. Last time I was in Buckhorn guys were keeping 12 & 13" walleye. Tackle, rods n reels are designed to catch fishermen! It's true!

Its all pretty silly really.

On one side fishing is fishing. Knowledge/skill/experience trumps all IMO.

Then on the other side technology has increased catch rates without a doubt. The right rod and line and you feel every little tick, can tell exactly whats on bottom etc.

I find my comfort zone to be right in the middle.

Everyone will have varying answers on this because fishing is highly individual and to most people the nature and scenery are almost 50/50 with catching fish.

So people will use what makes it a great experience or whatever they can afford.

Is todays technology needed for fishing? Absolutely not.

Is it preferred? Id say by most

Wonder what the future fisherman say 200 years from now will be using. I use different rods and reels for different species. When fishing the grand I just throw a hook and worm on using my ultra light rod. You can feel everything. When muskie fishing I like using my heavy duty rod cause I think it would give me a better chance of bringing it in, but again Ken O'Brian was probably using your average fishing rod and reel to bring in that record muskie. Just bought a fish finder so I will find out asap if it will bring in more fish.

Everyone has their own unique rationale for whether they fish, where they fish, how they fish and what equipment they buy to facilitate fishing. I’m no different. Forty years ago, almost all my disposable dollars were ear marked to support my family. That fact impacted how many dollars I could spend on fishing gear. However, I’m 72 now, have no debts and I’ve been retired since 1998. Fortunately, I’m able to spend as much money as I choose to enjoy my fishing. While I could no doubt still catch fish with less expensive gear, I choose to spoil myself with better quality fishing gear because I can, because I’ve earned that privilege and because I believe it helps me maximize my fishing enjoyment. Some examples of better gear that helped maximize my fishing enjoyment include colour sonar/GPS combination units, inflatable personal flotation devices, Cabela’s Guidewear and better quality rods and reels.

I agree completely with the technique specific rods and reel, designed to catch fisherman not fish. I buy good mid $$ range gear mostly because it's generally more durable than cheaper stuff.

Two things I think that provide a huge advantage today are electronics and information (mostly the internet). Internet forms, side scanning sonar, GPS mapping chips, etc, make it so much easier to find new sports, learn new water and techniques. Nowadays if you want to fish a lake you've never seen before think of all the info you can get beforehand. I wasn't fishing 30 years ago but I suspect you had to put in a lot more effort to figure out what's taken for granted today.

There were more fish back then because there were less people fishing.

I'd take the trade anyday.

I dont know that thats actually true. With hundreds of thousands of bodies of water in Ontario I would say its probably the same.

One lake takes a hit and anglers move on. In many cases that lake then rebounds.

I think its alot more cyclical then less fish now vrs then.

For example, one small backwater lake I grew up fishing was INSANELY PRODUCTIVE. Word got out and within 5 years or so the lake appeared dead and nobody seemed to go back. Years later I went to check it out just a few years ago and it was just as good, perhaps better then I had remembered it.

Also people tended to keep way more fish back before regs and such as anglers do now. But maybe thats moot if one assumes there are many more anglers today then say 60 years ago(thats pure speculation).

Also, many years ago people tended to fish close to home, which makes sense if your fishing to harvest. Also many lakes were not accesible through lack of roads and poor vehicles or lacktherof.

Today, as fishing has become more of a "sport" or enjoyment as opposed to harvest, many anglers now opt for a better experience in nature so they have an options of flying to remote locations etc to highten the experience

One example is Mike Borger. I doubt he spends a great deal of money to go on the trips to fill his freezer. Im sure he enjoys some fish while hes in said location but I doubt it effects populations at all lol.

Its a complicated puzzle IMO

I feel bad for guys just starting out as there are too many to choose from, sorting out the gimmicks and sales pitches can be daunting. Back when I started I fished with hook, line and sinker, literally. My line was on a sardine can "spool", sawed off piece of ribar for weight and the hook :) I was fishing for reef fish, so no need for a rod :). That being said I hated having to choose a fly line a few years ago, I ended up digging up as much info by my self and making the choice and living with the consequences if I made any mistakes. Thankfully it worked out.

On the other hand if you know what you want and can see thru all the shinanigan and not easily influenced and downed brand specific haters, more importantly can afford the costs, it is an exciting time bec. You have options you never have years back. I think this is the case with most products these days, not just fishing stuff. With what's available info online one can make an educated guess what to get. Nothing beats the field test unfortunately as everybody is different.

I'm the end it's your choice for what ever reason it maybe for getting high end or low or mid :)

Just my 2 cents

Edwin

I think the best part about fishing these days is the amount of technology you're getting for a low price. Look at some of the budget rods and reels, they are way better then anything at that price point you could have bought 20 years ago. Sure you can spend a lot of money, but you definitely don't have to in order to get some decent gear.

I agree with Bill. In some cases buying high end is a good choice. In others not so much but even a mid priced rod is sensitive with braided line. I think some people are easily brainwashed by marketing. Getting back to the jerkbait thread - a high end rid ain't gonna catch u more jerkbait bass BUT some people may enjoy using a high end rod more and so to them it is justified. I have mid and high end stuff and some older stuff. I like all my setups. I have two old quantum im7 rods that I wouldn't trade ever.

I know gear isn't talked about her all that often but the truth is there are fisherman and there are enthusiasts. As stated before, people who buy higher end gear typically love how the product fishes as much as how exciting it is to catch a fish.

I would love to catch fish everytime out but if I don't, using the gear I love fishing with makes it enjoyable anyway.

Not everyone will understand it, but that is why there are different pricepoints for each type of angler.

I know gear isn't talked about her all that often but the truth is there are fisherman and there are enthusiasts. As stated before, people who buy higher end gear typically love how the product fishes as much as how exciting it is to catch a fish.

I would love to catch fish everytime out but if I don't, using the gear I love fishing with makes it enjoyable anyway.

Not everyone will understand it, but that is why there are different pricepoints for each type of angler.

You hit the nail on the head for me!

I enjoy every aspect of fishing including lures, gear, scenery to name a few. Sometimes for me half the excitement is trying out new gear, or even organizing my crap for that matter.....there is no reason an avid angler needs to go above say a curado, but I personally don't feel enthusiastic about using an old clunky 5 guide rod with a cement mixer reel....but my dad sure loved it! Lol

But damn, it can be a very costly sport/addiction!!!

With all this talk about expensive gear...species specific this...technique specific that and a line for this and a line for that...how did us older guys ever get by using our Garcia Mitchell 300`s and our Conolon rods and how the heck did we ever catch a fish..... :Gonefishing:

You guys caught em all and made them smart, now to be concistand we need the fancy equipment/lures and lines to get the 4+lbr's in the boat...I guess live bait requires the "basic" old school equipment, sit and watch the bobber :P I guess the biggest thing is growing technology. A manufactuter now won't produce a solid aluminum reel with brad gears due to cost so now we see all these lighter smoother reels on the market. Graphites have become much better, everything advances in this world I guess. I used the basic stuff years ago and as I grow as a angler I find myself learning more about these technology's and what makes equipment tick.

Relaxing and scenery is a huge part for me. I won't miss a sunrise on the water when I'm camping...I love being on the water 14 or 16hrs a day in the summer. Very relaxing

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

When people always ask me why I have so many rods and can understand why, I ask them.........

Could you go golfing with one club ? Ya you could. You could also go fishing with one rod

But it obviously more enjoyable with nice gear. Same as the guy with nice sports cars ect.......

I was talking to a guy last night at work about gear...

I was telling him if I had a choice between fishing without my sonar/GPS or without my rod and reel.... I'd chose to handline... Lol

I'm pretty confident I could catch fish handlining...

I was even thinking about having a group of buddies have a "go back in time" derby...

No electronics....

1 rod per person...

Limit of like 5-10 lures or something...

I think it would be an eye opener for us all

I was talking to a guy last night at work about gear...

I was telling him if I had a choice between fishing without my sonar/GPS or without my rod and reel.... I'd chose to handline... Lol

I'm pretty confident I could catch fish handlining...

I was even thinking about having a group of buddies have a "go back in time" derby...

No electronics....

1 rod per person...

I think it would be an eye opener for us all

I did that a few years back with about ten buddies ice fishing.

no lures. only jigs/minnows on sticks

3 hour derby we landed about 6 sturgeon lol

about ten minutes left I won with an 8"walleye hahaha

it was fun though?

Great topic. We were just discussing the exact same thing last week. I didn't get my own glass spinning rod and reel until 1979 at the Outdoor Store, still have it. I was always borrowing my brothers Mitchel 300 and used it upside down because I'm left handed. The choice was easy, they had about a dozen to choose from that were reversible. You either spooled it with Trilene or Stren or cheaped out and bought 1000 yards of that blue Crappy tires line. It caught fish and remembering being broken off only 1 time with that set up on Stren 10 pound, 10 pound was my Perch, Walleye, Bass and Pike line, what else would you need? Then on a Nippissing trip, my first ever vacation that was a fishing trip we went into North Bay on a windy day and blew at least $40.00 on a graphite composite rod , still have that come to think of it. As soon as that jig hit bottom I knew then what the difference new technology could make. Then came the used flasher for $300.00. I don't want to know how much I have spent keeping up with the crew in the next boat before I curtailed my spending. Using a paddle at the bow or a long piece of a branch to maneuver the boat in the shallows works great but a 50 pound thrust electric sure makes it easier. Now having said that technology has made many a useless fisherman pretty lucky.

We had a problem with a transducer this summer and one of the 20 something kids said something to the effect " well I guess we better pack up now because we can't fish without that thing". I think that statement sums it up. It all depends where you started from.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No electronics....

1 rod per person...

On a trip to lac seul i managed to catch multiple pike, walleye, bass and 1 musky on the same rod/reel/lure in the same day with no electronics.

the first and only time ive used only one lure for a whole day. It was too hot to take off. I had to change the front hook about 3-4 times it kept getting hit and bent

Edited by Boss

I'll sum it up this way, new technology rods/reels/sonars are nice to have, but necessary.

i own a handful of spinning rods and reels, and 5 fly rods. my spinning rods are different lengths, ranging from 5.5ft to 9ft, my 5.5ft is used for jigging in a boat, my 6-7'ft rods are used for casting, and my 9ft is for pier casting.

my fly rods, obviously are different weights, i have 2 older fiberglass rods that were my grandfathers, they are a treat to use and land fish on. i have a mid range fly rod in my 6wt, its awesome to cast and handles fish. then i have my 8wt spey rod, obviously for big waters, then theres my high end 8wt. using the latest graphites and resins, its a power house of a rod, the more you lean on it, the better it performs.

that being said, i still enjoy using my dads setup from his child old, which cost him $40 and is still in use today, Zebco Cardinal 4 green body, white spool reel, with a rod that i can't remember the name of, the resin is worn off of most of it, and its clear lol

Boss, if you tell me here what the lure was I promise to keep it to myself.

I know of a group of golfers that are in a league where only clubs made before 1940 are allowed. They even use balls that are manufactured today with the same compression as the old balls were, I think he even said they are feather balls. One of the group is a sales guy at Nevada Bob's and he tells me that the scores on courses that were in use prior to 1940 are very close to what the players handicaps are today. I think it would be both fun and interesting to have a small tournament using pre 70's tackle with mono and see what the results are, 1/2 of the group would not be able to use anything post 80's and the other teams would be able to use anything available on the market today. I picked up a box of old lures at a flea market last summer and they are all or 90% at least pre 80's so I am going to try this coming year. If I get out this winter I can try using an old strumming ice fishing rod I have. Minnows and worms haven't changed much in 35 years.

Not related but this Hewlett Packard laptop I am using for the third time after having it sent back t HP for the THIRD time in 5 months isn't working right, again!! Can't use quotes and italics come on without selecting. Anyone want to buy a laptop cheap? And now the quote feature isn't working, again. The frustration is astounding to say the least.

Edited by Old Ironmaker