Embarrassing/funny moments while fishing....

ccmtcanada

I saw a topic like this on Facebook and thought I'd try it out here. We've all had hilarious/embarrassing moments while fishing or launching the boat. Let's hear your stories!

I'll start....

First time ever launching a boat, I repeated to myself to put the plug in. After walking around my boat a dozen times I slowly backed the boat into the water. Before it totally floated off the trailer water started coming into the boat!! Yep...forgot to put the plug in!!

Another time came while Muskie fishing. It was raining and my hands were soaking wet. I was using a spinning reel and throwing a big 12" bait. On one cast I wanted extra distance so I flung it out there with all I had! About mid way through, the bail closed and the momentum, coupled with wet hands/handle caused the rod to fly out of my hand and "splash!!" Yep. My rod ended up about 6 feet out of the boat and I slowly watched it sink. Lol.

just this year my dad and I took my kids out fishing. small walleye lake and got a limit quickly so the kids wanted to fish bass for awhile. so I break out some heavier rods and all three of them are spooled in the 20lb range.

so were trolling the shoreline and im up at the front on the trolling motor. I hear this big snap and thud, something smacks me in the back of the head, pretty hard too

all the kids start laughing. I shut off the motor and im trying trying to figure out what just happend???

I look at the back of the boat, I see my new rod snapped. kids notice and stop laughing. im looking around the boat and I see a branch floating beside, good size branch too.

so now the kids fess up. my youngest had casted into a tree. so as I trolled the rod was under alot of tension. in a panic he musta tightened the drag. one thing led to another and as the branch broke the rod flung it at me as it snapped in half

I wasnt very happy but after a few minutes it was a good laugh:)

A couple years ago I booked a Lake Erie Charter for Bass for my 85 year old grandfather and myself.

I get to the ramp and get all our gear loaded into the boat and off we go for a full 6 hours of fishing. It wasn't until the ramp came into sight on our way back in it dawned on me, I had left my truck running beside the boat ramp passenger door wide open and windows down the entire time we were out. When I got back to shore my truck had been moved and the keys placed under the floor mat and a business card from the regional police asking me to give him a call.

Guess I was pretty excited to get out there fishing with Gramps. Officer had a good laugh at my expense

Edited by Bondar

A couple years ago I booked a Lake Erie Charter for Bass for my 85 year old grandfather and myself.

I get to the ramp and get all our gear loaded into the boat and off we go for a full 6 hours of fishing. It wasn't until the ramp came into sight on our way back in it dawned on me, I had left my truck running beside the boat ramp passenger door wide open and windows down the entire time we were out. When I got back to shore my truck had been moved and the keys placed under the floor mat and a business card from the regional police asking me to give him a call.

Guess I was pretty excited to get out there fishing with Gramps. Officer had a good laugh at my expense

wow that coulda ended way worse

hahahaha

Oh boy, where do I start!

I backed in my 14' tinner. Went and parked, locked the car, came back to realize there was no Plug. I have never backed a trailer in to the water to fast in my life!! The plug was at my house, and the boat was full of water, so I un-hooked the trailer and left it at the launch to drain while I drove home to get the plug. I lived just around the corner from the launch...

I have also dropped my brand new LED mag light down the hole while ice fishing at night. Spend an hour trying to jig it up.. 20 FOW, so I could see the light on the entire time... (is that illegal??)

Trailered my sled up to go crappie fishing one cold winter day, and realized after pulling the sled off the trailer, that I forgot my winter boots at home, so I fished the entire day in running shoes. I wrapped a towel around my feet to keep warm.

I had latches on the inside and outside of my hut door. And the inside latch some how bounced in to the lock position when trailering behind my sled. So I had to lift my hut up, then carefully walk under the hut, line my body up with the hole in the floor, and slowly let it down on myself. Good thing my hut is light!

There's more, I just can't remember them all.

I've done that as well... 4-5 hours running in the parking lot... Lol

One year, while fishing for Salmon on a river up north, not a big river, lots of traffic, so when there was nobody around, I had to take a pee and as soon as the last boat went around the bend, I whipped down my pants and went over the side of the boat for a tinkle. Sure enough, a boat comes around the bend before I finished. As they passed by they said "Nice moon" hahahahaha.

I bought a floating fillet knife. We were out on Long Point Bay and I mention to my buddy that my new fillet knife floats. So I hang it over the side and let go... it sank like a stone!

Apparently it only floats when it's not in the sheath! Never got to use it once!

HH

I was fishing from shore in August and the spot I was in was pretty dense with small trees and bushes. There was a small clearing to get to the water, but in order to cast, I had to stand on some rocks which where slightly above the waterline. They were dry for the most part and the water was only a foot deep. I fished for 5 hours without a mishap... until I got a phone call. I had just cast so I was switching the phone to my other hand so I could retrieve my lure when I forgot how to use my hands. Turns out a Galaxy S2 will work after it dries out, it'll just do it's own thing rather than what you're telling it to do...

Was away fishing with my two buddies, went down to the dock early in the morning to get in a couple of casts while waiting for them to go out for the day. I always sit in the front seat when we fish so it's my job to tie up the bow. I guess when we came in from the evening fish the night before, it was real dark so I didn't notice how much slack I left in the bow line. When I stepped in with one foot, of course the boat swung away from the dock, leaving me doing the severe splits with one foot in the boat and one foot on the dock about 5 feet away. While I'm trying to figure out how the heck to get out of this, my two buddies come around the corner and start laughing so hard I thought they would choke.

After a couple of minutes I realized that there was no way out, so i just stepped off the dock into the river with the one foot and then swung the other one into the water up tp my waist.

As I marcehd up the hill, dripping water from the waist down, I could still hear them laughing.

My friend who owns the boat decided that my new name for the trip would be Aquaman

Glenner, your story reminds me of when I failed to tie up the boat two summers ago on White Otter Lake. Sand beach, awesome camping site, we had 6 people there, so 3 boats. I beached our boat to the far right, my buddy Al's boat to the left and Steve's boat to the left of his. Super crazy storm that night, howling winds, just one of those crazy nights. I wake up at about 3am and gotta take a leak. I walk down to the water with my flashlight and the boat isn't there. I'm thinking, this isn't good our Lund is now up on some rocks getting smashed to bits because I forgot to tie the damn thing off!!!!!

I look over and it is snuggled nicely inbetween Al and Steves boat, even had the bumpers out so zero scratches. I laughed good and hard at that one (And didn't bother telling the oldman either!)

Don't ask me how that even happened, the physics behind it just make me shake my head.

Edited by BillM

Glenner, your story reminds me of when I failed to tie up the boat two summers ago on White Otter Lake. Sand beach, awesome camping site, we had 6 people there, so 3 boats. I beached our boat to the far right, my buddy Al's boat to the left and Steve's boat to the left of his. Super crazy storm that night, howling winds, just one of those crazy nights. I wake up at about 3am and gotta take a leak. I walk down to the water with my flashlight and the boat isn't there. I'm thinking, this isn't good our Lund is now up on some rocks getting smashed to bits because I forgot to tie the damn thing off!!!!!

I look over and it is snuggled nicely inbetween Al and Steves boat, even had the bumpers out so zero scratches. I laughed good and hard at that one (And didn't bother telling the oldman either!)

Don't ask my how that even happened, the physics behind it just make my shake my head.

so your saying it backed out, shifted over, and pulled back in between the other two boats? Thats some close encounters of the third kind type stuff !!

Edited by Blaque

French River, big group.

It's me and my buddies day to do dinner. We put 2 big blocks of frozen chicken thighs on one side of the BBQ, turn the other burner on low, close the lid and head out fishing for the evening.

We stayed out longer than we thought. Boating back into camp, it looked like a bunch of people huddled around a campfire.

Coming closer we could tell it was other people from camp trying to extinguish our fully engulfed, flaming BBQ.

The other guys weren't too impressed with hot dogs that night.

Theres a few, demonstrating the new fangled rod " The Ugly Stick" you can't break it, watch boys just like on TV, SNAP!! They're howling, that don't happen on TV.

Played around all winter tinkering around with an old office swivel chair I could mount on any tinny seat turning a 500 buck 12 footer into a fishing machine. Played it up all spring and bragged about it on and on the 7 plus hour trip to the camp. The first day out for Pic opening I have it mounted up front. First time I turn around to look at my pal who's driving the weld breaks I fly backwards and get jammed in the hull, can not move I'm stuck. Legs strait up and ass jammed in tight. Had to go to shore to get unjammed. He made me stay that way for far too long. I took heat all week, they all wanted to know when they are going to be mass produced and, and, and.

Those were in front of friends so really not embarrassing just feeling stupid.

This was embarrassing. Just this past September our first trip to Mashkinonje Lodge. Launch the boat and putt over to the cottages slip. Plug, who needs a stinkin' plug. I'm yelling to my wife who is chatting with Goldie and her little boy, help, help like a little girl, they come running over and I'm bailing like mad but the water is coming over the transom faster than I can bail. Goldie who is one smart cookie and my new hero runs and gets a submersible and tosses it in. So there we are, My wife, Goldie there little son of 6 or so and I crowded on the bow of the boat to keep the transom above water. She had called Reagan that was out fishing to come and help this idiot customer that hasn't been there for 15 minutes and makes an idiot of himself after I begged her not to as I'm embarrassed enough. Who's in the boat with Reagan who unnecessarily came to the rescue, Italo Labignon. I ask Italo, "it's never happened to you before I guess?" without looking up he replies,,,,,nope.

Long story short, had been under the weather a few days got up on a holiday Monday by noon felt great, took daughter out on Rice. few hours out and to far for a 20hp to make it to launch i cramp up bad and shoot over toward a small island....no sooner i have my pants around my ankles this old couple come around the corner....She is reading a book he just continues to cast lol. impressively i manage to squirt it onto a rag in the bottom of my tinny! To this day I have no idea if they saw what was unfolding but my daughter is still traumatized.

Yes I sheet in my boat :blush:

Edited by 206

Albany River

Heading back to camp, everybody feeling good, full throttle, I just happened to be looking at my brother and cousin in the other boat. They ran over a native gill net, it hooked the skeg, and they went from 20 mph to a stand still in about 10 feet. Them and everything else in the boat ended up on the floor.

One year, while fishing for Salmon on a river up north, not a big river, lots of traffic, so when there was nobody around, I had to take a pee and as soon as the last boat went around the bend, I whipped down my pants and went over the side of the boat for a tinkle. Sure enough, a boat comes around the bend before I finished. As they passed by they said "Nice moon" hahahahaha.

Sue wouldn't dare try to pee over the side so if she does need to go she just uses the live well (I take any fish out LOL) then I just turn on the pump and flush it out. Might be a good one to keep in mind :whistling:

my dad caught a good pike 2 summers ago and tried to get a pic. a bald eagle took a few runs at him and the pics turned out hilarious(my step mom has em or id think about sharing them lol).

i didnt hear this story until fishing walleye one day, we get a limit and on the way back to the landing we stop on this mud flat and cast for some pike.

we are catching almost every cast, just having fun with smallish pike. I notice a baldie up on a branch watching and mention it as im about to take out my phone for a few pics. next thing i know im half in the bottom of the boat as my dad fired up the boat and decided to take off full tilt...

i guess he doesnt like eagles anymore lol

Not fishing related but I have had plenty of them. I had a fantastic bird dog, a GSP. Andy was a champion both in show and in the field, he won so many awards we have a wall full of them.

A friend who was also a photographer had asked me if we could take Andy out to do some field work because she needed some photographs for a project she was working on. No problem, Andy knows his stuff and I'm an excellent shot (she wanted shots of everything) so we load up and away we go.

Beautiful day sun is shining we get to the area I want to hunt and let Andy out while I get my stuff ready, then it happened; I realize that I had grabbed my 20 ga by mistake but I had brought my 12 gauge shells, we are miles from the nearest place I can buy ammo.

Then, to top it off Andy is nowhere to be seen, I start looking for him and sure enough he is locked up solid on point on a beautiful male phesent. I flushed the bird and poor Andy just stood there looking at me like I was nuts because I didn't even fire at it.

I think I really broke his heart when I I loaded all of us back into the car for the ride home. I have to say I was pretty embarrised!

Edited by Big Cliff