Kijiji Stories, NF

chris.brock

I have had good success selling and buying on kijiji,I have also had lots of no shows,low ballers. One tip I could suggest is when placing an ad and when giving your location never post your address or postal code,especially if you are selling items typically stored outside such as boats,canoes,kayaks,etc.. my buddy posted his nova craft kevlar canoe for sale on kijiji which he stored in his backyard,second day after posted with postal code it walked off. Lesson learned. Now he just post the city where he is located.

Never had an issue selling stuff on Kijiji (Even high ticket items $500+).. Sold a TV which was gone in about 30mins, camera gear doesn't last but a few days. No complaints from me. Same experience as a buyer, most people I've met are everyday people like you and me,.

It's actually Dellen Millard... but we're getting away from the OP's thread. Had a life handed to him and his father (Wayne) tried to keep feeding him funds.... even though his father (Dellen's grandfather) had worked extremely hard to build an empire, Wayne seemingly ran it into the ground. Sad when your own kid kills you for insurance money and uses the family hangar to store / strip / export stolen goods. There's much more to the story unfortunately and it will all come out in time.

Edited by irishfield

I've had good experiences on Kijiji. We sold the tracker and the old sled on Kijiji. The best one was the Tracker. The guy needed to drive it home so Paul let him keep the licence plates on the trailer and he promised to bring them back the next day. Was not sure that was going to happen, but he brought them back the next day with a case of beer for Paul for letting him borrow them to get home :)

I haven't had any issues there, bought and sold my sailboat there. I don't worry too much about low-ballers (I have likely done it before to be honest), I don't think there is much harm in asking for a deal as long as you are respectful and polite in doing so. That being said, if you make a deal for a price don't go back on your word looking for a better deal, after the fact. Just be careful I suppose :dunno:

ive only ever purchased off kijiji but never had a problem.

Only great deals have been made off of purchasing off the internet. Perhaps my best story was that I was looking to buy winter tires and rims for my protege a few years back. Found a good set at a great price on kijiji so a buddy of mine and I hopped in the car and drove into the middle of the suburbs in Brampton.

We show up, 2 young clean cut guys cash in hand...The guy turned out to be a car enthusiast himself, we loaded up the wheels in the car and then hung out in the guys garage for 3 hours while he brought out the beers. He then proceeded to give my buddy and I a set of brand new mechanic's gloves as well because "they were the best for working on cars"

Now that was a transaction!

Edited by AKRISONER

I've bought and sold from both Kijiji and Craig's List. All guitars and or amplifiers. I have a fair amount of knowledge on value of such things and I do look every day for folks unloading stuff all the while not really knowing what they have.

So far, I have bought;

-Marshall bass amp valued at $3200.00 for $1000.

-$3,500 bass guitar for $600.

I've sold a bass on Kijiji for $400 more than I paid for it brand spanking new! (That sale has funded many other purchases since!)

When selling musical instruments, the need to try out everything is quite real. All my transaction have taken place in my living room. That said, I always spend time on the phone with these folks before providing my address. If I get even the slightest inclining that something isn't right, I'm done with them.

So far, I have had great luck/success... but would probably have even better luck, if I could talk myself into selling stuff instead of buying all the time!

Misinformed sellers are probably the most difficult for me. The article may be worth X amount to the seller, but that doesn't necessarily make the item that value!

HH

I found if you're selling a larger item such as boat or auto, you'll get the reply about how the'll send more than asking if you send it by rail or other shipping method out of the country.....yet another Nigerian scam.

The best part about Kijiji is that you can simply ignore those emails. Some people get so bothered by them, I just laugh and click 'delete'..

I have bought and sold many things from Kijiji. as BillM said, you just ignore what you don't want, and I always meet in a public place. One key for me is always be prepared to walk away. If something doesn't feel right, or they try to change the deal, just call it a day, and wait for the real deal.

I've bought some amazing stuff from there, at some crazy prices, and sold some good stuff to great new homes as well.

Edited by mattaw

I sold my 1995 Jeep Larado. I stated the km any problems (not safety related) and that it was stored for two years in my garage. I got and email from guy from Fergus wanting it for parts as he had the same model. I told him no plates and will have to boost it to take it. PLUS the asking price in cash. When arrived started her up I gave him all of my service invoices . . . IT had 376,000 km and he told me he was going to use HIS for parts and actually drive this one :) as it was in better shape.

He brought a huge trailer and loaded her up and away she went.

I found if you're selling a larger item such as boat or auto, you'll get the reply about how the'll send more than asking if you send it by rail or other shipping method out of the country.....yet another Nigerian scam.

How often has this happened to you.

How often has this happened to you.

I find that if happens more often on Craigslist than Kijiji. I don't usually get those emails with Kijiji.

One thing that I noticed is when you post a few things for sale at the same time you will get virtually identical emails for completely different items. That is a good clue that something is up. This is usually on Craigslist though.

I have listed a few items over the years. Always seem to get some silly inquiries that seem like they are coming from someone at kijiji just to make me feel like people are looking at the item. I don't seem to have much luck selling things.

However, my son was selling an old corolla and someone from Brampton wanted it. It was selling for $500 and I told him it wasn't road worthy. The guy shows up and buys it, slaps some plates on it and heads home. My wife told him that all the brakes were gone and that the clutch was shot. Probably best that he not drive it. He's says it will be fine. Calls a half hour later and says he is on the side of the 115 and the car won't move. Wife says there is nothing she can do. It probably cost him another $300 to get it home. I thought it was junk, but my son said someone would buy it. Guess he was right.

I try to sell good stuff and no one is interested. Guess I should start selling my garbage. LOL

Bought and sold loads of stuff on Kijiji. When people do actualy show up I make a big show of unlocking the shed or the garage and usualy a big heavy chain and lock before showing the stuff. Once I listed a crappy Ikea couch and it didn't sell so I put it on the lawn with a 'free' sign taped to the middle pillow. Went back out side 20 minutes later and some one had taken just the one 'free' pillow. I had to toss the rest of the couch.

When I sold my winter tires,I had the fella meet me at a parking lot. No issues. He showed up,paid cash and we were both happy.

Then theres the selling of the bayliner cuddy. Thats a story that would take me longer then my little fingers could type.

But I wish I had of taken the offer of 3 slightly use ATV,s now.LOL

Good and bad with every thing these days.

I like buying from members here. :clapping::canadian:

When I sold my winter tires,I had the fella meet me at a parking lot. No issues. He showed up,paid cash and we were both happy.

Then theres the selling of the bayliner cuddy. Thats a story that would take me longer then my little fingers could type.

But I wish I had of taken the offer of 3 slightly use ATV,s now.LOL

Good and bad with every thing these days.

I like buying from members here. :clapping::canadian:

You too?,lots of stuff through here as well.Great resource.!!!!!!!!!!!

I have listed a few items over the years. Always seem to get some silly inquiries that seem like they are coming from someone at kijiji just to make me feel like people are looking at the item. I don't seem to have much luck selling things.

However, my son was selling an old corolla and someone from Brampton wanted it. It was selling for $500 and I told him it wasn't road worthy. The guy shows up and buys it, slaps some plates on it and heads home. My wife told him that all the brakes were gone and that the clutch was shot. Probably best that he not drive it. He's says it will be fine. Calls a half hour later and says he is on the side of the 115 and the car won't move. Wife says there is nothing she can do. It probably cost him another $300 to get it home. I thought it was junk, but my son said someone would buy it. Guess he was right.

I try to sell good stuff and no one is interested. Guess I should start selling my garbage. LOL

As PT Barnum said there's a sucker born everyday. You folks up that way have more faith in people than I sure do. What would happen if the guy had an accident and gotten injured or worse injured someone else? Or I may have missed the part they drove to the MOT and had the ownership changed over before driving away.

I like buying from members here. :clapping: :canadian:

Same, I just got a couple new ice rods from a guy here! guy was very nice and gave me a good deal, even invited me to give him a call to go fishing one day if we could work it out lol. Awesome experience, really glad I joined this site, just got my buddy to join as well! lol :P