favorite cultural food

outllaw

Well, being of Hungarian and German background, I have a few.

-Paprikash- chicken or beef

-home made strudel

-Letcho (sp) - fried onions, bell peppers with fried chicken liver, then add scrabbled eggs

I to, worked downtown for a number of years. I have grown to love;

-goat roti

-Oxtails

-BBQ duck and pork and roast pork

Man, I could go on and on!

(The other day, I decided to try my hand at Rouladen for the first time... I was told in no uncertain terms, it's a keeper!)

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I think I need to widen my cultural food experiences. Like to try Indian food one day. I here its pretty spicy so I will probably have about 4 glasses of water around my plate.

Lots of great Indian food out there that isn't spicy. Try some butter chicken.

My mom's side is austrian... schnitzel's, goulash, paprikash holds a special place for me.

Italian or asian anything... I could eat a veal sandwich or pasta daily. Love some korean or a big pho!

I think I eat more ethnic than traditional now when eating out.

My last meal however would be a fat rib steak, with banquet burger fries and gravy is a close second.

spicy is not bad!!!

in most dishes as long as it doesnt overshadow the actual taste of the food!

other dishes I love as spicy as possible.

I love cooking with habeneros. doesnt happen often these days cause the kids cant handle it, yet lol.

working them up with chillis and jalepeno

frig what to make tonight? this thread is making me drool

Edited by manitoubass2

Being 1/2 Finn and 1/2 Swede, the most obvious is fish and seafood of almost any description.

I also had the benefit of learning to cook from one of the best, my Gramma. Gotta be good to cook for the Samuel or Labatt families back in the day. All her traditional recipes are mine. Right down to traditional breadmaking.

International foods I love to cook and eat, but the Mrs likes her meat and taters. In Toronto, banquet cooking opens ones eyes to such a variety of cooking styles.

From the Dutch there are lekkerbekes

german sauerkraut and sausage

Hungarian cabbage rolls or cauliflower soup

Italian gnocchi in sugo or capoletti in brodo

Thai peanut sauce

Curries!!!! Goat comes to mind. Loved going to the Bamboo.

Mexican/South California. I grow 6 varieties of hot pepper

The list is endless

My mum says that in Ghana they recommend you put salt in your mouth, don't know if it works, but puking up because you have a mouth full of salt might take your mind off the fact your mouth is on fire and your eyeballs are bleeding.

hahahaha

same to billm thats hilarious

Edited by manitoubass2

It's not homemade but I'm going to add the 'all you can eat buffet' at Sushi Stars. Salmon sashimi, shrimp tempura, green dragon rolls, beef teryaki the list goes on and on. Feels like I need to be carried outta that place on a stretcher every time I go! I definitely get my money's worth.

I grew up in a stereotype Canadian house with parents who came from farm country. An exotic dish in my house growing up was Kentucky Fried Chicken

I never knew other people ate different stuff until college and the crowd I hung around was very multicultural. everyday we left Humber College in Rexdale and ventured out for a different style of food. I've never looked back. My mom still is nervous coming over for dinner as she thinks we'll cook some weird stuff.

Love sushi and probably have it once a week now (also working for a Japanese company it's a given you must eat sushi!)

Have been on the Indian and Thai lately cooking a lot at home. Amazingly easy dishes to put together and the sauces are easily available at most grocery stores. Curries, Masala and my current favourite is Vindaloo. You have to like the heat for this one. Simple one pot cooking with your fav meat and stir fry veggies added

Best Butter Chicken out there guys is at Costco!!!!. Big ready to serve plate - just add rice. You find it in around their meat counter in the prepared foods. Still the best curry dishes out there come from English pubs!

Also eat alot of seafood and fish now from the grocery store, Halibut loins, shrimp, catfish,.....

A common request from my son is to have a pigout meal of mussels - steamed in butter and white whine

There is a Peruvian place opened up by me on Oakville called Machu Pichu that is getting a lot of press about the different ceviches they have

Rotis, Gyros, shawarma are my grill cheese and hamburgers now

Well seeing as how we are talking about eating out, that is completely different! I thought we were talking about what is cooked at home...

I really enjoy Indian I mean really really enjoy it. Lynds and I make it at least twice a month, buying the spices, veg and sauces needed... Not to mention we also make our own naan... Love it.

Chinese, love the stuff but after moving out of Hamilton "real" Chinese is hard to find here... But I still love a bowl of Singapore noodles.... Nothing beats them. Curry and Chinese ingredients? WINNER!

One thing I miss from living in Hamilton is the Pho places... Good god that stuff is good! Not to mention cheap, there is one in belleville I have yet to try it though.

Went out for Thai last week had a roasted duck red curry and spring rolls. It was amazing! If your ever in downtown Belleville check out Thai house... A bit upscale but great food.

Given I am dutch I grew up in mostly dutch and Indonesian fair... A lot of dutch cooking has indo influences. Curries spices heat it's all good to me.

Now will someone please pass the chicken vindaloo?

G