favorite cultural food

outllaw

I have my butcher prepare a pork shoulder (porchetta) trimmed wrapped with skin and spiced anyway you want it. It goes on my BBQ and rotates for 5 hours. If I could I'd post a picture I would, don't know how :(

PM me and I'll send it . . .

maybe I'll send it to Big Cliff :)

So um.... Al when's dinner again? :) :)

I really miss the chop suey noodle soup we used to get from the Noodle House on Dundas Street near Elizabeth Street...it had everything in it from shrimp and squid to chicken, beef, pork, chicken liver and some odd veggies...YUM !

Also miss the seafood noodle soup from the Green Curry (food court) under the parkette beside the CBC Broadcast Centre...TASTY !

Edited by Beans

Curry goat roti, had one just yesterday. Unfortunately Monica can't stand the smell, so it's a rare treat.

If you haven't been to Shandras, I suggest you make a point of it the next time you're around Mississauga. It's so frigging good, lol!

I love food. Period.

My wife is Korean and her parents are fish mongers, so I've been pretty spoiled. They carry some of the freshest, highest grade fish I've ever had. The slabs of raw salmon and tuna I've eaten are shameful, lol. Of course, one time I had way too much Orange Roughy and it didn't turn out so well (read up on Escolar.....ugh).

As for other foods, I like Indian, Moroccan, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Northern and Southern Chinese, Japanese, Caribbean, German, Italian, French, Middle Eastern, Latin....all of it really :) Although, I didn't like Hakka. I thought I would, I mean Indian & Chinese, yes please! Turned out to be no thanks!

I actually started a little project at home where we would pick a flag from a jar once a week and I would cook a meal from that country. It turned out to be a lot of work. I got busy and haven't done it in a while, but plan on starting up again. It's been interesting trying to cook food as traditionally as possible. My most interesting dish was Croatian Burek. That was "fun" to make.

Putanesca = lady of the evening's sauce. Basically olive oil, garlic, anchovies, hot chili flakes, olives, capers and smashed up tomatoes. I am not a big fan of anchovies bbut they work incredibly in this.

On a trip back 'home' and new wife in the car! on the hwy into Rome there were fires on the side of the road. I asked our driver why the fires? It seems the ladies of the evening picked their spot and while they wait out comes the pasta, serious on this.

We just came home, nothing planned for dinner. Fresh tomato sauce in the fridge, put on penne for 11 minutes, drained and mixed in the sauce, added imported mild/hot eggplants (drained of some olive oil)

Eating within 15 minutes of opening the door! Try buying that?

if its like pickled herring bring it on

I love pickled herring, Heck, Finns and Swedes have a dozen different brines to choose from.

Surstromming is nothing like that at all. Norwegian surstromming is supposed to be the worst.

Edited by bigugli

What ethnic food is my favorite? No way I can pick just one. Most everything as long as it doesn't involve organs. There is an Indian dish that tastes like turpentine, don't want any more of that.

The reason I love Canada?

1) Best country in the world and I've been blessed to go to every continent save Antarctica.

2) Food from every country from Albania to Zimbabwe.

My friends that will only eat meat and potatoes drive me insane, they won't even try any " foreign food". Good, more for me.

I love food. Period.

My wife is Korean and her parents are fish mongers, so I've been pretty spoiled. They carry some of the freshest, highest grade fish I've ever had. The slabs of raw salmon and tuna I've eaten are shameful, lol. Of course, one time I had way too much Orange Roughy and it didn't turn out so well (read up on Escolar.....ugh).

As for other foods, I like Indian, Moroccan, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Northern and Southern Chinese, Japanese, Caribbean, German, Italian, French, Middle Eastern, Latin....all of it really :) Although, I didn't like Hakka. I thought I would, I mean Indian & Chinese, yes please! Turned out to be no thanks!

I actually started a little project at home where we would pick a flag from a jar once a week and I would cook a meal from that country. It turned out to be a lot of work. I got busy and haven't done it in a while, but plan on starting up again. It's been interesting trying to cook food as traditionally as possible. My most interesting dish was Croatian Burek. That was "fun" to make.

I love the picking a flag from a jar, what a great idea. It can bring us to food we might have otherwise never tried. With all the resources we have now if it's not on the internet it would be a rare food.

Putanesca sauce , usually with spaghetti, has been mentioned here a few times. I was told by a lady in Rome the origin. According to her the Roman ladies of the night " Putana" would get home late after a tough shift. They wanted something fast, cheap, spicy, hot and easy, kind of fitting as it describes their occupation as well.