Spinoff: Do you wear your lifejacket?

BillM

I didn't want to hijack the PFD thread, but I thought a few of the responses were interesting. I never wear one, unless the conditions call for it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had one on. I'm just not one to put myself in a situation where it will ever be needed (ie the guy in the 9ft dingy out 5 miles on Simcoe jigging in 3ft rollers).. The last time I had one on was a few years ago on Lake Nipigon, before that Lake Superior many years ago. I know I'm not alone as 95% of the people I see out on the water aren't wearing them either :) I'm sure this is going to turn into a crap fest but I'd at least like to see a few reasons from the other guys that spend a lot of time on the water.

I wear my auto inflate 100 % if I'm fishing alone and about 50/50 with other people. My balance is not great anymore.

In my tournament days I've had some hair raising boat rides. Did a 180 off a wave in big bay one time my tournament partner was on the floor. Happy tournament rules make you wear lifejackets.

I'm just not one to put myself in a situation where it will ever be needed (ie the guy in the 9ft dingy out 5 miles on Simcoe jigging in 3ft rollers)..

Hey I take offense to that :)

Doesn't matter the size of your boat. A PFD isn't just for capsizing. You can slip on your deck and hit your head on the way down and drown in 3' of water before you get out of the marina.

I have emergency training and have been thrown into some hairy situations for said training. Take somebody's word for it who's been through that stuff, wear a PFD. I have that training and still wear one. Everybody who comes on my boat wears one, even my dogs.

I wear my auto inflate 100 % if I'm fishing alone and about 50/50 with other people. My balance is not great anymore.

In my tournament days I've had some hair raising boat rides. Did a 180 off a wave in big bay one time my tournament partner was on the floor. Happy tournament rules make you wear lifejackets.

You bass boat guys are nuts. If I was hauling ass across the lake at 70mph, I'd have mine on as well, lol!

I wear mine when i head out in the tinner because the thing is not stable due to its size. Ive nearly flipped it over backwards hitting a wave and catching a gust of wind at the same time so i dont trust it very much.

Aside from that my dad and i always wear them in the late fall or early spring where swimming wouldnt be an option even if wed like it to be. Having worked on the docks with the ice on the lake, i know that attempting to swim anywhere in that kind of water means that you are going to drown. Aside from that I never wear them on the 26 footer because if you ever fell out that boat, you are probably dead anyways.

I wear one 100% of the time when I'm in a boat - Toronto Island Ferry was the only exception. I grew up wearing one as a kid in my uncle's canoe and feel naked on the water without one - kind of like wearing a seat belt in a car.

I got the chance to try one of the inflatable life jackets on my trip to BC a few weeks ago. Really like how light and comfortable they are.

Never wore a jacket until a few years back when I was alone in my boat on Nipissing in very rough water. I looked around and there wasn't a boat or cabin in sight and I figured if I got tossed overboard I could be in some serious doo doo. I put one on and now always wear an auto inflating Mustang when I'm alone in the boat and sometimes when I've got company too.

I also clip on the kill switch lanyard when I'm running fast and that's something else I never used to do.

We really do get wiser as we get older.

They bring some pretty good luck too :lol:

007-4.jpg

Edited by lew

70 mph bass boats are fun and comfortable.

All that goes away when you get in the big stuff. Then it's just survival.

Was out surfing big rollers on Georgian Bay. My tournament partner at 6-4 yells stop stop. Jumps up gets his life jacket on lights a dart and off we go. He is a big time TV fishing host now. That day just happy to get back so we could dry out the life jackets.

I didn't want to hijack the PFD thread, but I thought a few of the responses were interesting.   I never wear one, unless the conditions call for it.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had one on.   I'm just not one to put myself in a situation where it will ever be needed (ie the guy in the 9ft dingy out 5 miles on Simcoe jigging in 3ft rollers)..   The last time I had one on was a few years ago on Lake Nipigon, before that Lake Superior many years ago.  I know I'm not alone as 95% of the people I see out on the water aren't wearing them either :)    I'm sure this is going to turn into a crap fest but I'd at least like to see a few reasons from the other guys that spend a lot of time on the water.

If this didn't prompt you to wear a life jacket nothing would. You sound happy. :)

That was awesome. Also, I forgot about the time we came back from that back lake in Algonquin in those giant waves :) Lifejacket was definitely on for that little ride.

The only reason I wasn't wearing mine was because I left it at the end of the portage. I think that was the most scared I've ever been in a canoe.