How far will you drive for a day of fishing?

I'd rather not drive farther than necessary, but if it's really worth it, I will travel a long way for a good bite - especially if it gets me away from the crowds. I have 2014 fishing licences for Ontario, Quebec, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Kentucky and Arkansas. I like taking advantage of opportunities to catch different kinds of fish, or enjoy open seasons when things are still closed at home.

Driving 3 to 6 hours one-way for a good steelhead bite is not unusual. Yes, I know I can catch fish 100 yards from my house. But if I can catch a lot more fish somewhere else, and do it without standing elbow to elbow with other people, then I have no problem gassing up the truck.

I've driven to Florida for a weekend of fishing many times. No better way to beat the winter blahs than by catching a bunch of redfish, pompano and small sharks out in the Gulf.

A day fishing is a pretty important thing. I have no problem driving farher if it makes that day even more special.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Great topic.

Like many, 3 hours probably would probably be my limit as well. Now that I am living right by Lake Simcoe, my drive time to it and many lakes has diminshed greatly : )

Jim

Isnt that a great feeling, and the cash we save. :good:

Anything more than 3 hours would have to mean it was pretty unbelievable fishing and if the fishing was that good you'd better believe i'm staying more than a day…..so my answer would be 3 hours.

from the guy who can walk to the end of the yard and catch wallyes and pikes the like of which most of us are willing to drive 3 hours + to find :whistling: 3 hours from your place must put you in serious PB territory Simon :lol:

3.5 for a single day for me.

In the past I used to drive roughly an hour each way to go fishing minimum 2 times a week sometimes I would go 3 or 4. Occasionally a buddy and I would drive 3 hrs one way to fish over Saturday night into Sunday if we both had Monday off. I am lucky in that I am situated about an equal distance between the places I like to go on both Lake Erie and Huron.

This year with having my hours cut in half I am fishing less, with more time than ever to go. The cost of gas, lunches, bait when we can't catch our own, along with the incredibly horrible lack of fish every time I could get out has me fishing maybe twice a month now. Hopefully, the fall chrome season will be better, but I am not counting on it.

I have NEVER seen a year where I have heard, they were just jumping on the pier yesterday you should have been here then... so many times LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Well, for a day trip, We have fished the St. Marys River. 8.5 hr drive, one way.

Have been known to fish St. Clair for a weekend, got blown off the lake on the Saturday, packed up and fished Stoco Lake in Tweed on the Sunday.

4 day weekend on Nipigon. Left on a Wednesday after work, fished the Thursday, Friday and Saturday. After fishing til dark, pack up and start the 14 hour drive home to be back Sunday afternoon, unload toys and load tools for work on the Monday.

Heck I have even done 4 hour drives one way just to go to a 2 hour Muskie Canada Meeting! (Hamiltonn, KW, Sudbury and Ottawa)

No regrets......

(I think I got a fishing problem).....

Cheers, Ron...

I'd rather not drive farther than necessary, but if it's really worth it, I will travel a long way for a good bite - especially if it gets me away from the crowds. I have 2014 fishing licences for Ontario, Quebec, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota, Kentucky and Arkansas. I like taking advantage of opportunities to catch different kinds of fish, or enjoy open seasons when things are still closed at home.

Driving 3 to 6 hours one-way for a good steelhead bite is not unusual. Yes, I know I can catch fish 100 yards from my house. But if I can catch a lot more fish somewhere else, and do it without standing elbow to elbow with other people, then I have no problem gassing up the truck.

I've driven to Florida for a weekend of fishing many times. No better way to beat the winter blahs than by catching a bunch of redfish, pompano and small sharks out in the Gulf.

A day fishing is a pretty important thing. I have no problem driving farher if it makes that day even more special.

It seems you and I are the only nut bars willing to drive a day to fish a day Craig. :lol:

Well, for a day trip, We have fished the St. Marys River. 8.5 hr drive, one way.

I'm with you Ron, I guess my reasons for driving a long way sometimes are 1) I like driving for me its half the fun, 2) I hate jet skis and tubers so also prefer to avoid crowds, 3) I like the Northern atmosphere better than down South, No cottages, few boats, and endless water to explore is also half the fun for me.

I'd move up North if it wasn't for the pesky problem that my job is down South :wallbash:

2-3 hrs but there have been notable exceptions. I have a rule that I must fish for at least as long as the drive. So 2 hrs mean 4 hrs fishing minimum. I prefer to double that so 2 hrs = 8hrs. If I drive a day (10hrs) I'll stay fishing for 3 days (12+ hrs per day).

I need restful sleep to function well. Just 6-7 hrs will do fin for days on end. After a couple days of little quality sleep I'm not at my best, certainly not as fun, talkative, or witty.

This conversation also gets me thinking about fuel efficient but off-road capable vehicles and down-sizing my boat.

I regularly drive 2-3 hours and then another 1-2 hiking or canoeing to get into remote places.

While living in Halifax I would drive 4+ hours to Fredericton for muskie fishing. The trips typically started around 1am and I would get home 23-24 hours later. I did this at least a dozen times and probably half the trips resulted in zero fish caught! That being said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, those big river muskies are awesome!

it's the inverse of the price of gas. i don't do many one day trips anymore due to cost unless it is within 2 hours or so. however, i do more multiple day trips if that makes sense. just takes more planning.