LOTW 2014 Muskie Trip - Chapter 3 for Andrew and Pete

Fisherpete

Lake of the Woods. 14,552 islands. 65,000 miles of shoreline. Incredible raw beauty and wildlife. Spectacular fishing for virtually every species of fish that swims, and of course, monster muskies.

Andrew and I first visited LOTW in 2012, and spent 8 days there chasing muskies. It was a tough learning experience, we lodged in the worst possible area of the lake for muskies, and had to quickly adapt our weedy Kawartha forged skills to the rock filled waters of the far north. Our figure 8 boat side skills were poor at best, a critical skill for catching big fish up there. We caught quite a few pike, and limitless walleye. We raised numerous muskies every day, many of them large - but catching one eluded us until day seven, when I finally pulled a healthy 42” out of a sunken tree. On day eight, with just hours left in the trip, Andrew hooked into the fish that forever hooked us both on LOTW – an incredible 55” behemoth which not surprisingly remains as his PB.

We returned in 2013, hoping that our learnings from the previous year would improve our numbers of fish caught. Our base location was improved, and we had a much better idea of where to find the fish this time around. We also had nine days of fishing scheduled. As the trip approached, we learned that the muskie fishing was hot – but just before we arrived, a massive cold front rolled in, dropping the water temperatures from 80F all the way down to 64F. The muskies were thrown for a loop, but fortunately for us, big pike took advantage of the cooler water temperatures and moved up into typical muskie spots. We caught six pike over 40” during the trip including my PB @ 41”, as well as a bunch of 39”’s and 38”’s. The muskie fishing started out great – Andrew and I had a double header at the very first spot of the trip, ten minutes after we launched the boat – and Andrew caught another nice fish at the second spot. But after that hot start, the muskie fishing became very difficult. We were seeing quite a few fish, but just could not get them to eat. For the trip, we landed eight in total, four each. On the second last day, I landed my second PB of the trip – a super heavy 48” muskie. I had landed one muskie before longer than this one, a Kawarthas 49.5”, but this fish was just in a totally different class with her girth. On the final day of the trip, while stopped for lunch, we decided to jig for walleye for a few moments, and I landed my third PB of the trip, a beautiful 28”. The hooks of LOTW were driven into us even deeper with this trip, and we had already started talking about next year’s trip just hours after returning home.

Shortly after the 2013 trip, I changed careers, as did my wife, and seriously doubted that I would be able to make the trip in 2014. Andrew had a number of major life events happening as well – a new baby on the way, a new house, extremely busy at work… life was looking that it would get in the way this year. But our drive to get up there again was so strong that we figured out a way to make it happen. Fly there instead of drive, and fish three full days guided by one of the top muskie guides around – Darcy Cox of Tank Industries guiding. Condensed, hardcore muskie hunting. As the trip approached, both of us had our doubts that three days on the water would be enough for us, but what unfolded during the three days put those thoughts to rest.

Our plane arrived in Winnipeg on Wednesday afternoon, and we hopped in a rental car and drove the three hours to Kenora. As we pulled in, Andrew recorded a little video…

A

Our hotel was right on the water overlooking LOTW. Darcy was to pick us up from the dock in front of the hotel every day. Can't get any better than that!

Day0c_zps407c46d1.jpg

Day0d_zpscd01917a.jpg

The next morning, we got to the dock a little early, and Andrew snapped this quick pic of me... was supposed to be the 5-0 on my hands representing the fifty inch goal… but this dummy put his hands up backwards haha… uh oh, did this mean I was going to go 0/5??? Time shall tell…

Day0a_zpsc83b4212.jpg

DAY ONE – Getting the Kinks Out

Darcy picked us up from the dock and we headed out. Weather conditions were ideal, water temps good. According to Darcy, decent numbers of fish had been getting caught, but very few giants had been landed. We headed onto his milk run, and soon started seeing fish. I seemed to be raising most of the big ones, but none were very interested in eating. I had a few take a turn on the 8, but no real aggression. I caught a decent pike, and not long after Andrew broke the ice and landed our first LOTW muskie of 2014. Mid 30’s fish.

Day1a_zps54981aea.jpg

Day1b_zps686fd62b.jpg

Day1c_zpsacd01e99.jpg

Glad to have the pressure off of getting that first one, we kept fishing, and in the evening Andrew hooked into his second of the day, a bit bigger than the first and around 38”. The setting sun made for a few incredible shots of this fish!

Day1d_zps6fa9e786.jpg

Day1e_zps23248a6b.jpg

We fished well into the dark, but that was it for the day. Andrew was happy with his two landed, and although I never got a muskie, I felt good because I raised many of the bigger fish of the day and would get my chance.

Edited by Fisherpete

DAY TWO – Elation and Heartbreak

We started a few hours earlier on day two, and once again both started raising fish. Andrew had a savage strike, but didn’t hook her… the lure came back with this large tooth firmly lodged in it!

image2_zps62ab33ee.jpg

Andrew pulled the tooth out and slipped it into his pocket for good luck… and it didn’t take long for that to happen. A crushing strike and great battle later, Andrew’s third fish was in the boat. She was a nice one, 42.5” with solid girth.

Day2a_zps3ea99af9.jpg

Day2b_zps0e740321.jpg

We kept on fishing, and I’m pretty sure I saw Andrew pull the lucky tooth out his pocket and rub it (carefully) just before we fished the next spot. We were working a shoreline between two islands that featured lots of fallen trees and cover, when Andrew’s blade was just hammered at the surface by a very large muskie. This fish was incredibly strong, and Andrew could not budge her from the bottom as she thrashed side to side with massive headshakes. Finally she tired just enough that he raised her up and Darcy slid the net under her. She was a PIG. Long, with incredible girth and a massive head! High fives and whoops all around, and the guesses on the length began… last year when I got my 48”, both Andrew and I were convinced that it was a fifty when in the net because of the huge girth – it makes it difficult to judge their length… so I went with that same number and pronounced her a 48”. Darcy and Andrew both thought she was a 50 for sure. We took the pictures and placed her on the bump board – where she taped out at 49.5”! Just an awesome fish, and as we talked about her afterwards, really didn’t care at all that she was half an inch short of the ‘magical’ mark. We all agreed that a 49.5” with that girth is a far superior fish to a fifty+ with normal weight… in summary, Andrew was simply elated with his catch. He even felt that this fish might have displaced his snub-nosed 55” as his favourite catch of all time… as she was so perfect in all aspects. Here’s the pics. There’s still a few more I will upload and add later.

Day2d_zps05e25776.jpg

Day2e_zpsa5e53760.jpg

Day2f_zpsa028cea7.jpg

Day2g_zps6520f1f0.jpg

Day2h_zps716613d8.jpg

Day2i_zps82d5dea3.jpg

So, after our nerves settled down, we continued on… Andrew was now firmly kicking my butt 4-0 in the muskie department. I finally got on the board, enticing this mid 30’s fish to eat a Handlebarz bucktail on a well-executed figure 8. The pressure was off, and I was pretty pumped to have caught her on an 8 as well – I was starting to have more and more confidence in my boatside manoeuvers.

Day2c_zps9464fa86.jpg

As dusk approached, so did a massive storm front. The three of us were almost giddy with anticipation about the potential of what could happen under these conditions. The clouds were heavy and low, the winds picked up and thunder rolled in the distance. We power fished quickly through big fish spots and then it happened.

I was bringing in my blade in pretty quickly and swung into a routine figure 8, by now the standard with every single cast. At the end of the second turn, a massive fish rocketed up from the depths, and slashed at my lure – hooking herself on the very tip of the snout right in front of Andrew! One massive headshake and she was off. Adrenaline coursing through my veins, I had to laugh even though it hurt. The way she nipped at the lure and was just snout hooked rarely if ever equates to a successful landing. We all looked at each other, a mixture of excitement and disappointment in our faces. There was still plenty of time, and the storm was intensifying, so we kept on going.

At the very next spot, with the skies now opened up and rain spilling down on us, I was again burning in my bucktail, this time across the top of a sunken reef. A huge muskie – even bigger than the last - rose up behind my lure and once again just nipped at it – once again hooking herself in the tip of the snout! One massive headshake and the giant was lost. I actually fell to my knees, and screamed an obscenity at the top of my lungs. The boat was very quiet for the next few moments. The first hooked and lost giant was disappointing yet still very exciting. This one just devastated me. I’ve been hunting for a giant like these for eleven years now, and fish as hard as anyone I know. I wanted it to happen so badly. I continued on, but my heart was not really in it. Moments later, the exact same thing happened to Darcy – a 48 or 49 this time – nipped, hooked, one headshake and off. Unbelievable. All three of us had a chance to land a giant in the same day. We fished on, but post-storm we saw no more fish. We headed in for the night. I was extremely happy that Andrew landed his giant, but now felt quite a bit of pressure to catch a quality fish myself on day 3 – the last chance.

Edited by Fisherpete

DAY THREE – Rapid Retribution

I awoke on day three feeling better about what had happened the night before. I had been raising big fish all trip, and the two giants that I hooked and lost the night before were not because of anything I did – they were just curious, nipping, tasting, whatever – and the fact that it happened to Darcy right after too reaffirmed that. If they ate, I would have caught them.

We headed out under bluebird skies and glass calm water – not your ideal conditions. Once again, Darcy started his run on a big fish spot. It was my turn at the front of the boat, and I cast out the same bucktail that the big fish had nipped at the night before. On what I think was the third cast of the morning, a big muskie rose up and was following my bucktail towards the boat. With Darcy and Andrew watching in anticipation, I switched gears and burst the bucktail forward – she lunged and ate it immediately! I slammed the hooks home, and horsed her to the boat – Darcy slid the net under her, and a huge sense of relief came over me – and the guys. Despite what had transpired the night before, the trip was now a big success. We had both landed a big one. She was not as girthy as Andrew’s beast, but still pretty thick and extremely clean and beautiful. She taped out at 48.5” on the bump board, my second longest muskie ever. Here she is.

Day3a_zpsb0890783.jpg

Day3b_zps7c036fc6.jpg

Day3c_zps83d44c3d.jpg

With all pressure now off, we headed to the second spot of the day. Andrew moved to the front of the boat and I headed to the middle. I continued on with my now lucky bucktail, burning it in fast, and it only took a few casts before another giant rose up and attacked it. I could see that once again this fish was not well hooked, another nip and slash – so I leaned back into the 9’6” XH rod, and cranked my Calcutta TE as hard as I could – using the full strength of the 100 pound braid. I literally dragged this giant to the boat and straight into the net in 10 seconds as she thrashed and tried her best to shake the hooks – which popped out as soon as she was in the net. I screamed with joy, and all three of us admired the giant in front of us. This was by far the biggest muskie of my life, and she was perfect. Beautiful markings and colour, flawless, massive girth from head to tail. She taped out at 51” with a 25” girth, putting her around 40 pounds on most muskie weight calculators. I could barely hold her out for the pictures – you can see the strain in my face in some of the pictures. Enough words, here she is.

Day3d_zps2acf9088.jpg

Day3e_zpsda2caa4a.jpg

Day3f_zps07ae2f95.jpg

Day3g_zps6063aa4e.jpg

Day3h_zps0fcb03c3.jpg

At this point, I could have honestly put the rod down and not fished for the rest of the day. I was so happy. But right after my giant, Darcy and Andrew raising big fish after big fish that were hot on the figure 8’s and a few even getting briefly hooked quickly got me re-motivated haha… I'm a true addict. Darcy soon landed a pair of 29” walleyes on muskie crankbaits! Almost a third the same size! How’s that for incidental catches? Here’s a pic of one of those giant eyes.

Day3z_zps0187cf2b.jpg

Mid afternoon I again hooked into a nice muskie – looked to be a 43” or so. Again, lightly hooked – I horsed her to the boat and she shook off literally inches from the net. I didn’t even care, nothing could bring me down. Andrew soon tied into another – which he got to eat on a full figure 8 – the first time he has successfully had one eat on the 8. Another victory for the trip! She was a solid 41”.

Day3k_zpsea428ad8.jpg

Day3j_zps2da68483.jpg

Day3i_zps60b689b2.jpg

The fishing slowed right down by early afternoon. We kept on trying, raising the occasional fish but it was clear that their mood had changed to negative. They were coming in very low and slow. I caught another decent pike and that was it for the day. We headed in, thanked Darcy for the incredible fishing and packed up – only having a few hours to sleep before heading back to Winnipeg for an early flight home.

I would like to thank Andrew for organizing the trip, and for being an amazing friend and fishing partner. We have now been in the boat for each other’s top 2 muskies, as well as many other species. You rock buddy, LOTW every year until we are too old and feeble to cast muskie lures. We can troll then.

Darcy – you are an outstanding guide – I doubt anyone knows LOTW as well as you do. Thank you so much for putting me on the fish of a lifetime – my first fifty, but certainly not my last J Thanks also for your great coaching and camaraderie over the 3 days. Can’t wait to share a boat with you again next year.

And there you have it folks, chapter three of LOTW concluded. With a very happy ending for all involved, and a little photoshop action to correct the picture below to what it should have been in the first place… the 5-0.

Day0b_zps5322e0cb.jpg

Cheers and tight lines to all our friends on OFC,

Pete & Andrew

Edited by Fisherpete