Help with my Truck Value (trading in or selling)

Steve

Hello All,

I'm purchasing a new truck and I figured I'd trade my current one in. The trade in value was rediculously low, I think lower than pure scrap value.

Now, I understand my truck is not in great shape, but I do believe it is better than what I'm being offered.

Here are the "no bull" details.

The Details:

- 2003 GMC Yukon SLT (fully loaded)

- 355K km's

- 4x4 (rear wheel drive, 4x4 auto, 4x4 high, 4x4 low)

- Never been in an "accident" (but as you can see by the body shots, I have hit things, and been hit, lol. Just no accidents that have been repaired).

The Bad:

- a/c does not work

- rear "climate control" doesn't work

- rear windshield wipers don't work

- passanger backseat door does not open from inside

- vehicle body in rougher shape (but no major rust issues)

- rear window defrost often doesn't work (but sometimes does, lol)

- crack in drivers side, side view mirror, which causes a loud high pitch sound when travelling at speeds greater than 90km.

The Good:

- Engine and Transmission both strong without issues.

- 4x4 works perfectly

- Engine does not burn oil or any other fluids

- Rad works fine, temps never rise while towing, etc

- Only ever towed 2,000lbs or less (I have a 17' tiller boat)

- cruise control works

- Passed drive clean test June 30, 2014 (nothing even close to failing)

- Currently drives me 110KM round trip (daily) Monday through Friday without any issues

- Drives on the highway at 120km (and up to 130km) without any shaking, or front end issues

- Decent tread still left on Michelin LTX M/S tires

Photo's:

zSsfZatL.jpg

rH21m4p1.jpg

WNHjN4H9.jpg

Be honest.

I'm not expecting it to be worth a ton, not by any means. But I do think its worth more than scrap value, based on my above information.

Any other questions, just ask.

If more info comes to mind while I sit here at work, I"ll update the "good" or the "bad" accordingly.

Edited by Steve

Honestly, even tho it is a good truck for you, it is worth little more than scrap for a dealer. They might give you $700-1000 just to get your business, but it will be hauled right to the scrap yard afterward. Try Kijiji, list it for $2500 and take the first $1500 that someone offers you. JMO

DAN

What Dan said. these are dime - a - dozen.

Dont forget, if a dealer offers you 1k, the 1k is taken off the total before taxes you have to pay on the cost of the new(er) vehicle. So they are really offering you 1130 if my math is right.

Yup your best bet is to sell it privately, dealers will always be lower then what you can get privately. I would list it on kijiji and autotrader even here in the classifieds..

Might find a kid looking for a mud truck or a bush truck... They really don't care about body looks as they are gonna beat the crap out of it anyways...

Offer 2200, take 1600?

Won't hurt to try.

G

If you fix what's broke, you may get 3k. If you sell as is you'll likely take $1500-1800 depending on the guy buying. I bought a 12 year old vehicle very similar that was e tested and in much better condition, all options worked with fully functional AC as a tow vehicle in 2007 for 3k. It needed front brakes for safety and I did them myself. I drove it until I bought a new truck in 2010. They are good solid trucks but unless kept in great shape the value really falls. I agree that the dealer is strictly offering to give you anything for it, just to get your business. There is no value in that vehicle to a dealership!

I ran into the same situation with my 96 Jimmy recently Steve. The main components of the truck were working perfectly... most of the accessories, well, not so much.

The dealership offered me $300.00 for it, when I was buying my Ford Flex. Basically, they were going to squish it and that was that. I figured that they would make money even on that aspect, so I decided to donate the truck to Kars for Kids.

They are an organization that supports under-privileged kids and uses the money they get for vehicles for kids camps, books etc..

They take care of everything, including towing my vehicle, at no cost to me. Once the vehicle is processed, they send you a tax receipt for $300.00.

Just thought I'd pass that along!

BTW - The Kidney Foundation will do the same thing... I actually called them first, but no one answered the phone, so Kars for Kids it was!

HH

Steve, haldimand motors is brutal, they normally sell high mileage ex rental vehicles, or off lease cars... At a premium!

I would strong suggest you look elsewhere..

But everyone has an opinion...

G

I love their no haggle policy as well. Wouldn't catch me buying a car there.

If they offered you $300.00, they will be sending it to auction. They will not offer you much more because they are concnerned at what it will bring.

IMO, that is basically a slap in the face. $1500.00 is what I would be looking for as is. I would not take a penny less.

There are always people looking for something like this so it shouldn't take long to sell.

Good luck!

My buddy just tried to sell his 03 chev 2500 for a while that had around 330km on it. He had a few calls but no takers and eventually just sold it for $1000 anyways just to get it out of the driveway.

If you go the kijiji route it may take a while to unload it.

We just bought a new truck and gave in a very similar car. We traded in 04 GMC ENVOY XL fully loaded as well pretty much in same condition as yours and we got $500 from headship ford dealer. Figured its best to just get it outta the driveway.

thanks for the info all....

the vehicle I'm buying was not a rental.

single owner. four years old.

2010 Suburban.

I've been looking for a vehicle since March and have kept my eye on prices for Yukon's, Tahoe's, and Suburbans.

The price I paid for the vehicle is right .... was it dirt cheap - nope....but reviewing autotrader every day for five months has at least given me an idea of market value's, and it was a fair value.

Steve, then that's all that matters. That you are happy with the deal.

I was just giving you my opinion and it means little lol!

I just picked up a new vehicle myself, given the new addition to my family.

Wish you all the best with your new boat puller :)

G

The correct sale price for any thing is what you are willing to take and what someone is willing to pay. The dealer gave you what they are willing to pay and it is to low. Find another buyer is your next option.

Art

LOL

Was thinking of going back to a truck so,I dabbled a bit to see what was out there. Came across what I was looking for.

Truck was 26G 28g km,plus all the tax crap.

I had bought my 2011 SXT Avenger 1.5 years ago for 15G, 20g km on it,,plus the tax crap.

I told them it came with brand new Yokahoma,s on factory rims ,PLUS 2 year winter tires and rims.

So heres the deal

32G full in for the truck

8G trade in for my Avenger..

That didnt fly with me.

Yours is high km and dingoed up. It,s a part out truck IMO. Theres no way any scrap yard would just squeeze that puppy. it,s worth more then 300 bucks. Alot more.

Kijiji. Someone will pay you more than 300 for it. You should be able to get 1000-1500 for it. Don't expect much more. The dealer does not want it, hence the low ball offer, by the time they do the paperwork send it to auction etc.... it is not worth it to them. Sell it privately, it may take some time but a grand in your pocket is worth it.

Steve, haldimand motors is brutal, they normally sell high mileage ex rental vehicles, or off lease cars... At a premium!

I would strong suggest you look elsewhere..

But everyone has an opinion...

G

I will share a little experience I had with Haldimand Motors. 3 years ago I bought an 08 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer from them. The price was on average 2500 cheaper then any dealer in the London area for the exact same vehicle,year and mileage. When we made the deal the truck was uncertifed but price was agreed on certified. I thought the tires looked to be iffy at best for safety. When we returned 4 days later to pick it up it had 4 brand new Cooper CS4 tires on it and they replaced the brakes all round. It came with a 30 day in house warranty. On day 32 the battery died when we were on holidays camping near North Bay. We decided to call them knowing it was over 30 days. They told us to buy anty battery we wanted for it and send them the bill. Off to the Ford dealer in North Bay and a 175 dollar battery. Mailed them the bill and a cheque was waiting in mail box when we got home 2 weeks later. Then to top it off 4 weeks after that the rad broke (useless plastic rads),my wife decided to call them anyways,they agreed to pick up the bill of 700 for a new ford dealer rad. Hpw many dealers would of done this,I bet very few.

The truck has been flawless since. I would buy another vehicle off them anytime and have pointed numerous friends to them since. And yes it was a lease return ,I would never buy a rental.

sorry just had to share my experience with them since they were mentioned in this thread.

Like some of the other's have said you should be able to get 1000 -1500.00 out of it. About 2 years ago I picked up a 99 Silverado 2 wheel drive that was in a wreck and wrote off for 800.00. I wanted the fuel injected engine and computer controls for my 1950 Chevy Styleline 2 door sedan. The auto wreckers were asking 1500.00 - 2000.00 for motor, trans and the electronics to make it run. There's a lot of people out there now doing these engine conversions on their classic rides; I've done three now. To bad it wasn't a 2 wheel drive or I'd be interested in it for one of my customer's project car.

Point being someone may want the truck for its parts to rebuild another vehicle?

Dan.