Bayliner Element on Bay of Quinte

DarrenEm

Hey guys,

This is my first post here... I'm desperately trying to get back into fishing, and thinking of buying a boat in the near future. The new Bayliner Element (16 footer) caught my eye, as it seems like it is good value and looks like it will be a good fit for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 small kids). This will be my first boat, and I'm wondering if this would be an alright size for the Bay of Quinte (Trenton/Belleville).

I'd also like to occasionally trailer to provincial parks and camp sites on smaller lakes.

What do you guys think?

I've got a ton of questions to ask, as I'm new to the area and will likely be limited to shore fishing until I buy the boat next spring.

Darren,

I dot think I would be taking a 16 foot boat on BOQ but I have never been on it so I will leave someone else to expand on that opinion. That boat does look nice but I wouldn't call it a fishing boat.

My suggestion is to look at what type of fishing you are going to be trying to get into. If you only plan on fishing for panfish with a hook and sinker, I could see this working quite well. If you plan on fishing for bigger fish where you will be standing and making multiple casts a day, I don't think this boat is for you. The gunnels are pretty high and fishing off of the bow cushions tends to turn a lot of people off. If they are removable, that is a different story.

I bass fish so this boat would not work very well for me. The tunnels all away around are too deep for pitching and I don't really see a good place to mount a trolling motor.

Welcome to the board and congrats on looking for your first boat. Use the search function here as there are many posts on what to look for and what brands are good.

Max hp is your friend and aluminum is more forgiving that fibreglass is what I will throw in here though.

Good luck!

Thank's for the input. I realize it is not a purpose built fishing boat but, with the fishing package it should do? It adds "MotorGuide Trolling Motor, Lowrance X-4 Fish Finder, Bow Casting Platform & Seat, Live Well under Portside Seat".

Realistically, I would spend a fair bit of time on the water cruising/swimming/etc when the family is aboard, but I'd like to do some solo fishing otherwise.

I've never fished from a bass boat/real fishing boat, however I've fished from bowriders, 12/14 foot basic aluminums, pontoon boats, inflatables and a 28 ft cruiser. I was hoping that since I've never gotten used to fishing with "fishing comforts", I would be fine on the Element. Wrong??

Again, I'm mostly interested on how a 16 ft boat does on the Bay of Quinte, regardless of which boat I choose.

I had a good read about this boat. It seems pretty attractive and well priced. However its a cottage boat with a relatively flat bottomed hull,and is not designed for big water, or less than ideal conditons . Probably great on smaller lakes, and no doubt fine on quinte in ideal conditions. I have been on quinte and many other big waters in 14 footers, but as always you have to have a close eye on weather and beat it if things start to look dodgy! There is a huge difference between 16 foot boats, and what their hulls are designed for. One purpose built with a deep hull for bigger water, will get you through nicely in rough seas when one built for cruising, or shallow water applications with a flat bottom for stability will beat the hell out of you in rough conditions, or could possibly get you into trouble. One thing it is not, is a fishing boat! With boats you have to decide if your a fisherman or a recreational boater first and foremost, and let that guide your decision. If your a fisherman, you won't be happy with that boat, and there are better compromise designs available! Good luck.

Edited by porkpie

Again, I'm mostly interested on how a 16 ft boat does on the Bay of Quinte, regardless of which boat I choose.

Any decent 16'er will do just fine on Quinte, but like any large body of water, pay attention to the weather and you'll be good. I fished Quinte for years in a 16 and my brother fished it for probably 20 years in a 12' tinnie.

A boat is a platform you can move around the water, that wouldn't be my first choice for a fishing boat but it may keep the family happy.

What Lew said also, we went on Lake Erie all the time in small boats, but were always aware of weather conditions.

16fter with 2 adults and 2 kids will be very tight. I did it with a 17ft for a season but one kid was a baby and in the car seat (with PFD) most of the time and we only cruised, no fishing. You will be hard pressed to bring any fishing gear and do fishing on the boat with 4.

For just cruising I would say 18ft would be minimum size for 4. Bring all the gear for the kids, food etc and room for fishing gear and you will be able to move around each other no problem.

For BOQ it is not nearly as rough as the big lake but you will still definitely want a boat with a deep V type hull. This will give you stability in the water in those choppy days and as many in that area know boat safety is very key. Two experienced anglers have died in the last year being out in smaller boats when the weather came up quickly on them. Another sank a boat warrantied to be unsinkable.

Not trying to scare you, but safety is key and you do not want to be out with your whole family and get into a sketchy spot.

Some things to think about

1) How much will you trailer the boat? Will you ever get a slip?

2) How far will you trailer?

3) Will you ever head to the big lake? Salmon, etc. Primetime area for fishing in the summer and great family adventure

4) Will you ever be fishing early and late in the seasons when water is very cold?

For this type of water I personally would recommend around 20ft boat. As I said, I used to run a 17ft and have gone up to a 23ft center console. It isn't ideal necessarily for family outings but it is mainly for fishing. I am currently working on some additions that will make it more family friendly. But we do go out as a family regularly in it (2 adults, 2 kids) and take other familes with us (4 adults, 6 kids sometimes). It is a great time but I do not trailer the boat, I keep it in the water from ice out to December. I picked it up from thehulltruth.com forum. This is the best place to find big water boats in my opinion. Best pricing, catch is you have to import it from the US (very simple, can help if you want). Other more local spots for big water boats is Lake Ontario United forum.

Good luck, PM if you would like more specific info to this area.

You say new, new to you or new out of the showroom. 16' is too small for a family of 2 adults and 2 small kids. It won't be long before those 2 small kids start hogging space, really fast.

Bayliner is an entry level boat. Not many bells and whistles. I don't see a pic of it here but have an idea what it looks like. My first boat that I bought new was a 19' Bayliner Cierra in 89', too small for cruising and NFG for fishing .Actually came into possession of a Cierra with a Merc this past winter on a trade deal. It is available, cheap. PM me if interested. I'm talking $2500.00 with trailer. Not a ding or bruise on the hull, interior is nice too.

Beware if it's used I must add, as an entry level boat buyers would be entry level boaters like yourself and I was in 89. Because my inexperience then I beat the bejeezus out of it in 3 seasons. If used it may have a Force I/O, run away if it is.

Quinte? Like every other rig it depends on what you want to fish for and how as well as weather conditions. At 16 feet I think you will be disappointed with it's versatility.

There isn't any real all purpose boat out there in my opine.

A 16ft boat on Quinte can be just fine or it could be one of the most dangerous things to happen in your life.

Quinte has current and lots of it. Wind direction plays a major role in determining just how bad it can get. I've seen it like pi$$ on a plate in the morning and six footers by mid day.

Just be aware and you should be fine. Stop paying attention and you could end up in serious trouble.

HH

DarrenEm, I have had a trailer on Big Bay for 7 years now. I ran a 15.5 ft StarCraft. This year I have stepped up to a 19 ft Smokercraft. You will find in the morning the water is nice and calm, but in the afternoon when the wind starts the 3 to 4 ft waves are no fun. So it depends where you will be launching and which way the wind is blowing.

Just keep an eye on the water. When the waves start to build, head in. My personal opinion.

Regards

Size of the boat really doesn't matter a whole lot. Common sense and a keen eye on the weather will play the biggest role if you're out there fishing or not. We fished all that big water in our old 16ft Smokercraft (Along with Lake O, Superior, you name it)... Some days it's perfectly fine, some days you just shouldn't be out there.

If its not safe in a 16ft boat, you don't want to be out there in any sized boat. Trust me.

I've ran my 16fter all over quinte fishing and hunting. Never had an issue, but I do have a lot of experience on teh water, and keep a CLOSE eye on the weather.

I also have a family of 4, and a 100lb lab, and we've managed to fish and hunt from my boat with lots of room to spare, however my boat is a wide open tiller, so LOTS of room. The bayliner will be more comfortable, but also more cramped for space.

S.

Take a look at the new Larson lineup. I seen one that fished a bass series with us and it was a great mix of a cottage boat and a fishing boat. Carpets all remove casting deck that adjusts. Really sweet rig and looked economical. It had a 150 merc 4 stroker on it. Around the 17 to 18 foot mark. I don't know what the new Bayliners are like but the old ones were sketchy on a good day.

16fter with 2 adults and 2 kids will be very tight. I did it with a 17ft for a season but one kid was a baby and in the car seat (with PFD) most of the time and we only cruised, no fishing. You will be hard pressed to bring any fishing gear and do fishing on the boat with 4.

For just cruising I would say 18ft would be minimum size for 4. Bring all the gear for the kids, food etc and room for fishing gear and you will be able to move around each other no problem.

For BOQ it is not nearly as rough as the big lake but you will still definitely want a boat with a deep V type hull. This will give you stability in the water in those choppy days and as many in that area know boat safety is very key. Two experienced anglers have died in the last year being out in smaller boats when the weather came up quickly on them. Another sank a boat warrantied to be unsinkable.

Not trying to scare you, but safety is key and you do not want to be out with your whole family and get into a sketchy spot.

Some things to think about

1) How much will you trailer the boat? Will you ever get a slip?

2) How far will you trailer?

3) Will you ever head to the big lake? Salmon, etc. Primetime area for fishing in the summer and great family adventure

4) Will you ever be fishing early and late in the seasons when water is very cold?

For this type of water I personally would recommend around 20ft boat. As I said, I used to run a 17ft and have gone up to a 23ft center console. It isn't ideal necessarily for family outings but it is mainly for fishing. I am currently working on some additions that will make it more family friendly. But we do go out as a family regularly in it (2 adults, 2 kids) and take other familes with us (4 adults, 6 kids sometimes). It is a great time but I do not trailer the boat, I keep it in the water from ice out to December. I picked it up from thehulltruth.com forum. This is the best place to find big water boats in my opinion. Best pricing, catch is you have to import it from the US (very simple, can help if you want). Other more local spots for big water boats is Lake Ontario United forum.

Good luck, PM if you would like more specific info to this area.

Appreciate the response! I grew up on lake Wanapitei in Sudbury and have been in some rough weather in an 18 footer, and the waves seemed to have come out of no where. This was enough to "scare" my dad into a 28 foot cruiser.

1) How much will you trailer the boat? Will you ever get a slip? - I'd like to have the option of trailering within a few hours drve max with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door 4x4). Also, I would love the convenience of a slip, as I can see myself using the boat several times/week for a few hours, whenever I can get some time in. If anyone can shed some light on avg price/availability for the area, that would be great. I work on base, so the Trenton Yacht Club would be amazing.

I don't want to start too big, and then not be able to afford to use the boat. I also want to gain some experience before rushing into something big.

3) Will you ever head to the big lake? Salmon, etc. Primetime area for fishing in the summer and great family adventure. I'd love to, once I feel experienced enough. I don't plan on rushing into anything, and I'll have enough to do/explore initially anyway.

4) Will you ever be fishing early and late in the seasons when water is very cold? Hopefully, Yes.

These are all questions I've been asking myself, and I've since been exploring the idea of a new Bayliner 175 I/O. Seems to have a decent layout with enough room for us, a fair amount of power, and what I think would be a better hull for my use. Possibly a decent size/weight for trailering as well?

Also has a fishing package available.

Thoughts?

You guys rock, thanks for all the feedback so far...

Edited by DarrenEm

Bayliner would likley be my last choice in a boat, especially a fishing boat. That said i do understand budgets, but suggest if you're looking at new you may want to look at the 17' Larson. larson also offers a beautiful new 18' hull that is getting a lot of attention. These are glass boats made using the latest technology which they describe on their website, Also, in tin, a 17 or 18' Tracker. Tracker has a poor rep but they have made good strides over the last couple years. If you go with an outboard resist the temptation to underpower. You can usually get away with 75% of the max recommended HP, but any more and you'll sacrifice performance, trade-in, and even to some degree safety. Best of luck in your search.

I second doubleheader's thoughts.

I was going to right something similar yesterday but thought it was too harsh...

I beleive Bayliner looks closer at asthetics that quality aand that is why I would look at any other glass boat before them. Fit and finish on a larson or a Searay are way better. My dad has a Tahoe (Tracker Marine) which is also quite nice. It is a 216 deckboat with a 190hp I/O and it was designed as a fish and ski boat. It works better as a ski/cruiser than a fishing boat but it is set up quite well regardless. If you want to look at Tahoe, they do not make this model anymore but you could look at the 195i deckboat or the Q41 FS.