How should I handle this?

Big Cliff

I had an incident a few years ago and i was at fault. From a small 6" scratch on a old sunfire, i received a $1200 bill. Talked to my insurance company without filing a claim, and i was told that i can choose 3 shops (certified) and she had to pick one of them for the repair... It ended up costing me just under $500. And ofcourse she picked the most expensive quote and it was the furthest from her home.

Edited by Angler management

Boy, I have to tell you I really appreciate all the responses and FishnNautographs, thank you for your professional take on all of this!

I think I am going to send them a letter asking for the name of their insurance company and policy number without providing any other information or admitting any responsibility. At least that way I will be able to confirm if they even have insurance which I sort of suspect they do not just by the way they reacted at the time. The fact that it even took them 6 weeks to get a quote doesn't sit well with me.

Also, the person driving the car wasn't the owner of the car, again something fishy here, she owned the car, he was doing the driving and he was the one that didn't seem to want the police or insurance involved.

I'll let you know how this all plays out!!!

Cliff, for that kind of money, involve your insurance company. At worst, it goes as a claim against your policy and most ins cos give you a freebie these days. 1800 is ridiculous. A couple of hundred bucks is not too bad, it's a lesson learned, that kind of money is pure horse s....t. more than likely, they either did not have insurance or probably no drivers licence. Having spent a morning in a northern court a few months ago to fight a Bull ticket (the officer buckled and failed to provide evidence, score one for the little guy against sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane). 3/4s of the cases involved people with suspended or no licences. I think they are trying to hustle an older gentleman here.

Cliff, Ontario is a no fault jurisdiction, the other driver is not entitled to a settlement from either you or your insurance company.

He is obligated to submit the police report and a claim to his own insurance company they then pay for the repair and settle with your insurance company at the end of the fiscal year .

You made a fair offer to him just because you are a decent guy, and now he is trying to stick you.

Had he been a reasonable person, this would have been taken care of by now, but his attempt at fraud relieves you from any moral obligation that you may feel.

Save the money and don't feel bad about it.

Jim

Been in your shoes, first of all, I say always call the cops , even if it seems minor let the cop tell you that and he'll still have to do a report. No report, it's 50/50 in a parking lot, since you were honest and sincere and he a dishonest jackass tell him your damages are $2000 and you will pay for your own car and he pay for his own. Don't feel guilty and carry on, he was probably sitting there waiting for you to hit him so he can scam you,he probably doesn't even have a job!

As others have said, let the insurance companies deal with it. Worst you'll have to do is pay his deductible, if that (your insurance co. may pay it for you)! They'll determine how much his car is worth and if less than deductible, he'll be SOL.

Private property,.... others have advised is no fault land to insurance companies..

I know this might not sit too well with you but I would not provide partial payment.

Someone who takes so long to come back with such a high estimate is not trying to work with you but take advantage.

I always chuckle when parking at a store and watch how ppl will do whatever they can to get as close of a spot to the door as they can. I generally go to the side or rear where there is not as much activity. Always drive through or back into a spot so you are facing out for the exit. This will help avoid almost all the potential of an accident which is much higher when backing up a previously parked car.

Have to agree with Renegade 67 . I once witnessed an accident in the Mac's Milk parking lot and found the owner of the damaged vehicle (dented door). In turn she phoned the law; their reply was that the accident happened on private property. Sorry can't help you.

Smells like a scam for sure. I would not pay a cent. Let time take its course. Wear him down by letting him have to contact you over a period of time until he comes up with a MUCH more reasonable offer or simply gives up.

Just be careful Cliff, go through insurance. I had a woman completely cave in my driver side door, she only had a rub mark on her NEW BMW bumper. We exchanged info, I told her not to worry about it. I was going to scrapping the car soon. I popped a door on from the wreckers and never thought about it again. A few months later when I got a new to me car and went to switch over insurance, they notified me that I was being charged with failure to remain at an accident. She was nice enough to go to a collision reporting centre to report it and I was never notified. That act of kindness haunted me $$$$wise for years.

Edited by paul_614

Wow, all these replies. Do we not have one car insurance agent as a member? Cliff for peace of mind speak to your ins. rep. Not as a claim but for general info.

Other then that, I agree, they are attempting to scam you.

Good luck.

Regards

Whether the accident happened on private property or not is irrelevant. The fact you were backing out of a parking spot means you would be considered 100% at fault. Just tell him you can't afford $1800 and he'll have to go through his own insurance company. If he has no insurance he's pooched. If he does, they'll make him get legitimate estimates and/or have the vehicle inspected. In either case, neither you nor your insurance company will pay a dime for this.

And the 48 hours to report an accident is to the Collision Reporting Centre, has nothing to do with insurance.

Somebody hit me in a parking lot last year boxing day. They were at fault, and their insurance company paid the full $6000 I didnt pay anything, at it was surprisingly simple. I went to damage reporting center, they called it as I wasnt at fault end of story.

$1800 seems like a super high end quote from a very established play ie 427 auto collision etc. Youd be surprised at what something can cost, sounds like hes hitting you high so he can make you feel like you get a deal when he says he'll take $1000 cash.

I say, send him to get 2 more quotes, waste his time and say "forget it, insurance" at the end....or pull up in a better condition 2000 civic you bought for $1500 with lower kms and try and get him to accidentally hit it.

Sounds like a bad deal youre involved with, all the best. I hate people like him.

I would say call your lawyer and ask his/her's advice, most phone consultations are free, for a few simple questions.

When you mail your letter to this person, make mention that you've be in touch with your lawyer and you're following their advice.

If this is a scam; you'll likely never hear from them again.

Dan.

Edited by DanD