Ouch! Propane Heating Cost in the Kawartha's

manjo39

They just said on the news that propane will probly be $1.05 to $1.10 per liter very soon that it has not peaked in price yet !!!! And the sinking dollar and high demand is making it happen !!!! Not gonna get any better either just look at electricity prices as well .... It sucks

Yep they're propagating a propane shortage...

.. still trade you for my oil fill today, last filled Dec 30th, at $838.63 and I've also burnt 2 full face cords of oak and maple in the same time frame as well. The joys of having to keep the house at 23.5C so Jen's comfy.

I've burned more wood already than I burned all last winter. Had to bring two more BUSH cords into the wood shed this week. I hope that's enough!! If I cound my hours of cutting/splitting/stacking firewood, I'm probably further behind than guys running oil/propane.

S.

propane shortage? Next thing you know we'll be going to war with the U.S. .... LOL

I hear ya on the wood, I think by the end of Feb I could be out.

Lots of homes in Ontario have reported going through a pile more fuel and wood than normal.

Yep they're propagating a propane shortage...

.. still trade you for my oil fill today, last filled Dec 30th, at $838.63 and I've also burnt 2 full face cords of oak and maple in the same time frame as well. The joys of having to keep the house at 23.5C so Jen's comfy.

I keep it a balmy 16.5C @ my place.

Would hate to see how much it would cost to keep it that warm. ;)

We are cheaper down here if you prepay under contract it is 1.99 a gallon. Don't bother with a heat pump they are for temperatures above 34 F after that they are junk IMHO.

Art

Not sure what type of heat pump you have experience with but mine was great cooled the air in the summer and provided heat in the shoulder seasons and still provided heat down to minus 20 celsius.

The great thing that I found is that in the shoulder seasons it provided great efficiency of 4 to 1 and of course as the temp drops so does the efficiency. Best money I ever spent.

Then I guess I can't grumble, $176 for the last 2 months on NG for furnace, hot water, dryer and back yard garage. We had the exterior of the house resided with an extra 1 inch foam sheet underneath. Added about another 8-10 inches of blown in insulation in the attic too.

Keep it a 'Balmy' 17 here as well--Fuel oil in a 2500 square foot living space was running us approx $3K a year-albeit not a terribily well insulated century home

Converted to high efficiency gas--halfed the cost roughly

Shop has a wood burning stove and supplemental heating when required

It's a damn cold winter on the south shores of Lake Simcoe--Good for making ICE :good:

Paul

www.perchinforms.com

Stay Warm All

My NG bill will probably be about 150 this month. Since I replaced my windows a few yers ago, I noticed a big drop in my gas bill. Hydro is a different story. Stay warm folks. This is a real winter. We have had it easy for a long time. I hope all of you heating with wood have enough. My last few dry logs went into the fireplace tonight. I have almost a full cord of mixed hardwood from the ice storm that is nice and wet and has to wait till next winter. I'm going by a buddies place tomorrow to pick up some dry applewood. Never burned that before. It is supposed to be pretty good.

. I have almost a full cord of mixed hardwood from the ice storm that is nice and wet and has to wait till next winter. I'm going by a buddies place tomorrow to pick up some dry applewood. Never burned that before. It is supposed to be pretty good.

Fruitwood is nice wood, but it needs1 1/2 to 2 years to dry proper.

Actually, the applewood I am getting is about 3 years old. He has some oak in there too so yippee!!! Free firewood is always good.

Even better.

I had to clear a section of orchard a number of years back. Wound up with 40 facecords of fruitwoods sitting in my yard for 2 years

The cost for fuel is brutal these days. 25 years ago, electric heat was the way to go, 10 years ago, oil was very cheap (40 cents/ltr, now 1.10), propane a few years ago and even that has skyrocketed. This is why we decided to close the cottage for the winter. It has electric baseboards and a woodstove, it is ok when you are burning wood but when the baseboards are going, the meter spins outrageously fast. Our neighbours laid in 3 bushcords of firewood in the fall to help defray the cost of oil in their furnace, they are almost 3/4 the way through their firewood already. stay warm folks and hopefully we all have a few bucks stashed under our old playboy mags like Lew to help pay for the added cost of fuel during this 1970's type winter.

Bigbuuck... just pull the main and don't worry about the place or the chance squirrels might short a wire out while you're absent. Decide to go up for the weekend.. just throw the main back in and the place will be up to heat in under 4 hours, less if you throw a few logs in the fire. What we do in Temagami... and it was comfy with slippers in 3 hours on New Years Eve when it was -32C outside! Leave.. pull the main and go home!

Oh.. do you have a '81 with Shannon Tweed as a natural women?

Edited by irishfield