I like it,electric augar

misfish

It looks great.. I can see a little torque in the drill. I wonder if one of those handles that are on a hammer drill would eliminate that?

It,s an old beat up drill. A new one will be better. Theres not that much torque really. Just the first time I did it and didnt know what to expect. It goes down really easy.

Edited by Misfish

doing what might I ask? either a severely defective unit or severely misused, I got mine well over a year ago, maybe two shortly after they first came out and have had 0 issues and I use it for hammer drilling on a daily basis from sizes 1/4" - 3/4" and have never had it falter

doing what might I ask? either a severely defective unit or severely misused, I got mine well over a year ago, maybe two shortly after they first came out and have had 0 issues and I use it for hammer drilling on a daily basis from sizes 1/4" - 3/4" and have never had it falter

The drill was used just a couple times and was new, started smoking after a few holes and stopped working. There was no need to push on the drill and there was no misuse. I own tons of dewalt tools in 12v, 18v and 20v. And i have never had problems with them, which is why i buy them. However i have not used them in -20C temps to drill holes in ice before. Clearly that is not what are intended for.

Very good work Sir. The first time I saw the electric drill auger set up was on WFN a few years ago and never got off my lazy but to make one up myself. Haven't needed one either because ice around here has been very rare the past few years or longer.

I was concerned with the torque if the auger got hung up. Even a 18 volt can give you a jolt drilling through doug fir with a 1" bit.

Keep the drill and batteries warm and you should be good for the day.

I'll take 2. If they work I'll take 100. If the price is right. Then I'll take 1000. See you on Dragon's Den. A local guy hit it big with a gizmo that attached to a cordless to roll up the straps on big rig trailers. He got the investment from one of the Dragon's.

If you are taking orders for that adaptor with the plate, I'll take one! I just started using my drill this winter and love it but am a little concerned about loosing the auger down a hole. Thought about the rope idea but how would you stop it from catching on the auger and winding the rope around the auger. A slip ring might work but you'd have to make sure the rope didn't catch on the wing nut, that plate is by far the best idea! Pattent it!

BTW, 8" hole vs 6" hole = a big differance in the number of holes you can drill on one charge. You will only get about 1/3 as many 8" holes through the same thickness of ice as you will 6" holes.

You and about another 30 guys Bill.LOL

I decided to make another,but with a 16 inch extention. Save on the bending over. .Every thing is press fitted and welded. The shaft is .125 wall galvinized conduit. The drill chuck connector is made from a piece of allen key.

003_zps4991526f.jpg

004_zps06a03c1f.jpg

A pic of the one from yesterday.

This is the connecting shaft.

007_zpscd387a92.jpg

Do you think Brian it would work for a 8".I've used a 6" and could auger holes one after another.8",is like night and day different.I'm thinking the load might be to much for a couple holes.

Dave I was asked this on another board. If someone has a new finbor 3 8 inch,I would try it. They cut with little effort,so ya,maybe less holes due to more ice being cut. Dont forget,I was not pushing on the drill. The augar was doing all the work.

Edited by Misfish

I used my Dewalt to drill 8" holes through about 16" of ice and got 4 holes per battery.

Brian I would take ont of those with the extension and one without, just let me know how much,!

That's what I was thinking Cliff,2" makes a big difference.lol. :tease:

Edited by davey buoy