Crazy drivers in the snow.

npt1

Hi All,

I was driving to the station to day in St. David's and could not

believe the way motorists drive like it was a spring day.

Saw 2 cars in the ditch after they took out the fence that separates QEW from service road.

Another oncoming car began doing 360 s, lucky for me we were on a 2 lane road by this time.

He spun around 3 times, went back into his own lane, went into the ditch backwards and his

headlights lit up the dark sky overhead.

What is it with these idiots not slowing down for the road conditions????

No wonder we all pay such outrageous insurance rates!!!!

How was your drive today?????????

Npt1

My drive was great heading down highway 6 for night shift, until dummy that was doing 40kph in the outside lane towing a trailer decided that he would suddenly veer into my lane while I was trying to pass him at a very reasonable for conditions 70kph after having driven behind him for 10 minutes. Fortunately I was able to easily avoid him. Not all accidents are caused by excess speed. Some are caused by people's paralysis and inability to drive in poor conditions. If this is how you drive when the roads get bad, then stay home!

You have to remember that we have been conditioned to believe that if we put winter tires on our car AND have 4 wheel drive and have traction control we can drive as FAST as we want.Yeah right,I haven't been in the ditch since 1964 and I was in a winter car rally in Quebec!!!!!! Went from Oshawa to Richmond Hill on saturday and could not believe the idiots out there.

vance

What you see when you don't have a videocam. Putting along at work tonight on the snowmobile alongside the fenceline, I see a car coming in the distance, kinda weavingn a bit, I stop. As the car gets closer, I can see the head of the driver is down, (texting shall we guess), and it keeps coming and coming into the curve and then PLOOF into the snowbank. Even during the PLOOF into the snowbank, she didn't break her fixation from the phone or ipad ipod whatever the jeeze she was cranking on. Window rolls down, I ask are you okay, oh like yaaa. You have a phone I ask and up pops the hand with the phone.....dizzy, dizzy, dizzy. Another 50 feet and she would have kissed a major hydro pole and I be stuck doing F/A and having to write a report.

It can sure be scary out there. Not always younger drivers but it came to my attention this past bit of weather that many kids here in southern On have never driven in these conditions as we really haven't had snow to speak of for years.

One kid told me they wouldn't put speedometers on cars that read 220KPH if the car can't go that fast. I know it will never happen but road tests should also be done on snow and ice, especially in northern North America. Testing should be done on a road for those over 80, not just a written test.

Drivers here are no better or worse than other provinces or states, now Europe is different. Want a thrill drive in Europe. In Italy you pull the sideview mirrors in while negotiating mountain roads, so you don't lose one when you hit the other guys mirror, then if you beep the horn before taking a curve at 140 you have the right of way!!!

Driving in the Middle East and India is absolute insanity. Lines painted on roads are a suggestion only, turn signal levers are to hang a hat on, the turn signal lights are smashed anyway.

The best drivers ever are in Finland. Worse India.

From watching drivers education cars.. .. they go right along with expecting teachers (no disrespect) to teach your kids all of life's little mysteries! Sorry but that's your job!

First thing I taught my kids... slow before the corner.. foot totally OFF the brake before the turn.. and if that doesn't work.. that's what the gas pedal is for! Three kids and they have never been in the ditch and we have a notorious S turn that claims hundreds every winter on the way to our place.

Part 2.. NEVER sit at a stop sign when someone puts their right signal light on..... because they didn't have me train them on winter driving skills. They're gonna smack right into your drivers door. Get moving...and now! That one has paid off many times thank god!

I'm getting very good at spotting the accidents looking for a place to happen. Must have been a good dozen in the ditches lining the QEW from Grimsby to St Kitts Sunday morning, and a few more this morning.

The ones doing 140k when they hit the grease patch. The guys riding the brakes in the snow. Braking while changing lanes on the highway. Especially love the fools playing chicken with a loaded rig.

Edited by bigugli

After China, Alberta had the most insane drivers I've ever seen (Italians are just fast). Driving from Edmonton to Calgary on Hwy 2 one winter was eye opening. Super slick roads with glare all over, (cars in ditches EVERYWHERE) and people are bombing along at 120+. I thought I had a heavy foot but in these conditions I was blown away by the other drivers. Just shook my head and watched the parade as I continued on.

i'm sorry, but sometimes i think the opposite.

took me two hours to get into the office this morning. hamilton to erin mills (western most section of mississauga).

so many drivers have no idea how to drive in a little slush.....driving 40km white knuckled....

i'm not saying to drive 120 on the highway, but when all your dealing with is slush, nothing wrong with doing 60km - 70km....

my 4 wheel drive yukon just putted my way into work......

drive should not go from 45 minutes to 2 hours just cause an inch of slush.

I counted 9 cars in the ditch between Barrie an Orr lake last week during the storm...

I'm going 40. The three people ahead of y have their 4 way flashers on... And there are transport trucks playing NASCAR, passin us going 90....

hwy 9 (or 109 if you prefer) between orangeville and arthur has been a daily mess so far this winter. i think because of it's relative flatness and being a straight shot some people get lulled into a false sense of security and drive waaay to fast for the conditions. we get some big drifts because there's nothing to stop the wind from blowing across the fields and patches of ice are all too common.

i wondered why my ins. rate actually went up when i moved here last summer and now i see why!!

I recently moved to the country, Cowansville, and drive 100 km each way to work. I take the infamous Hwy 10, and it is known for its long, flat, windy sections. I have seen some real idiots on this road, but relatively few accidents. We have mandatory snow tires here, and this may explain the few accidents, but it makes it a scary drive for old farts like me :wacko: I have seen movement in my rear view at nite. Couldn't see headlites, but when I moved over a few inches, there they were. :wallbash:

hwy 9 (or 109 if you prefer) between orangeville and arthur has been a daily mess so far this winter. i think because of it's relative flatness and being a straight shot some people get lulled into a false sense of security and drive waaay to fast for the conditions. we get some big drifts because there's nothing to stop the wind from blowing across the fields and patches of ice are all too common.

i wondered why my ins. rate actually went up when i moved here last summer and now i see why!!

That flat stretch has been a mess as far back as I remember. They used to close it at least once a month in winter. I've spent enough winter nights in Arthur back when the town was still a "dry" Methodist community. The kid brother's in-laws were pastors at the United Church. Had to keep our beer hidden in the trunk of the car lest there be recriminations.