Toys'R us NOT (nf)

limeyangler

Just went into a Toys'r'Us for the first time.

What a darn souless dump. Even Jack wanted to leave after 5 minutes. What ever happened to toys being fun and capable of switching on the wonderous thing that is a child's imagination!? Even the lego is prescriptive, all ready made kits of crap from TV. The whole place is a segregated, blue and pink, Disney sponsored, gender stereotype reenforcement, devoid of anything remotely fun. RANT OVER.

Edited by limeyangler

Just went into a Toys'r'Us for the first time.

What a darn souless dump. Even Jack wanted to leave after 5 minutes. What ever happened to toys being fun and capable of switching on the wonderous thing that is a child's imagination!? Even the lego is prescriptive, all ready made kits of crap from TV. The whole place is a segregated, blue and pink, Disney sponsored, gender stereotype reenforcement, devoid of anything remotely fun. RANT OVER.

:good:

If you are looking for non role type/ non stereotype toys you are going to have to look at some of the more independent toy shops. They are out there, and yes, more expensive.

Mastermind and Teachers Choice come to mind, but even they get caught up in some story specific toys like "Thomas".

Yes I remember Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys. I got those under the tree alongside green ( Brit and yank) and grey (German) army men.

I'm glad my son is now 23yrs old and even way back then we called them "crooks R us" as their prices and junk they had in the store were outrageous !!!!!!! ..... Not too mention expensive ... Glad I don't have to go through that crap anymore !!!!!! And you guys have just begun it ..... I feel sorry for you

Hahahha, that's like Marks Workwear, should be Victoria's Secret, more tutu's and pink pyjamas that WORK WEAR.

That reminds me, I have to take back a dark gray hoodie from Mark's that cost about $90.00 that faded in the sun after I wore it once. It has a brownish stripe down the front, the part that was exposed from my open jacket :wallbash::wallbash:

My favorite toy when I was a kid, was a Chemistry set. I set up a Lab under the stairs, and almost burned the house down with the alcohol burner that came with it............Sigh......made my first gun powder with that set. Good times. :santa:

Yup, a little bit of sulpher, charcoal, and saltpeter; put a big black spot on the celing in my bedroom and filled my bedroom with smoke LOL. Mom wasn't impressed!

Learned how to make rockets, smoke bombs, a little canon that would fire a marble farther than you could see it not to mention a bunch of very nasty smelling things that I some how produced. Now I remember why I never gave my kids a chemestry set LOL.

Yup, a little bit of sulpher, charcoal, and saltpeter; put a big black spot on the celing in my bedroom and filled my bedroom with smoke LOL. Mom wasn't impressed!

I have to chime in.

You just reminded me of something I havn't thought of in almost 30 years.

Grade 9 science class I made a working model of a volcano using paper mache some paint and a similar concoction of chemicals. It was supposed to just smoke a little bit, but, "more is always better" has always been my mantra and I stuffed that volcano full. When I lit the thing it literally did erupt. Someone sounded the fire alarm and the entire school was evacuated LOL!

Good times, good times. :lol:

Learned how to make rockets, smoke bombs, a little canon that would fire a marble farther than you could see it not to mention a bunch of very nasty smelling things that I some how produced. Now I remember why I never gave my kids a chemestry set LOL.

I lit off a concoction once in the bathroom. One blue flash and shattered the small sink. Boy was I in deep doodoo when mother got home. No more chemistry set. I had all but buried that awkward memory until I read this. :oops:

Ya the all pink/only pink for girls is crap, but they put out what people buy.

It just feels like all those bras were burnt for WHAT!

If you are looking for non role type/ non stereotype toys you are going to have to look at some of the more independent toy shops. They are out there, and yes, more expensive.

Mastermind and Teachers Choice come to mind, but even they get caught up in some story specific toys like "Thomas".

Yes I remember Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys. I got those under the tree alongside green ( Brit and yank) and grey (German) army men.

We actually have a good independent toy store in town which has good customer service but limited choice that we use frequently, however we went into that toys are whatever shop for some lego as we were in town. Lego is awesome! And Jack loves it! Its just disappointing to see such an awesome product that i grew up with hijacked to the point of disgusting by Disney Pixar! Problem is we watch a lot of Disney Pixar movies which Jack also loves(i love a couple of them too) It just feels so cynical to see companies sell their soul soooo completely to maximize PROFIT. But like others have said….they sell what people buy…..so what is the answer????

BALANCE. Thats part the reason we moved away from the city to live here. Yeah i have as many gadgets as the next person, but we don't have cell phones….no need to constantly tell everyone you are on the bus, in the shop, etc…etc….thats what Facebook is for…..lol.

I'm glad my son is now 23yrs old and even way back then we called them "crooks R us" as their prices and junk they had in the store were outrageous !!!!!!! ..... Not too mention expensive ... Glad I don't have to go through that crap anymore !!!!!! And you guys have just begun it ..... I feel sorry for you

Am not too worried about it, as parents we are in control of what Jack has access to. Two of his favourite possessions are a pink pony doll he found washed up on shore and a musical jewellery box….he is a child and loves these things……watching a child love something is awesome….what kind of parent would I be if i turned around and confiscated those things because of some warped, homophobic idiotic notion of gender roles? Well i'd be a warped, homophobic idiotic parent…lol…….NO THANKS!

I hated my parents for not letting me have the latest 'Hot Wheels'/Evil Knievel/Atari….but love them for it now as it made you use your imagination and decide for yourself what the world was like…rather than be told by Disney or Mattel!

Hahahha, that's like Marks Workwear, should be Victoria's Secret, more tutu's and pink pyjamas that WORK WEAR.

Pink tool sets for gawd's sake!

My favorite toy when I was a kid, was a Chemistry set. I set up a Lab under the stairs, and almost burned the house down with the alcohol burner that came with it............Sigh......made my first gun powder with that set. Good times. :santa:

I lit off a concoction once in the bathroom. One blue flash and shattered the small sink. Boy was I in deep doodoo when mother got home. No more chemistry set. I had all but buried that awkward memory until I read this. :oops:

LOVED MY CHEMISTRY SET TOO….iron filings and sulphuric acid…..STINK BOMBS! can you imagine anyone being aloud to sell a toy with sulphuric acid in a vial inside these days???!!!?? Wow.

I don't know... 3/4 of Mastermind is the same stuff as Toys R Us and higher priced.

Unless you've been living in a cave, everything for the past 25 years has been branded by Lego, Disney, Marvel, DC, TV Shows, etc. Toy manufacturers are not stupid at all, they know putting an advertisement of Power Rangers action figures on YTV is going to net them huge profits come Christmas time when Tommy wants the Blue Ranger set he saw. Not a boring telescope that he doesn't see on TV.

For you middle age and older gents,I remember being a youg boy and getting a wood burning set.Could of bunt the house down.Easily sidetracked left the unit on the table on,and it started burning the dining room table.Mom smelt something burning,and I had stepped out to play :tease: ..Thinking back the world was a different place then,like who would leave there kids alone with a wood burning tool in the house or anywhere.. :wallbash:

My favorite was the creepy crawler maker. You poured goop into a metal mold and put it on a hotplate as you leaned over it so you could smell when it was done. You then used a cheesy clip to lift it out and dunk it in to a bowl of water. Man I still remember the smell of the goop and the burn scars on my arms. Now that was a toy.

Art

For you middle age and older gents

And lets not forget back in the day when us kids all walked around with a pair of 6 shooters on our belts and a Daisy BB gun for backup :lol:

If a kid was seen like that today all the do-gooders would have the ETF chasing us down.

Being a kid was definitely better back then.

For you middle age and older gents,I remember being a youg boy and getting a wood burning set.Could of bunt the house down.Easily sidetracked left the unit on the table on,and it started burning the dining room table.Mom smelt something burning,and I had stepped out to play :tease: ..Thinking back the world was a different place then,like who would leave there kids alone with a wood burning tool in the house or anywhere.. :wallbash:

I had the exact same set - man, the burns I got on my fingers from that thing lol. Can't believe that was sold for a child to use.