Toys'R us NOT (nf)

limeyangler

My favorite was the creepy crawler maker. You poured goop into a metal mold and put it on a hotplate as you leaned over it so you could smell when it was done. You then used a cheesy clip to lift it out and dunk it in to a bowl of water. Man I still remember the smell of the goop and the burn scars on my arms. Now that was a toy.

Art

Now we do the same thing, 'cept it's fer soft plastics.

And lets not forget back in the day when us kids all walked around with a pair of 6 shooters on our belts and a Daisy BB gun for backup :lol:

I remember when most boys carried a pocketknife everywhere, incl to school where we would play a game called 'knife' at recess time. Probably wouldn't go over big these days. :(

I have to chime in.

You just reminded me of something I havn't thought of in almost 30 years.

Grade 9 science class I made a working model of a volcano using paper mache some paint and a similar concoction of chemicals. It was supposed to just smoke a little bit, but, "more is always better" has always been my mantra and I stuffed that volcano full. When I lit the thing it literally did erupt. Someone sounded the fire alarm and the entire school was evacuated LOL!

Good times, good times. :lol:

LOL .... your mantra .... more is always better, Mike ? judging by the tackle you carry I believe you !!!!

Lol Chad, I would have done but ended up at the new Cabela's in Winnipeg by myself, Jack was napping back at the hotel after some pretty yucky dental work.

Next time you head there take him to a hobby shop and let him pick out a model aircraft kit. Teaches him to read instructions, follow directions, and how to turn a few odd shaped lumps of plastic into something way cool! Revell has a series of kits that are snap-together, no glue required, or if you feel confident enough with him working with glue you just get something simple with a small number of parts. You might want to pick up a few, that way if he gets hooked you don't need to go all the way back to Winterpeg! Here's a Yellow Pages list of hobby shops there: http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Model+Construction+%26+Hobby+Shops/Winnipeg+MB

Next time you head there take him to a hobby shop and let him pick out a model aircraft kit. Teaches him to read instructions, follow directions, and how to turn a few odd shaped lumps of plastic into something way cool!

Exactly what lego does, which is what I went into T'r'U for.

Thinking back on all the cool toys I had as a kid (I was spoiled). Too many to remember.
Meccano got a good workout.
Slot cars, model cars, got into building balsa wood planes with .049 engines you flew on a string.
A buddy and I also built a motorized go-kart from scrap materials.
One special one that comes to mind was called a Vaccuform. It had sheets of plastic that went on the top that were heated by the machine. Under the plastic you could put different forms that the plastic would form over when the vacuum was applied.

Like terry said I got BB guns slingshots and even a bow & arrow set !!!!! It was awesome oh ya and I can't forget the lawn darts !!!!! We played cowboys & Indians with real BB guns !!!! Haha and no none of us shot our eye out !!! But man we had cool stuff for sure and yes every bit had a jackknife I got one from my uncle when I was about 11 and it had my name on it and it was a Swiss Army knife !!!! I took that everywhere we were allowed too !!!! There was never any worry about stabbing people or anything things were not like that back then as most boys had one !!!!! And by 13 some of us even got our grandpas .22 rifles !!!! Ahhhh the memories .....