Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

Same thing for Subban, and Markov is due for a season ending injury.

First to last I say for MTL this season. ...

Not as bad as the Sens though.... They'll be so bad this year Eugene Melnyk will offer Leaf fans and Canadien Fans special promotions to keep them in the building for other home games.

Your just barrel of fun and a wonderful addition to the community!

Nothing to do with the Leafs but this is pretty funny.

Great way to get around the 2 minute extra penalty if you remove your helmet for a fight.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/09/nhlers-fight-through-loophole-in-rule-book.html

Brett Gallant and Krys Barch challenged each other to a bout in an NHL exhibition game Thursday night, but before they began pummelling each other they exhibited civility not unlike duelling Englishmen.

But it wasn't a show of manners for the NHL forwards. The New York Islanders winger and his New Jersey Devils counterpart removed each other's helmets prior to the tilt to circumvent a new NHL rule. 

The rule prevents fighters from taking their own helmets off, punishable by an extra two minutes in the penalty box.

So what a better solution than to do the honours for your opponent? Effective, and rather humourous.

At first, it appeared Barch was about to remove his own helmet, but quickly put it back on and let Gallant do the honours.

Take a look at the spectacle below:

Anybody looking for a new signature?

Toronto - Ottawa Playoff History

2000 - Conference Quarter-Final - Toronto won best-of-seven series 4-2, outscoring Ottawa 17-10.

2001 - Conference Quarter-Final - Toronto won best-of-seven series 4-0, outscoring Ottawa 10-3.

2002 - Conference Semi-Final - Toronto won best-of-seven series 4-3, Ottawa outscored Toronto 18-16.

2004 - Conference Quarter-Final - Toronto won best-of-seven series 4-3, outscoring Ottawa 14-11.

Games Played: 24

Results: Toronto 16 (.667) Ottawa 8 (.333)

Didn't he kick his stick to shoot the puck? And it would have counted.

That's how I saw it.

I don't think there is anything in the rules that says that is illegal. I wonder if they league might revisit that type of "shot", but since it is unlikely that a player is going to try that during the season it may not matter.

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:

(i) A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal.

(ii) A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.

(iii) A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but if we are going to look at the letter of the law then I'll contend that the shaft of the stick is not the blade (which the rule specifically mentions) and that he levered his stick against his shin to propel the puck rather then kicked the puck.

He clearly with a kicking motion kicked the shaft of his stick propelling the puck towards the goal. The rul doesn't explicitely say only just that "This includes". It does however explictly state "kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.)" Last I heard the stick is the stick. Seeing as how its not possible to kick the shaft and the blade its reasonable to assume that kicking the shaft is considered kicking the stick.

He clearly with a kicking motion kicked the shaft of his stick propelling the puck towards the goal. The rul doesn't explicitely say only just that "This includes". It does however explictly state "kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.)" Last I heard the stick is the stick. Seeing as how its not possible to kick the shaft and the blade its reasonable to assume that kicking the shaft is considered kicking the stick.

when it's referring to those items it means the items are off of the player and items on the ice