Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

Actually, it looks like kessel flapped his gums and then raised his hand toward Scott first. Silly little troll :) I think Scott new he wasnt going to get to Kessel, just made a grab toward him and was glad to deflect to the first leaf to intercept him. Im sure he was glad he couldnt get to him uncontested, that would have been awkward for him (scott) to have to go full beat down mode on phil in front of the hockey world lol.

Scott may have looked silly with the attempt to grab him. But IMO Kessel trumped that with the baseball swings at Scotts ankles from outside the scrum as Scott is preoccupied with 2 guys on him. And then later comin in to poke him again. Hes askin for a whoopin. Of course thats just my opinion. ANd my opinion would be the same if it was Ennis from the sabres behaving the same with Orr.

It all evens out in the end.......I say good for Buffalo for being on the other end of the conversation for a change.

Kessel gets the rest of the preseason off..No regular season games..!! I knew Shanny was a smart man..Buffalo's coach Ron Rolston fined for player selection and team conduct..Thats more realistic..

On another note..As for the Clarkson suspension The Leafs had home ice advantage.. The puck had not been dropped yet. We have the last line change..I would totally appeal this big time. Oh wait the PA already is.This is why he (Clarkson) is so quiet right now... He may too beat this and I hope he does..He didn't jump off the bench to fight he left the bench to break up a scrum..AKA line change...lol

thought this was funny as anything Leaf hockey..lol

Phil Kessel's suspension hearing: The top secret transcript
kessel_suspended.jpg
Kessel spears Scott right in the creepy extra
leg that apparently hangs off of his hip.

(Scene: A boardroom in a downtown skyscraper. Brendan Shanahan sits at one end of a long table, preparing for the hearing. After shuffling a few papers, he's ready to begin.)

Shanahan: OK, first up we need to hear from the Maple Leafs. Send in Phil Kessel and Randy Carlyle.

(Phil Kessel walks into the room.)

Shanahan: Uh, where's Randy?

Kessel: Oh, he's on his way.

(Carlyle, sprawled out on top of a fainting chair, is carried into the room by several MLSE interns.)

Carlyle (with the back of his hand to his forehead): Fighting! Enforcers! Oh the humanity! However could an NHL team do such a thing!

Shanahan: Uh, Randy…

Carlyle: Won't somebody please think of the children!

Shanahan: Good try, Randy.

Carlyle: Not buying it, eh?

Shanahan: Not especially.

Carlyle (getting up from the fainting couch): Want to fight about it?

Shanahan: Maybe later. But first I want to talk to Phil. Phil, you're here because you slashed John Scott twice. It sure seemed like intent to injure. Let's start with the first slash, how can you justify that?

Kessel: Before the faceoff, John Scott told me he was going to attack me. He's much bigger than me and has far more experience fighting, so I felt that I needed to take action to protect myself. Whether it's on the ice or on the street, a person in imminent danger of being assaulted has a right to self-defence, and so I did what I had to do.

Shanahan: Hm. That's pretty convincing.

Kessel: Thanks.

Shanahan: And the second slash?

Kessel: Oh, I was just trying to break his ankle.

Shanahan: Ah.

Kessel: Seriously, screw that guy, am I right?

Shanahan: Well, I appreciate your honestly, even though you probably just extended your suspension by another game.

Kessel (under his breath): That's the last extension I'll be getting in this town…

Carlyle: Wait, what?

Kessel: Nothing coach!

Shanahan: Phil, if you could just sign your statement, we're done here.

(Shanahan hands Kessel a pen. Kessel starts to write, then pauses to shake the pen.)

Kessel: It's out of ink.

Voice from outside: DON'T WORRY PHIL, I WILL SAVE YOU!

Kessel: Oh Christ.

(David Clarkson bursts dramatically through the office's plate glass window.)

Shanahan: The door was unlocked...

Clarkson (striking a heroic pose): No time for that now. PHIL KESSEL IS IN TROUBLE!

Kessel: Actually, I can just get another pen, Dave, it's not really a big deal…

Clarkson: MUST PROTECT PHIL!

Kessel: No, actually, the situation is completely under control and…

Clarkson: WE'LL GATHER THE TROOPS! STORM THE INK FACTORY! THERE WILL BE BLOOD AT DAWN!

Kessel: Randy?

Carlyle: I'm on it.

(Carlyle pulls out a long vaudevillian cane and slowly reaches for Clarkson's neck.)

Shanahan: Cool cane.

Kessel: Thanks. We just had it made.

Shanahan: OK, now it's time to get the Sabres side of the story. Send in John Scott and Ron Rolston.

(Rolston enters the room, wheeling a large crate. He smashes the crate's lock with a sledgehammer, and John Scott emerges.)

Shanahan: John, why don't we start with you. Can you explain your actions leading up to the altercation?

Scott: (staring straight ahead)

Shanahan: John?

Scott: (grunts)

Rolston: Yeah, he's not much of a talker.

Shanahan: I'm getting that impression.

Rolston: Oops, almost forgot feeding time.

(Rolston tosses an oddly shaped slab of raw beef in Scott's direction.)

Scott: (unhinges jaw; devours slab whole)

Shanahan: Was that a human femur?

Rolston: Don't you worry about what it was.

Carlyle: Completely disgusting. You ought to be ashamed. (Takes out a notepad; writes "Reminder to self: Feed Orr/McLaren.")

Shanahan: OK, well let's move on to you, Ron. You certainly seemed to be sending a message by having Scott on the ice. Given the situation, why leave him out there?

Rolston: I realize it may have seemed over the top. But I'm the coach of the Sabres now, and I have to respect the fact that Buffalo fans prefer a team that plays rough.

Shanahan: They do?

Rolston: Oh sure. Every fan I talk to is always saying stuff like "We love rough" and "This team was way better in the rough days".

Shanahan: Um…

Rolston: Or "I can't believe we fired rough and hired you, oh man our franchise is so screwed".

Shanahan: Right.

Rolston: Come to think of it, that last one doesn't even make grammatical sense.

Shanahan: You keep working on it. By the way, is he OK?

(Shanahan looks over at Scott, who is gnawing on the boardroom table.)

Rolston: You're going to want to avoid making eye contact.

Shanahan: Thanks for the warning. OK, our next witness is… wait, that can't be right.

Tyler Seguin: Hey guys.

Shanahan: You have nothing to do with this case.

Seguin: Sorry. I'm legally mandated to show up at least once in every Phil Kessel story. It's a Toronto bylaw.

(From the street below, a tour bus with a hot tub on the roof begins honking its horn impatiently.)

Seguin: So, are we almost done, or…

Shanahan: We're getting there.

Seguin (noticing Kessel): Oh, hey Phil.

Kessel: Hey Tyler. How's Boston?

Seguin: Actually, I got traded this summer.

Kessel: Oops. Now I feel kind of awkward.

Clarkson: I WILL SAVE YOU FROM YOUR FEELINGS, PHIL!

Kessel: No, David, it's fine. Look, just take a deep breath and think about what you're about to…

Clarkson (flips the boardroom table): YEEEARGHH!

Shanahan: OK, I think we need to wrap this up. Does anyone have any final statements they want to get on the record?

Rolston: No.

Kessel: Nope.

Carlyle: No.

Scott: I've just always found that any discussion of justice is complicated by Plato's Euthyphro dilemma, which states that if we are to have independent moral standards then some actions must be right or wrong in themselves independent of a higher authority.

Kessel:

Rolston:

Shanahan:

Seguin: Ah, but then you'd be ignoring Swinburne's response that contingent moral truths cannot be denied without inherently contradicting…

Scott: (immediately uppercuts Seguins' head, which explodes)

Shanahan: OK everyone, thanks for coming. I'll release the video announcing my decision once I've taken my medication to remove all traces of my personality. You can all leave now.

(Everyone begins to file out.)

Shanahan: Oh, by the way, you'll have to take the stairs. The elevator is being repaired.

Carlyle: Wait, you mean there's an open elevator shaft just down that hallway?

Shanahan: Yeah.

Carlyle: That's an incredibly dangerous situation!

(He thinks for a moment.)

Carlyle: Phil, you go.

Kessel: Dude…

Clarkson: FEAR NOT, PHIL!

Kessel: David, I'll just take the stairs…

Clarkson: I'LL FIGHT YOU, GRAVITY!

(Clarkson hurls himself down the elevator shaft.)

Clarkson (voice fading as he plummets): I REGRET NOTHING….

Rolston: OK, now is this over?

Shanahan: Now it's over.

Rolston: Completely over?

Shanahan: 100%. Done. Finished. Everything has been resolved, and the situation is absolutely and completely over with.

Rolston Which means...

Shanahan (checks watch): Any second now…

Jonathan Bernier: Hey, anyone want to fight?

I love hockey and i like the leafs. I find your generalization of leafs fans offensive(squid)

I do not like kessel but i think the first slash was justified. The rest no i also dont care for phaneuf either. I just want them to play meaningful games in the spring for a change. I dont understand what upsets you so much??? Do you like the raptors or something??? By the way my wife has a cat named squid who has six toes. I dont like him either have a nice day sir.

That was an ok game..The leafs did good.. Reims looked solid again..Its to bad the game winning goal was kicked in the net..No video replay in preseason otherwise we would have had OT at least..Oh well leave it to the sens to kick it in to win....

:w00t::clapping::rofl2:

That was an ok game..The leafs did good.. Reims looked solid again..Its to bad the game winning goal was kicked in the net..No video replay in preseason otherwise we would have had OT at least..Oh well leave it to the sens to kick it in to win....

You crack me up, the Sens(PRAISE SPEZZA) and their B squad made your laffs look like amateurs. Out shot, out played, out scored.....Reamer(intentional misspelling) :mellow: made it a game, good luck to him to repeat that effort all year.

The laffs are doomed :clapping:

Leafs had minimal legs going, lupal played fairly sloppy. Lots of missed passes by the Leafs. 5 games in 8 days following the tilt against buffalo... Oh yah and it's preseason.. oh yah and musky matt if you are so excited about a preseason won the Leafs are 3-1-1 I am happy with that record thus far having lots of youngsters in the lineup.

I think the league made it loud and clear with what went down how they view it.

1) Clarkson no brainer, don't leave the bench.

2) Buffalo should have never have had Scott on the ice by giving the coach a fine.

3) You don't break the Code of Goon fighters going after skilled guys.

4) Slap on the wrist for Kessel just because yah you don't do that but clearly no harm was done and clearly was done in self defense. See point 3.

Having said that I would have been ok with Kessel getting a 1 or 2 game regular season suspension. That kind of slashing is just not cool.

As for what would have happened to Scott. I can almost guarantee had Scott got hold of Kessel and pounded on him and Clarkson not jumped in off the boards Scott would be out for a long sit down re point 3.