Soul Therapy

MJL

As many of you know, back in February, I was diagnosed with cancer for a 2nd time in 2.5yrs. For 3 months I underwent one of the more intensive chemotherapy regimens available. Things didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped and my treatment took longer than originally planned; anaphylaxis was one of the bigger issues. By the end of it all, I was beaten and broken down. Throughout my treatment, I kept my eyes on what I wanted to do and the places I wanted to visit when it finished.

Have I accomplished what I wanted to do? Not even close

Am I having fun doing what I love to do, whenever I can do it? Absolutely.

The last 2 months I’ve been able to get out onto the water a few times to enjoy some Soul-therapy. There are very few things I enjoy doing more than my fishing & photography. My dad and friends helped drive me to the rivers and carry some of my gear down to the bank. Here are some pics that I took:

Carp

IMG_7804a1_zpsc3287408.jpg

The release

IMG_7803a1_zps03d422fc.jpg

IMG_6583b1_zps5a01d080.jpg

Big Shoulders

IMG_6693b1_zps3827b4c6.jpg

IMG_6621b2d1_zpsfc105100.jpg

IMG_5667bb1_zps9dc20dd1.jpg

Redhorse

According to a redhorse ID chart I found on Google, it looks like a silver redhorse. I caught a few with worms. They do fight well.

IMG_6932c1_zpse74f186e.jpg

IMG_7018b1_zpscb91f229.jpg

Sheepshead

IMG_7946a1_zpseb838f24.jpg

IMG_7665b1_zps1931fc68.jpg

IMG_7647a1_zpsb3f53589.jpg

Channel Catfish

IMG_7465b1_zpsf064d721.jpg

IMG_7491a1_zps11f94f8f.jpg

White Bass

IMG_6278f1_zps86c73452.jpg

IMG_6341e1_zps56b64d66.jpg

IMG_6385a1_zps3f561585.jpg

IMG_6330b1_zpse291e008.jpg

Mystery Gar

According to the fish ID experts that were contacted, it’s either a rare spotted gar or a Florida gar that someone released from an aquarium. Either case, it’s a neat catch.

IMG_7506b1_zps15935755.jpg

IMG_7618a1_zpsbf438c65.jpg

One day I'd love to get underwater pictures of all the 154 species of freshwater fish in Ontario. In reality I probably won't get them all but I'd like to photograph as many as I can and have fun trying. Maybe in 20-30yrs I'll write a coffee table book.LOL

If there’s one thing I learned during this stint of chemo and watching streaming movies online while in quarantine, it’s rule #32 from Zombieland: “Enjoy the little things”

Cheers

Mike

Awesome shots Mike...I'm glad to hear you are getting out and about...

Your soul therapy is the same as my mental health therapy... :Gonefishing:

Anybody you know ???

Edited by Beans

Thanks guys for the comments. Glad you liked the pics. It really means a lot :)

Great post MJL.
Hope all is well on your end. Excellent photo skills too !

I too live by some Zombieland rules........

# 8 - Get a kick ass partner
# 14- Always carry a change of underwear

Take care of yourself dude

Thanks MSP. I also live by Rule #31 - Check the backseat...I don't want anyone stealing my custom float rods :lol:

Very cool dude, amazing shots - question for ya - are you shooting with a DSLR? Underwater housing? Bag?

Thanks Dozer. I am shooting with a DSLR setup:

- Canon 7D

- Canon 8-15mm f/4L

- Aquatech sport housing & dome port

IMG_5283a_zps301ba8b1.jpg

I have used EWA Marine baggies in the past and the pics came out great and it was super easy to travel with. I would however not recommend them for use in sub-zero temps – The seams become brittle and fail.

aybe you can get up for a fall morning steelhead fish.

Take care Mike.

Brian, I’m definitely making my way up to your neck of the woods this fall. I totally missed out on the spring steelhead/trout season this year.

Awesome photos, and some real nice fish to boot. That's a cool variety, was that all in one spot? Show the big C who's boss and kick its arse man! Hopefully things go well.

Thanks Locnar. All but 1 of the pictures were taken from the same river. The fishing hasn’t been all that great for me this season numbers-wise (compared to what I normally average) but I guess it’s a good thing as I spend my time recovering :lol:

Nice pictures and catches. I played around with underwater photo's/video with my Fuji camera, need to do more of it next time I'm out. Love underwater images.

Thanks for sharing,

MTBF

Thanks Mike. Do you still work at the shop? I may need to pop in for your advice on lures for bass next time I'm in the area :)

Beautiful work Mike. I'd love to spend a couple days with you up here some time. Get yourself better Bud.

Dan, it's one of my dreams to come up to your neighbourhood and fish with you :)

Awesome shots Mike...I'm glad to hear you are getting out and about...

Your soul therapy is the same as my mental health therapy... :Gonefishing:

Anybody you know ???

attachicon.gifPboro 03 Sep09 004.jpg

We need to hook up again...It's been too long :)

And that was me 8lbs lighter than I am now.LOL

Thanks again guys :)

Those are incredible photos! You have mad skillz!

That is probably a rare spotted gar. Found in couple spots Lake Erie shore/marsh or eastern Lake Ontario shore/marsh.

Sad to see you battling the health issues, you will win out.

All the best!