Chasing The Grey, A Journey Back In Time

DRIFTER_016

Four billion years ago the Canadian Shield was born. It covers three quarters of Canada and extends in the United States. Eight million square kilometers in size it spans from Eastern to Central to Northern Canada and South into the US Midwest. The oldest section of the shield is the portion in The North West Territories and Nunavut. My little corner of the shield is said to be four billion years old!!!

Fishin4_zps3ddb592c.jpg

Fishin21_zpsdb069512.jpg

Fishin22_zps91319dc6.jpg

Fishin23_zps71e25f75.jpg

Over the July long weekend I had planned to take a little vacation to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Great Slave is the ninth largest lake on the planet at just over 27,000 square kilometers in size. It is also the deepest in North America at 614 meters. In her deep cold waters live the fish of many anglers dreams. There are trophy sized Whitefish, Walleye, Pike and the giants of the lake the grey trout, or Lake Trout as they're more commonly known. There are also burbot as well as Arctic Grayling and the tarpon of the tundra the Inconnu a member of the whitefish family that inhabits only five drainage's worldwide.

This is a land of extremes where the wintertime temperatures can drop into the -50's Celsius and climb into the +30 degree range in the summer. It is a semi-arid region that sees less than 300mm of precipitation annually. This makes for lots of beautiful sunny days both winter and summer.

GSL_Full_zps42f4ff73.jpg

Fishin5_zpsd1cfba3a.jpg

My route would take me about 100 kilometers down the lake and into Great Slaves famous East Arm, home to endless wilderness and big strong Lake Trout.

GSL_Zoom_zpsc985390f.jpg

The trip would consist of myself, my trusty husky Sahtu and enough gas to make the trip. Seems there aren't many gas stations there for some reason. Could be the lack of roads, towns and people. ;)

I loaded the boat up Wednesday evening for an early morning departure on Thursday with the plan to return on Tuesday July 2nd my 51st birthday. I'm a bit of an adventure nut and routinely enjoy vacationing in less traveled and areas where you need to have your wits about you if you want to return alive. :)

I spend every fall camping in the grizzly and black bear country of South Central Alaska and have spent time camping on the tundra 600 kilometers North of Yellowknife on Great Bear Lake. I have also camped on Great Slave in both summer and the Arctic winter. I don't think there is any more vulnerable feeling than being alone camping on the ice 80 kilometers from town in the middle of January North of 60 degrees.

P1170005.jpg

I have also camped on the lake in March which is still the middle of winter in these parts with temps in the -10C to -20C range.

P3280017.jpg

But I digress. Back to the trip at hand.

The weather was supposed to be sunny with East winds to 20kph on Thursday, which would be pretty good for the long trip. I knew the trip would get a little bumpy near my final destination but was not worried.

Fishin2_zpsec2aaa72.jpg

The trip runs through some pretty treacherous shoal filled territory and I did manage to tag one on the way out. In the 30 some odd years I have been a boater it's the first time I have ever hit one at speed. Luckily the damage was not terminal and I carried onto my destination, Francois Bay and a nicely protected camp site.

I was right about the last part of the trip getting bumpy. About 10kms from my destination the winds started to pick up past the 20kph the weather forecasters were calling for and the waves were beginning to build. What was worse was I was quartering into them on my starboard side and getting hosed by water that was only a few degrees North of being solid.

Camp_Map_zpse7c3ca81.jpg

There is a nice place to pull the boat in here and on some soft bottom to boot!!!

Boat_zps26c5bb64.jpg

After unloading the Subhunter it was time to set up camp. The site is one of several that gets used quite often during the summer and has a couple of improvements that are nice. One is a 4X8 foot plywood table to set the kitchen up on and the second is an open air out house complete with a view and toilet seat.

Camp3_zps6b4b3561.jpg

Camp7_zps2b060a55.jpg

Camp6_zps9d70651b.jpg

Along with the improvements at the site there are also some pretty great views.
This is right in front of the tent looking back into the bay.

Camp9_zpsff18e0bd.jpg

This is looking towards the lake from the same spot.

Camp2_zpsfc6eb39b.jpg

This is looking at the bay from the end of the point.

Camp1_zps063c451f.jpg

During camp set up the wind really started to howl, but it waited until I was ready to set up the screen tent. I would guess the gusts were in the 40-50kph range. As you can see I managed to get the tent up, but the fishing would have to wait until the winds died down. So the pup and I went and took a snooze until dinner time. I don't think he was impressed.

Rasberry_zpsdd8dc520.jpg

We got up around six and the winds had died down to a manageable level so it was dinner and then a little fishin' time. So it was build a fire and toss on a steak.

Dinner4_zpse88bc598.jpg

And hit the water!!!!

Fishin1_zpsaf3c42e6.jpg

Fishing was slow and I only landed 5 that first night including one about 15 or so pounds. :D

Fishin19_zpsa78894e1.jpg

Fishin10_zps5e819b39.jpg

Then it was time to head in and kick back with a rum and a good book in the screen tent away from the bugs.

Camp8_zpsee5440fa.jpg

Friday, my first full day in camp had me eat some bacon and eggs before heading out for the morning fish. This was my best day size wise for fish. I landed one in the 22-23 pound range and lost one in the 25-30 pound range as well as landing a good number in the 10 pound range.

This is my big one of the trip. I did take one shot of me holding it but it didn't turn out.
It's tough fishing by yourself and Sahtu hasn't learned to operate a camera yet.

Fishin8_zps5ac7cbde.jpg

I laid the wood shampoo to a good eater to BBQ up for dinner.

Fishin12_zps053ad3c7.jpg
A little surf and turf.

Dinner1_zps868dcd8f.jpg

As I said there were some bugs around. There were all of your biting kinds: Mosquitoes, Black Flies, Deer Flies and the worst of the bunch were the Horse Flies. There was also a good number of Caddis Flies and May Flies hatching.

Mayfly2_zps5f3b7a99.jpg

Saturday dawned bright and calm. There was zero wind and the temps were approaching +30C. This really changed the fishing. Trolling large spoons like my big Wolverines that had worked the previous two days were now being ignored. Time to change things up so I rigged a rod with a 4" glow Buzz Bomb and used it power jigging the depths while motoring with the bow mount electric. This really picked up the action, however the fish were smaller and I didn't break 10 pounds on Saturday. I did have somewhere around 40 or 50 bites though. :D

Fishin14_zps40bccb09.jpg

Fishin16_zpsd35e3eb7.jpg

Fishin17_zps8d67621b.jpg

Back in camp there were some interesting sights like this brightly coloured lichen.

Lichen_zps7ea7447f.jpg

Wild Roses.

Flora2_zps7a145e9d.jpg

And these little white flowers.

Flora1_zpsd8ab50be.jpg

I think the fun and excitement got to Sahtu.

Camp5_zpse1173546.jpg

TiredDog_zps754f95b9.jpg

Sunday morning I went to gas up the kicker and as I hopped on the boat I noticed a swirl in the water. As I was filling I found out what caused it.................PIKE!!! I have caught them here before in the inside bay and brought my 9wt fly rod in case I ran into them again. I saw a couple of fish in casting distance so tossed out my favorite green leech.

P1230237.jpg

It was instantly hammered by a 30 inch fish. As I was fighting it his buddies showed up and there were over a dozen roaming the area.

Fishin28_zpsd378e77f.jpg

I managed to land about 10 or 12 before the action died and I never left the dock. It was then time to hit the lakers again. It was more of the same weather wise and the best technique was power jigging again, although the action was slower over all the sized picked up some and I got several in the 10 pound range.

Fishin19_zpsa78894e1.jpg

Fishin11_zps6506564c.jpg

The breeze picked up in the afternoon and changed to the South West. This brought in smoke from forest fires burning near Fort Providence on the South West corner of the lake.

Fishin6_zpsaca77fe7.jpg

I bonked another trout for dinner and cooked up some beer battered goodness!!!

Fishin18_zps6ad228d4.jpg

Dinner2_zpsefd96d7b.jpg

Dinner3_zps49ffa602.jpg

Monday, my last fishing day before the long trip home started the same as Sunday with some pike on the fly as they were back for round two!!! And these ones were bigger. I landed 7 in short order with the biggest about a 40 incher.

Fishin27_zps3e3fc02e.jpg

Fishin26_zps1ef52b9f.jpg

And a short video

After the pike were done it was off for troots again. Today the East winds were back and had changed the surface temps but had also made the bait disappear so my fish from Saturday and Sunday were gone. The fishing was the slowest of the whole trip but I did manage half a dozen to 12 pounds.

Fishin5_zpsd1cfba3a.jpg

Fishin24_zpsfdbffd5f.jpg

Fishin13_zpsf5fc0c9c.jpg

Fishin15_zpsf5902d90.jpg

Grabbed a fish to take home as well.

Fishin9_zps11f27888.jpg

Then it was back to camp to start packing for the trip home in the morning. The dog lazed around while I cooked dinner and put things away.

Sahtu_zps0c1bdc5e.jpg

Camp4_zps5af3a888.jpg

The smoke in the air made for a nice sunset.
Well not really sunset, but you get the idea.

Fishin7-3_zps610c56ee.jpg

That evening the winds would pick up and shift to the North East. By bed time it was gusting to 60 or 70 kph and I was hoping it would mellow by the time I left in the morning. Luckily it did die and the trip home could commence. About half way home I got hammered by a thunder storm and got drenched!!!! In about an hour it had moved on out and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

I wouldn't have been able to carry enough gas to feed my old 90hp 2 stroke but the new 4 stroke managed to get pretty decent mileage and I used about 40 gallons for the whole trip. I do wish I had brought a couple of more cans of gas so I could have hit McKenzie point as it was fishing pretty good from what others were saying.

Besides myself and the pup there were 3 other groups camping in Francois Bay so it was pretty quiet.

I'm looking to do a longer trip next year but will probably have to tow my 8' Zodiac to haul fuel. I'll have to arrange with my ex employer Plummers Lodges for an ice and fuel resupply as well.

Until the next adventure.........................

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have a cousin in Yellowknife who I've promised to visit next summer. I'm gonna have to look you up.

Those trips you do are awesome! Your lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country!!

Looks like the dog enjoyed it as well :)

Have you ever caught an inconnu? I'd love to get one!!

S.

I have a cousin in Yellowknife who I've promised to visit next summer. I'm gonna have to look you up.

Those trips you do are awesome! Your lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country!!

Looks like the dog enjoyed it as well :)

Have you ever caught an inconnu? I'd love to get one!!

S.

I've caught plenty, but not around Yellowknife.

They are here but are usually only caught in the nets or occasionally while fishing for other species.

Not really a species you can target here.

I have caught tons of them on the Anderson River about 130 miles North of Great Bear Lake.

Enjoyed the report Dave. Even though I don't think i have read a report that even comes close to your ice fishing escapade a few years back. that one is still fresh on my mind and you every now and then throw that pic of your outfitters camp in as a reminder once again!