raw food NF

wkrp

We feed our dog a combination of high grade dry food and table scraps. We never feed at the table though so she knows not to make a nusance of herself while we are eating. After we have had our supper we give her what ever table scraps are left over and if she is still hungry after they are gone, she has her dry food.

She seems to be doing quite well on it but none of it is raw, I'd be interested in hearing from some vets as to what they think.

Good thread BTW.

I feed my dogs orijin dry food. He eats better than I do. It's a whole prey diet.

I use to feed my dogs orijin but I switched them over to Fromm. Fromm is just as good and half the price.

There are eating the duck and sweet potatoe recipe.

I have a german shepherd, and he is on a raw meat diet. It was recommended to me by my trainer.(well respected police dog trainer) he said all 6 of his dogs are on it now and healthier and more active and aware. Also said all his clients noticed a difference in their dogs. Mainly because of stronger immune system. I personally havent noticed any difference but i am a beleiver that dogs are naturally carnivores and raw meat is what they should be eating. Leaves lots of room for debate though..

My old family dog lived to be 19 years old on 95 percent table scraps..(Shitzu small dog)

My little Yorky-Poo is nearly 17 years old now and has eaten table scraps his whole life. He gets Ceasars dog food for breakfast, always has a bowl of dry food for whenever he's hungry, but for supper he has whatever we're having.

He was at the vets awhile back for his regular check-up and she was saying that she can't believe how healthy he is for being 17 years old and asked what he ate. When I told her he eats whatever we have for supper she said not to feed him table scraps as it's very un-healthy for a dog.

I reminded her that she just said she couldn't believe how healthy he was and she just kinda chuckled and said "yeah, I guess your right, go ahead and feed him whatever the heck he wants" :lol:

I have had 2 labs both lived to be 15 ,fed them quality dry food mixed with boiled liver diced up ,they also had their fair share of table scraps,both lived healthy active lives,starting slowing down once they hit around 10 but remained healthy.

My dads golden retreiver eats fish heads and table scraps for the most part. In the winter he gets seal fat mixed with corn meal. Healthy as can be at 14 years old. My family ran dog sleds back in the day, and you'd be amazed at what. Those dogs ate! Strong like bulls too.

Mine gets dry food, 4 cups a day, and he gets some table scraps here and there too. He'll eat anything though.....and he's a little over weight.

S.

I would start with a high quality puppy kibble and slowly introduce a RAW diet after at least a year.

I've had my GSP on just about every quality food you could imagine , including a RAW diet.

In the off season he's feed straight kibble , during the hunting season (Sept-Feb) he's feed kibble supplemented with basically anything we have for supper that night ie , meats, fish, rice, etc ..

For 6 months of the year he's expected to run and hunt hard 3 to 4 days of the week.

Usally around Oct he's transformed into a lean mean hunting machine.

Why have you picked a RAW diet?

A growing pup has very high nutritional needs. More protein, fat and energy, and micronutrients.

The food needs to be properly balanced, or health/growth will be compromised.

A raw meat diet will not give you that.

Also, salmonella bacteria are commonly present in raw poultry. It has been shown that dogs eating raw poultry constantly excrete salmonella bacteria thru their feces and they are present in their mouths. This poses a risk to you and your family. Dogs are fairly resistant to getting sick.

Dogs are not carnivores. They are like us and bears, omnivors. They don't require a high meat diet, unlike cats that are carnivores.

My advice is to feed a good quality, brand name dry puppy food, until he is 6 mo old. Then gradually switch to adult food.

If you want to home cook, follow a published, balanced recipe. The meat and starches should be cooked, fruits and veggies raw.

peter

veterinarian

The house dog has been bred and cross-bred by humans for thousands of years. They may have the phsiology of carnivores, but are far from it. They have become quite human like over the years, and require a balanced diet just like us. Mine gets table scraps and a good quality dry food containing veggies and chicken. I find it hard to belive that a raw meat diet would provide enough nutrition, but thats just me.

Dry kibble as a base, supplemented with veggies, fresh caught FISH, and small amounts of meat, cooked and raw. Stay away from any breadstuffs. Don't underestimate the importance of exercise and activity. Lucky lived to be 17. Casey is now 18 months. He has a good solid 3-5 hours of activity every day

My collegue here at work had a portguese water dog that the breader recommened be on a raw food diet. He said it did not go well as the dog developed a bad case of the runs that was rectified by switching to a dry food.

I have a 4 year old german shepherd and feed her wellness ocean core as well table scraps. Usually fish and potatos, or whatever my kids decide to throw on the floor!

Lots of resources and opinions out there, I think one needs to see what works best for their dog

I think a diet that is balanced and scientifically proven is better than any concocted diets we can think up. It is like what diet of the week will the people use to lose weight. We hear about the veggie only diet or the meat only diet both are exact opposite of each other but both are touted as being the greatest way to lose weight. My vet has always guided me with feeding a balanced dog food with dog treats that are also formulated for their health. He did not specify the brand nor did he say I had to buy the food from him. My dogs do get a few snacks from the counter for taste not nutrition.

Art