Rip Jigging Walleye

captpierre

Tried rip jigging this weekend on the Kawarthas.

Found 10 ft feedbeds near deeper water.

Black bucktail jigs with some white, yellow or chartrues hairs included did the trick. 1/2 oz.

Never done this before. Just swept the rod sideways 3 ft or so, paused to pick up the slack and repeat.

If incountered weeds, jerked it a bit. Usually weeds didn't stick. If I felt them, a vigourous jerk usually got them off.

Caught 5. 4 in the slot. One 24 inch.

Anybody else use this technique or know of a better way?

Does it also work later in the season?

peter

Edited by captpierre

Works for me and obvious it worked for you last weekend

I usually look for the cabbage weeds rather than the tall tree like weeds (best way I can describe)

I tie my own bucktails mixing different colours streamers or kristal flash etc.

I have found that early and late in the season works best for me.

Hope this helps

cheers

glenn

Other than late evening, that is the way I do most of my walleye fishing, that or if the breeze is right I'll drift fish which amounts to the same sort of pattern but the waves do all the work for you.

Late evening I usually switch up to a #3 mepps and work the weed edges, I like to anchor just on the weed line and cast the mepps out and let it flutter to bottom. You have to watch your line though as many of the hits come while it is falling to bottom and you have to be quick to set the hook.

I'm in the hunt for walleye but no luck. Luckily this thread still gives me some hope for this season!

What rod would you use for ripping/snapping buck tails? What's the difference between the two?

I got a eyecon that's 6'8" M, x-fast. says snap jig on the rod but is it alright for the rippin as well?

Bobogo, that rod is fine. Spool it up with 20lb braid, and rip away.

I like the schmitty jigs, but haven't tried Big Jims. I'm sure they're great if they're made by the big guy!

I use a 3/8 oz jig on a med/fast rod and just like described, throw it in the weeds and rip it straight up. I tend to keep my casts short, and never take your eye off your line. 99% of your hits will be on the drop, so if you miss the tick on your line, you will miss a lot of hits.

Black/yellow, black/chartreuse, and black/perch are my favourite colours.

Good luck, and keep atter, this technique definitly works well, especially on days when its bright, and calm! Those days the eyes are buried in the weeds.

Cloudy, windy days, I'll troll harnesses and do better. I think the bright calm days they hide further into the weeds, and cloudy, windy days they hang out closer to the edges, and are more willing to chase down a harness, or jerk bait.

S.

Big Cliff, you ought to try Cicadas. In most instances they will out produce jigs using this technique.

Never heard of them other than the real life ones that live in the trees? Tell me more please and post a picture if you can, it would be much appreciated.

That's all I do for Rice lake 'eyes.

No better way that I've found.

Edit to add: BIG JIM'S bucktails are the best around! I swear by those bad boys!

Not sure how many of those heads Jim still has left, the guy who used to pour for Jim retired and i bought both of the molds from him, and had another custom made to fit a mustad Ultra-point, as i have used that particular style for about 15 years, and your right theres no better mold for rippin, and when airbrused they look damn fine at least to the angler, and also the big eyes. I know the old Rice Lake walleye firefighter tourney was won at least 6 times with that jig style, the mold was very limited prioduction, and did not sell well, as it was never marketed as a rippin head, and became discontinued, it came out, before the big rippin push came about, and was designed for for draggin, hence its name slide a long jig mold. Jim does make some bananas as well, but i think the one your talking about stoty is the other style

what it boils down to walleye like weeds...weeds can be hard to fish....get a bait to go to bottom near a walleye he will usually eat it

rip jigging is just a way to work weeds....the sunny hot days I go deeper into the weeds...works all yr for me

Not sure how many of those heads Jim still has left, the guy who used to pour for Jim retired and i bought both of the molds from him, and had another custom made to fit a mustad Ultra-point, as i have used that particular style for about 15 years, and your right theres no better mold for rippin, and when airbrused they look damn fine at least to the angler, and also the big eyes. I know the old Rice Lake walleye firefighter tourney was won at least 6 times with that jig style, the mold was very limited prioduction, and did not sell well, as it was never marketed as a rippin head, and became discontinued, it came out, before the big rippin push came about, and was designed for for draggin, hence its name slide a long jig mold. Jim does make some bananas as well, but i think the one your talking about stoty is the other style

I'm not sure who/where he gets the heads from now, but I know that he can make as many bucktails as you want. I just shoot him a text with whatever I want, and within a day or two, we meet up.

Yes stoty is right big Jim's buck tails are awesome !!!!! And in any color you want as well !!!they hold up really well too !!!have even caught lake trout on them rippin weeds early in the spring for eyes !!!!!!

They sure are durable! I have one in particular that has literally been tied on since the start of the season, a month ago. Been in the yaps of plenty of Rice lake eyeballs, and literally looks BRAND NEW still.

Bucktail get labeled as a ripping bait.

What they are is the most versatile weed bait for fishing. They can be slowly pop, very good swimming bait, and about 20 % of my bites the bait is just sitting on the bottom.

When a buddy says they would hit bucktails I had to switch to plastic I know they can't slow down, they read the article heard the storys.

• 1 year later...