A Ray of Sunshine, and hope for those who still suffer

mercman

I am a 57 year old man, born on May the 8th, 1990. How can this be possible you ask? well, here goes.

Tomorrow marks the aniversary on my 23rd year of sobriety.I was, in effect, born on that day, largely thanks to the men and women of Alcoholics Anonymous. On May 8, 1990, i picked up the phone, called A.A. central, and begged for help. Within 45 minutes,a knock at my door signaled a changing day in my life. I opened the door and was greeted by 2 very sober members of A.A. who took me to my first meeting, where i was surrounded by people who knew exactly how i felt. For the first time ever, i was not alone.

I'd like to say that life has been smooth and even since that day, but life has twists and turns that we can never predict. Parents die,friends change, relationships rise and fall.....Last year alone, i lost my Mom to Alzheimers, and my wife of 20 years to another man.If i had looked at the rest of my life as a whole, i would have gotten wasted.

But, I was taught how to live my life, One Day at a Time, and take myself apart, and put myself back together again, to become the man i was destined to be.

I start this new year of my life, a very happy man. I am sober, healthy, and recently,smoke free. At 57, i have met my soulmate too.You know that crazy, silly, feeling that you got when you kissed your first girl or boy? Well, i never had that feeling till January this year.We are buying a house together in June, and i cant imagine spending what life i have left, with antone else.

Anyways, i just wanted to mention this once again, as i do every year. For me, the more people i tell i am a recovering alcoholic, the stronger my sobriety gets.For me, being a recovering alcoholic, gives me a sense of pride, and reinforces my will to stay sober.

The last time i posted my story, i inspired 2 members to join AA and as far as i know, they are still sober today.

Thanks for listening once again, be well, all of you, and thanks for all of your support.

Paul

Paul you after posting this again it shows the steps you took turned you into a leader not a loser, bravo and I have the utmost respect for you. And I mean this in a positve learning experience, my cousin years ago in Sudbury had a few to many before he went to see his wife in the hospital, he never made it there, his wife gave birth to the baby 3 days after she buried her husband.

It is like an infection, it creeps up on u a little at a time and then one day u realize you can take control of your life and enjoy all that life has to offer thru the good times and thru the creativity of molding the negative things into positive ones.

So happy for your new relationship and the continued direction you choose to travel, definitely better than winning the lottery. Your message will touch and positively affect the lives of many, some of which you may never even get to know.

Blizz

Thanks Blizz

Fact is, my new love was married to an active drunk for 8 years. He died at 48 from massive internal leeding from a damaged liver, 1 year after she left him.I see the affects in her young adult children. It binds us together stronger than a normal relationship, because i am aware of the destruction we can do to a familly, and she is aware of the strength and determination it took for me to become me again.

Congrats on another year of life, another friend of Bill here. Its amazing how good life gets when you get rid of those demons........the truth will set you free.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I have allways been open about my drinking.Answered alot of questions too.Latest was my new love asking me if she could kiss me after a glass of wine LOL. i just looked and winked at her and said "no tongues" :w00t: .....I guess when you dont understand the "disease", you dont know. :P

Good for you!!! You have regained control of your life. I've known many folks who were addicted to either alcohol,drugs or gambling and it wasn't a good scene for themselves and their families. None of them did anything about it and many are now gone.

Awesome Paul, although I don't know you, im proud of you my man..Your story im sure is inspiration to many keep spreading the great word. Oh and Congrats on the new lady friend.. I wish you both the best!

It takes a lot of balls to do what you have done and what you are doing. I am going to forward your post to a dear friend that doesn't think she has hit rock bottom. Rock bottom is the starting point for most addicts. Hopefully if your story changes just one life it's the same as entering a burning building to save a life. But you don't get a medal from some mayor or Governor General. The best part for those such as yourself that want to help another human being is they don't need a metal or want one.

But you do deserve one.

Inspiring. We go the first 13 to 18 years of our life without willing puting toxins in our system and for many people looking back those are the greatest years of their life! its a very sad dark hole some people willing jump into due to divers reasons but its a very slippery hole to climb back out of, kudos to all of you who have struggled and succeeded and also kudos to those who continue to struggle the juice willl be worth the squeeze!

Hats off to you all, keep hope alive....

You sir are an inspiration. Much more than just a "ray of sunshine". Congrats.

Why Thanks KF !!! Sad fact is, only 1 in 10 are ever able to achieve and maintain sobriety foor any length of time. You can honor the inspiration by keeping in mind, the next time you see a drunk, that it is NOT how he wants to live his life.He is not weak willed or worthless. He is caught up in the denial caused by a horrendous disease, that is a mental obssesion, followed by a physical compulsion to drink. He probably started out just like anyone else, drinking a couple of drinks to dull the senses, but being a progressive disease, it became necessary to increase the drinking to huge amounts, to dull the same senses.

Remove the booze, and he returns to the man or woman that he or she should have been. My drinking almost killed me. I am lucky.... hundreds of thousands are not.

Paul

Well Paul you have had a few lows in your life but you climbed out of them and you have succeeded when most probably thought you were a goner,My hats off too you!!!!!!!!!!!!

vance

Congrats Paul. As you know I also struggle with that Demon, but am sober myself and loving life right now. Keep up the good fight buddy and I'm glad things are looking up for you. Enjoy it!!!