Was there ever a point where you switched species ?

muskymatt

I've had a lot of fun, more increasingly so the last 4 years, fishing lake trout and even on lake O fishing Browns and although I am primarily a muskie guy, I do fish numerous other species. I will still fish muskie but I have been thinking of doing more fishing for Lakers and Salmon. Now I have to rethink my gear , tackle and bodies of water.

Anybody done the big species switch?

Any must have gear suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

When I had the boat,I was a bass guy all the way,even went as far as buying a bass boat and fishing tournys. Now going back to the river for trout and fly fishing for the same,plus other fish on the fly,I have found a new /renewd, passion..I find myself spending here and there. No different then any other fish.

FISHING COSTS,,IT,S NICE TO KNOW THE COST,MAKES ME HAPPY AND SADISFIED

I was a big time steelheader, Custom Equipment All the top stuff. Got tired of the rat race and only enjoyed doing Superior trips. Thats to far for every chance fishing so I took up Musky and I certainly wish they'd be more understanding of the switch and be more cooperative.

A true fisherman knows how to catch all species, under any conditions. I consider myself a true multi-species fisherman. Its hard to fit it all in, but. I like to fish for everything.

S.

I'd like to think I'm in the same boat. Last 5 years or so,"what do you want to fish for"?,let's go .lol.

when I go fishing, I bait my hook and hope for the best. I know my lake contains walleye,

pike, perch., whitefish, ling and suckers so whatever hits my line is what i'm after for that cast.

when I go to a different lake, I target the species I know is in that lake, whatever hits my line.

Used yo fish bass and muskies.

Bass were too boring so I stopped fishing for them.

Muskies were ok but once I got my trophy I stopped fishing for them too. :D

Didn't really think there was much chance of beating my big one.

My real love is for cool and cold water fish.

Pike, lakers, whitefish and other trout and char species are my faves. :good::good:

focus on certain species depending on opening seasons, peak runs, etc...but basically fish for anything that swims year round without too much preference

but I do find myself going through technique specific phases...fly fishing, single hand vs spey, pinning, downrigging/trolling vs casting and jigging, etc

I was a multi fish guy with a great passion for the eyes until one June when I was bit off many times over a couple weekends. I went home the night before Father's Day and rebuilt all my worm harnesses with 20lbs PP and caught a huge musky with my dad on Father's Day it ate my 12 1/2" walleye I have been hooked ever since.

The reasons I am so obsessed with musky.

I don't eat fish perfict

I love the challenge of finding fish

I love the unknowing of what might I catch

I love to work for my fish not set a line and relax

I like to go out with high hopes and get my ass handed to me with no results but learning something.

I would get bored of always catching fish when walleye fishing or bass perch just put your line in a catch them.

Don't get me wrong I still love to fish others but I just love the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy any time on the water but am in love with musky.

I used to be almost strictly pike. One of the oldest species on earth for a few good reasons. Once i started trolling salmon on lake o i had some fun in the summer when the pike went deep. Now i like to fish pike in spring, salmon in summer, pike and musky in the fall. All i can say is that im glad ive expanded my horizons but pike are still #1. Good luck with your new pursuit:)

"Mostly" cut my teeth on a northern trio of walleye, pike and specks. Still live every year with opportunities for those fish... but in recent years sure haven't minded adding extras on. Lakers, gar, whitefish, crappies, smallies, rainbows, muskies... Will soon have to give the salmon a go. it all adds to the experience and your experience.

Matt... you're solid with the skis and lakers especially, don't stop that because they're two great species. But yeah man, just pile on more!!!

I was totally obsessed with Steelhead in my younger days. I'd hardly ever attend high school when the run was on. But I always had a passion for Brook Trout ever since my Dad used to take me out to local streams for those 8 and 10 inch jewels when I was a kid. It wasn't until I was able to drive and explore the area for bigger fish that the Steelhead took a backseat. So yes, I guess that I can say that I've switched. Salmon are fun. Walleye are great eats. I'd rather not catch a Pike than catch one.

I fish for trout. I used to fish for everything, but my life is too hectic, other than a very occasional pickerel or panfish trip, so primarily just trout when hunting doesn't get in the way. Sold my big boat and the works about 5 years ago, don't regret it...... often lol!

Edited by porkpie